Hiding a cache in a tall hollow pole.

FMT15

I want to hide a cache in a pole that is about six feet tall and hollow. I want to hang it about halfway down and make it so cachers have to drop it to the bottom rather than pull it out. Any suggestions? My first thought was tie fishing line to a key ring which is locked on a combination lock.. I have a feeling people will just pull the line up without using the combo to release the line. Any ideas welcome. Thanks

I think the biggest problem would be getting finders to put it back in pole the way you intended. For some reason, the easy way out seems to be the rule. For example, I have a cache that's in a big hollowed out stump. I drilled into the inside stump wall to put the container in there. Every time I've checked it, the container has just been thrown back into the "floor" of the stump.

Oh, and I do have one that is the same as you want to do, only it does have to be pulled up out of the top.

Edited by GrateBear
I want to hang it about halfway down and make it so cachers have to drop it to the bottom rather than pull it out.

Can you get a pulley about halfway down? If you arranged a weighted pulley system, people could pull a rope down with the container attached. Then when they're finished, the weight would pull it back up into place.

you can seal the bottom of the pole and leave a small drain hole and put the cache in a small tube or something that floats. then the object would be to fill the tube with water so the cache then floats to the top. then they can grab it out of the top. make it so the water that drains out drains back into a bucket so the water can be reused. leave a hint like: some things sink and some things don't. make the pole about a foot or two that way it don't take much water. if you create this cache please send me the name of it. thank you

you can seal the bottom of the pole and leave a small drain hole and put the cache in a small tube or something that floats. then the object would be to fill the tube with water so the cache then floats to the top. then they can grab it out of the top. make it so the water that drains out drains back into a bucket so the water can be reused. leave a hint like: some things sink and some things don't. make the pole about a foot or two that way it don't take much water. if you create this cache please send me the name of it. thank you

I already know of a cache like that! Pretty cool. Haven't done it myself yet though.

For what you want (making the finder retrieve from the bottom and not the top), a pulley system is probably your best bet. Depending on how yor set it up, you could provide no string on the cache end, but rather, magnetize the container so the finder has to pull it down using a strong magnet walked along the outside of the pole.