Say NO to nanos

Jester1970

Cards on the table, I HATE nanos. I mainly go geocaching now when I'm off hillwalking, simply because it's usually a decent sized container, with a proper log book and room for TBs which will be found.

I've had a look round Glasgow and the majority of caches are bloody nanos. Can we not have an icon on the search results page showing cache size?

Until then, I have, where space permits, renamed all my caches, adding cache size to the name. If you own proper caches, why not stand up and let people know. Rename your caches! Say NO to nanos!

Not sure what you mean now - there is already a size icon in the D/T column on the search page. It doesn't help at present when some nanos are listed as micros and the rest as other.

Begs the question when is a Nano not a Nano. Most people include a nano in the 'other' area although this can also be used for peculiar sized containers or where people just cant make up their mind. I have hidden a nano sized log/container in a hollowed out block of wood that is attached to a fence post. Is the size related to the larger container or the capsule with the log in it?

Not sure what you mean now - there is already a size icon in the D/T column on the search page. It doesn't help at present when some nanos are listed as micros and the rest as other.

A Nano IS a Micro. It states "film tub and smaller" in the guidelines.

Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Bring on the day GS instate the Nano size. (And how quick will cache setters change their cache size to 'Nano', and not leave it set to 'Other' 'Not Listed' or 'Micro' <_<

Well I like them as I like all types of container. I go caching for the walk I don't care what the container is or if its even there .

Wholeheartedly agree. Caching for us, is about the things you see, learn and experience along the way , or the vista when you get there. As we have no children in tow and do not 'do' trackables, the size of the container is of no consequence to us.

I do however understand that some may feel differently as (I think) the original principal was to swap stuff and this isn't always possible when its a micro or smaller.

Edited to add... I do care if its there though!

Edited by thehoomer

For me, it's about the adventure and the hunt. I'm not too bothered if there's swaps or not. Although I can see that kids like swaps, I left school a long time ago. So I'm happy to do entire series of nanos, and even when I'm in a woodland where it's possible to hide a fridge, I'm still happy to hunt for a nano, provided it's not a needle in a haystack situation.

But I'd certainly agree that there should be a size "nano", and possibly also "pico" (see Latimer Phone Box, where you could get three dozen caches of that size into a standard nano). I'm really surprised that the mighty brains of Groundspeak, capable of coming up with the "Kiss a frog" challenge, don't seem to give any priority to this category.

If people always hide the biggest container the location would take then this would certainly reduce the amount of micros and nanos out there.

Nanos and Micros are fine when you can't hide anything bigger and I have found some very good ones over the years but also some poor ones. There are quite a lot of nanos hidden around my area which are cleverly hidden but been a rural area I would perfer more bigger caches.

Meant as a lighthearted reply, and no offence intended, honest....

(says me dragging out me soapbox)

I hate drive by's,

I hate water,

I hate hawthorn,

I hate ivy,

I hate cows,

I hate mud, and I hate cow 'calling cards'(theres a difference),

I hate hills (of the upward variety),

I hate towns,

I hate DNF's,

I hate muggled caches.

What do I like,

I like early mornings,

I like early evenings,

I like the solitude,

I like forests & woods & quarries,

I like the peace & quiet of a 'lone cacher'.

But...add any of my 'hates' to any of my 'likes' and the result will be a 'LIKE'.

To me its all about enjoying the day, whatever it brings. Nano or large...whatever, no one MAKES me go look for for 'em.

Is it not about the variety of cache that we search out.

Nano to Large, ok with me. Memorable caches come in all sizes. How boring would it be if all caches were either 35mm containers or tupperware boxes??

To be honest my biggest hate is.....

SATURATION, you know what I mean. Placing a cache "just 'cos you can".

As I said, a lighthearted reply. Its your hobby, its my hobby....enjoy whatever floats your boat.

Croesgadwr.

North Wales

Edited by Croesgadwr

If you own proper caches, why not stand up and let people know. Rename your caches! Say NO to nanos!

You omitted to explain WHY you hate nanos so much. Personally I'm not too keen on them because I find the log signing rather fiddly. Apart from that, as long as they have a suitable hint I don't mind them per se; but I'd rather find a nicely-hidden micro.

If you own proper caches, why not stand up and let people know. Rename your caches! Say NO to nanos!

You omitted to explain WHY you hate nanos so much. Personally I'm not too keen on them because I find the log signing rather fiddly. Apart from that, as long as they have a suitable hint I don't mind them per se; but I'd rather find a nicely-hidden micro.

I like 'em.

I sign

"WhataSupercalifragilisticexpialidociouscache. Thankseversomuchforthisone. Bear and Ragged."

Followed by a Needs Maintenance log.

Notice how I don't include letter spacing, in order to save space!

:laughing:

I find the major problem with nanos is that - By the time you have managed to unwind the tiny strip of (quite often damp) paper THERE IS NO SPACE LEFT AT ALL TO TRY AND SIGN THE dadgum THING !!!and even if you manage to find somewhere to sign you have to try and wind it back up again - Although being fairly dumb I used to carefully wind up the strip and put it in the main body of the nano then try and screw the lid back on. A caching buddy then said - "why not wind it into the lid first then it will slip more easily into the body of the thing DOH ! And another thing !!

All the "Off your trolly" caches seem to be magnetic micros placed on/in/round/under trolly corrals and you get very funny looks from people whilst you are lurking around (to plagarise a well known cacher's signature "That muggle looked at me funny" !!! Nanos are the spawn of the devil

Although I have been given a few so I expect I shall have to put them out

Surely you should have to specify the size of the cache.

Sometimes, for example if it's a sneaky or camoflaged container then you don't want to publicise the size in case it gives too much away.

Maybe they should also be allowed to omit the difficulty rating to ensure that we don't know it's hard to find?

If stating the size gives it away then it isn't very sneaky or very well camoflaged IMO and the hider needs to try harder if they want to make it difficult!

A Micro... as anything the size of a 35mm film can or smaller should be.

Technically you are correct. But it's better to list them as 'other', or put a description of the size in the listing, as changes the places you will look for them.

IMHO anyway :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghh.

Why? :(:( Why is it better to list them as "other"???

Surely the best option is to list them as Micro ('coz that's what they are at the moment) and put a description of the size in the listing?

....it's just handy to know what size of cache you are looking for!

It surely is... but listing a cache size as 'other' gives you absolutely no information at all. You can't filter nanos out if they're listed as 'other' because not all 'other' sized cache containers are nanos. At least if they're listed as 'micro', you can filter them out along with all the other micros.

Surely you should have to specify the size of the cache.

Sometimes, for example if it's a sneaky or camoflaged container then you don't want to publicise the size in case it gives too much away.

Maybe they should also be allowed to omit the difficulty rating to ensure that we don't know it's hard to find?

If stating the size gives it away then it isn't very sneaky or very well camoflaged IMO and the hider needs to try harder if they want to make it difficult!

The point being that sometimes the "hunt" is made harder if you do not add a size. The finder may assume a certain size and thus mislead themselves. It's a little like leaving out a hint, it's one less clue to narrow it down.

Someone else mentioned saturation, which is one reason. In the years b.n. (before nanos) you may have did a multicache, visiting locations, picking up clues to a final location. This has given way to a small magnetic pimple placed on (in some places) every pillar and post. Every statue, plaque and point of interest seems now to have it's magnetic buddy.

In some cases it's the opposite. I've visited a few caches in terrible locations which are there simply because there isn't a cache around for 0.1miles. A street corner in Bishopbriggs and a dismal layby are two which spring to mind.

I will confess to owning one nano, and it is key to finding a larger cache.

I will pay more attention to the cache sizing icon in future, although if an area is saturated with caches I will avoid any descriptions of micro or other caches, as in likelihood they will be nanos.

I like 'em.

I sign

"WhataSupercalifragilisticexpialidociouscache. Thankseversomuchforthisone. Bear and Ragged."

Followed by a Needs Maintenance log.

Notice how I don't include letter spacing, in order to save space!

:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: