Is a parkade a commercial institution?

thebruce0

... However, they do make for an interesting urban hunt due to the vertical possibilities. We had some exhausting fun on an 8 floor version. Once you start second guessing your thoroughness on a previous floor...you're toast. :)

This makes me wonder. I suppose you could let people know which floor the cache is on...or not. :P

I'm also wondering what the satellite reception is like in parkades? Might make it extra challenging, eh?

I've never found a parkade-cache and I don't suppose I ever will go looking for one. To me, geocaching is about getting out and enjoying nature, not smelling gas fumes and crawling around on concrete. We also live in an earthquake zone, no doubt, a parkade wouldn't be the safest place to be.

Remember, the guidelines say that we must be getting permission when placing caches. Would the city really give you permission to place the cache in a parkade? Probably not.

This makes me wonder. I suppose you could let people know which floor the cache is on...or not. :P

I'm also wondering what the satellite reception is like in parkades? Might make it extra challenging, eh?

Unless you're close to the top and/or the sides of it, you can expect reception to be zilch. And even if you do have reception, accuracy would be terrible.

There once was a cache in a (commercially operated) elevator shaft that descends 77 meters into a hill of solid rock. There's several levels to it and there's also stairs providing access to the various levels. It was rated 5/1. I've never found it.

Edited by dfx

And there are plenty of caches out there that don't require active gps use to find the cache. Whether it's coordinates that lead to a cave entrance, or starting point for an obscured location, etc. Generally, as long as you've gotta use it at least once, it's acceptable. But don't quote me on that :ph34r:

... However, they do make for an interesting urban hunt due to the vertical possibilities. We had some exhausting fun on an 8 floor version. Once you start second guessing your thoroughness on a previous floor...you're toast. :)

I've never found a parkade-cache and I don't suppose I ever will go looking for one. To me, geocaching is about getting out and enjoying nature, not smelling gas fumes and crawling around on concrete. We also live in an earthquake zone, no doubt, a parkade wouldn't be the safest place to be.

Remember, the guidelines say that we must be getting permission when placing caches. Would the city really give you permission to place the cache in a parkade? Probably not.

There are ways. You start at the top where GPSr can function. Once you zero out, you hit that spot on each level. I agree that getting out on a trail is great, but if you're stuck downtown waiting on someone for an hour or so, might as well cache.

interesting to see the drastic changes over time

Commercial and larger stashes can bring even more fun to the experience. In order to attract customers to their store or business, they may advertise that they have a stash on their premises. Stashes within stores should be located at the posted coordinates and be marked with the letters GPS for Global Positioning Stash. The GPS box, closet, or room should function just like any other stash. There should be a logbook and places to take and leave items. The business may decide to feature samples of their products at their stash. A smart business should recognize that gps users can make very good customers and posting the coordinates get you to their door.

http://web.archive.org/web/200012051319/http://www.geocaching.com/faq.asp

I like this one too:

What is a Stamped Offset Stash?

From this site the stash hunter must look around and find offset numbers stamped in some part of the marker site. For instance, if the plaque has four mounting bolts you might find a 44 stamped in the head of the easterly bolt, and a 72 stamped in a northerly bolt. This would be a clue to go the stash location 44 meters east and 72 meters north.

That seems very ill-advised. I wonder how many cachers got caught trying to stamp numbers into an "existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark"? :blink: I see this was still in the FAQ up until the last time the Wayback Machine was able to crawl the page in August 2003.

Lots of the benchmarks around here are all gouged and scratched, maybe I should start looking for numbers in the scratches? :laughing:

I like this one too:

What is a Stamped Offset Stash?

From this site the stash hunter must look around and find offset numbers stamped in some part of the marker site. For instance, if the plaque has four mounting bolts you might find a 44 stamped in the head of the easterly bolt, and a 72 stamped in a northerly bolt. This would be a clue to go the stash location 44 meters east and 72 meters north.

That seems very ill-advised. I wonder how many cachers got caught trying to stamp numbers into an "existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark"? :blink: I see this was still in the FAQ up until the last time the Wayback Machine was able to crawl the page in August 2003.

Lots of the benchmarks around here are all gouged and scratched, maybe I should start looking for numbers in the scratches? :laughing:

Well, I do actually know a guy who removed hex head bolts in a park, and replaced them with his own "numbers stamped on heads" bolts. This was like 2005 though. Hey, they got newer bolts out of the deal. :huh:

Around here it depends on if there is security. I was looking for one that was found about a week before but I couldn't find it. Then a security came up behind me asking if I was looking for the geocache. Though he sounded like he heard of it, he also sounded like he was irritated by them. He was helping me look but I felt like he just wanted to know where it was. He said the manager makes the decisions on whether the cache belongs there or not but he told me he didn't really like them there because he gets reports of suspious activity by the patrons who park there which creates more work for him.

But most of the other garages I see don't have security except hospitals, and private companies. but that doesn't seem to stop cachers from taking the risk of placing them.

Commercial and larger stashes can bring even more fun to the experience. In order to attract customers to their store or business, they may advertise that they have a stash on their premises. Stashes within stores should be located at the posted coordinates and be marked with the letters GPS for Global Positioning Stash. The GPS box, closet, or room should function just like any other stash. There should be a logbook and places to take and leave items. The business may decide to feature samples of their products at their stash. A smart business should recognize that gps users can make very good customers and posting the coordinates get you to their door.

Man, I thought this long gone bumped thread would be the only time I ever heard the word "Parkade". :ph34r:

I hadn't actually looked at that Wayback Machine link before responding to the numbers stamped in "some part of the marker" quote. The link is very interesting. It's the Geocaching FAQ a full 3 months after the website went online in 2000. It's almost as if Jeremy is pontificating about some variations on the game, and even before Multi-caches and Locationless caches were created.

That is one heck of a change in policy on commercial caches though, compared to today's guidelines on Commericial caches. Rigorously enforced in certain regions of Canada. :lol:

They can do a 180 with the guidelines overnight and we would still be held to the guidelines in place at the time we hide our cache so I don't understand bumping this thread to quote a 10+ year old guideline.

Want to talk about changes in guidelines over the years? Start a new thread. There's LOTS to talk about.

I hadn't actually looked at that Wayback Machine link before responding to the numbers stamped in "some part of the marker" quote. The link is very interesting. It's the Geocaching FAQ a full 3 months after the website went online in 2000. It's almost as if Jeremy is pontificating about some variations on the game, and even before Multi-caches and Locationless caches were created.

Did you know that the original FAQ was written by Dave Ulmer and simply copied over to become the first version of the Geocaching.com FAQ's? If you want to accuse Jeremy of something, accuse him of plagiarism, not pontificating. :lol:

Did you know that the original FAQ was written by Dave Ulmer and simply copied over to become the first version of the Geocaching.com FAQ's? If you want to accuse Jeremy of something, accuse him of plagiarism, not pontificating. :lol:

Well no, I missed that. Embarrassing, really, for an amateur Geocaching historian like myself. Maybe if the FAQ mentioned Wonderts, I would have made the connection. :huh:

That is one heck of a change in policy on commercial caches though, compared to today's guidelines on Commericial caches. Rigorously enforced in certain regions of Canada. :lol:

so ridiculous i am considering moving to Alberta even if i have to plug in my car to warm it up 8 months a year :lol:

Well no, I missed that. Embarrassing, really, for an amateur Geocaching historian like myself. Maybe if the FAQ mentioned Wonderts, I would have made the connection. :huh:

Boy, did that term ever help me dig up an interesting thread from way back!! http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=56184

After just having found some caches in Austria and clearly seeing the difference now, I'm astonished. Holy cow, they're all commercial [sic]! Mentioning the pub that lies along the route by name and even saying how good the food is and inviting people to give it a try! I thought that was unheard of! [And that was just one example, one that I didn't actually find. Cue Mr Yuck with a "regional" comment :ph34r:]

Edited by dfx

Boy, did that term ever help me dig up an interesting thread from way back!! http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=56184

That helps explain why http://www.wondert.com has be such an abysmal failure. :ph34r: