how angry folks get when they are disappointed

NanCycle

it has been my experience that there are three main reasons that a proxy exists -

1. original owner did not want to release (and thus risk losing) the actual item

2. original owner released the item, it went missing, the proxy was released (by the original owner) in its place

3. original owner released the item, a later finder kept (stole) the original item, and substituted a proxy

- - - -

as for proxy travel bugs - I guess that it all depends on your definition

on a few occasions, I have seen a laminated piece of paper with a photo-copy of the original dog tag

I've experienced 2&3, but I'd never heard of anyone doing the first. Quite an eye opener!

Before this boils over folks... the comment does not appear to be directed at passing judgment on people for not moving proxies.

Not an accurate statement, as Tennessee Jed was commenting on a post of mine that included the information that "I don't destroy proxy coins, but I also won't move them." But I am not boiling about it. :D This is just a discussion, and I am open to learning various points of view.

But nothing I have read on this issue has yet produced anything that has caused me to alter my opinion that my personal choice to not move or release proxies in any way hurts the game or other geocachers.

Hmm... that's not how I read it at all. He notes your position on proxies in any opening line then ask for clarity on that statement.

He brings up a philosophical and ethical platform in the next paragraph and asks a question to the community at large. Notice he says "who should judge" rather than "who are you to judge".

He then follows with a closing paragraph stating his case on what he believes should be the basis of merit for pleasure and satisfaction. Of course then he follows it up with sarcasm which doesn't help his case :rolleyes:

At any rate my comment is raised to redirect this conversation back on topic. Which of course is what would motivate someone to deliberately destroy someone else's property? It doesn't matter that anyone chooses not to move proxies and that is not the topic at hand. Let's get back to the topic at hand. You mentioned your stats and the rate of traveling vs. non-traveling with regards to which type. I have to say that is simply amazing to me! It's the first case I've ever heard of (probably because I hear so much more about coins in general, but still...) where TBs are disappearing faster. I'm really curious if there's a way to look at the GC database to see how many coins vs. TBs are missing currently by percentage of total activated. Now that would be an eye opener I'm sure. :unsure:

DITTO to the statement about statistics from the GS database.

i think this would be a real eye opener.

Before this boils over folks... the comment does not appear to be directed at passing judgment on people for not moving proxies.

Not an accurate statement, as Tennessee Jed was commenting on a post of mine that included the information that "I don't destroy proxy coins, but I also won't move them." But I am not boiling about it. :D This is just a discussion, and I am open to learning various points of view.

But nothing I have read on this issue has yet produced anything that has caused me to alter my opinion that my personal choice to not move or release proxies in any way hurts the game or other geocachers.

Hmm... that's not how I read it at all. He notes your position on proxies in any opening line then ask for clarity on that statement.

He brings up a philosophical and ethical platform in the next paragraph and asks a question to the community at large. Notice he says "who should judge" rather than "who are you to judge".

He then follows with a closing paragraph stating his case on what he believes should be the basis of merit for pleasure and satisfaction. Of course then he follows it up with sarcasm which doesn't help his case :rolleyes:

At any rate my comment is raised to redirect this conversation back on topic. Which of course is what would motivate someone to deliberately destroy someone else's property? It doesn't matter that anyone chooses not to move proxies and that is not the topic at hand. Let's get back to the topic at hand. You mentioned your stats and the rate of traveling vs. non-traveling with regards to which type. I have to say that is simply amazing to me! It's the first case I've ever heard of (probably because I hear so much more about coins in general, but still...) where TBs are disappearing faster. I'm really curious if there's a way to look at the GC database to see how many coins vs. TBs are missing currently by percentage of total activated. Now that would be an eye opener I'm sure. :unsure:

i'm sure the SELLERS of coins would prefer that we DIDN'T know how many were missing.