geocacher found a real car - and got to keep it!

MissJenn

[This is being posted by a Groundspeak Lackey. We do not normally post promotional items - we are making an exception because we are so thrilled that a geocacher won!]

We are very pleased to learn that a geocacher won the 1st of 3 Dodge Journeys that are being given away:

Congratulations to MathProfessor and his son!

Some of you may have already seen this news yesterday on Twitter. There's something about geocachers that know how to search the maps, put the clues together and find the treasures out there. They found their SUV in Nevada.

The 2nd of the vehicles has already been found (Oklahoma). The clues for the 3rd of the vehicles will be released tomorrow. We know only that it will be somewhere in the eastern part of the US.

http://www.youtube.com/Dodge Other updates will be on Facebook and Twitter.

For those of you forum readers who are here right now, I am pleased to present you with two advance clues provided just to us geocachers by the contest organizers. Maybe another geocacher will win? Maybe it will be you!

1st advance clue:

edc84909-52d2-4443-a1dc-20db64368c71.jpg

second advance clue:

d28dd0f1-efb9-4d51-8c79-834f21d87254.jpg

Just heard about the journey that is to be un raveled this week-end, and thus far...heard VT, and now this...if a true real bonafide geocachers nudge, leads me to a pretty cool spot appx 200 miles away!

And if where they located the others is any indication, I may have an idea, as there is a very popular destination nearby!

Question is, is it real, and worth the drive based on such an early hunch!

Such fun still, a 1-in million chance at a kool geomobile!

Adding:

Well apparently the cat is out of the bag! I was trying to not post a spoiler, but that has already been accomplished, so let's see a second geocacher get this one, and hope a repetition of that cop incident does not transpire a second time!

Edited by yawppy

Appears to be a New York State flag on the ferry and the Malta Drive In sign is a match for Malta NY.

Yup, that's what I got, too.

310Malta.jpg

However, it appears that there are several Malta drive-ins in New York and even other states. However, this sign, that appears by the Malta, NY drive-in, is also in the picture:

Photo145161.jpg

Appears to be a New York State flag on the ferry and the Malta Drive In sign is a match for Malta NY.

Ok duh, it is on a ferry, i was searching all around on the map

Malta, NY is about 3.5 hours from me. The Hudson river flows just a bit to the east of Malta and there are a couple of stretches of road in between small towns where a ferry could have existed but the ferry in the photo looks relatively new. Lake Champlain is not all that far away and it has several ferries.

Hi All-

First, this contest is absolutely real. I did find the first Journey and will be getting one (plus $7000 to help cover taxes) soon. Even better, we get to build it with our choice of colors, options, etc. So it is definitely worth going for it if you live near by. I hope a geocacher finds the next one, so let me give you some advice.

1) Be careful relying only on the video clues. The clues for the Western Journey didn't really help me get to the final location. What they really did was take you from the "start" towards the finish. For example, the West clues showed San Francisco (the starting point), Napa, Placerville, Kyburz, and Lake Tahoe. The vehicle was actually about 15 miles from Tahoe. But there was one scene that was filmed at the location (it showed the car driving along an alpine meadow), so keep an eye out for something like that. The Midwest scenes, when put in order, also pushed you towards the location of the 2nd car. I would pin all of the locations you know and look for an order that takes you towards a remote location. The extra clues released to this page should help create the path.

2) Use the live webcam to help you zero in on the location of the car. Ours had a mountain in the background that we used as a landmark. The shadows helped us determine the orientation of the shot so we could figure out which mountain it was. I also printed out a screenshot to reference while driving around.

These should help you in your search. If you would like some more ideas (for people that are serious about the hunt and will be close), feel free to contact me through Geocaching.com. This is by far the greatest FTF prize of all time, and I now have a story to tell for the rest of my life. I hope one of you gets to have the same experience.

Happy Hunting!

Just heard about the journey that is to be un raveled this week-end, and thus far...heard VT, and now this...if a true real bonafide geocachers nudge, leads me to a pretty cool spot appx 200 miles away!

And if where they located the others is any indication, I may have an idea, as there is a very popular destination nearby!

Question is, is it real, and worth the drive based on such an early hunch!

Such fun still, a 1-in million chance at a kool geomobile!

Adding:

Well apparently the cat is out of the bag! I was trying to not post a spoiler, but that has already been accomplished, so let's see a second geocacher get this one, and hope a repetition of that cop incident does not transpire a second time!

cop incident?

I'm too far away to look so here's what I got with my detective work: At the :45 mark in the 1 minute video we can see the last car to be found(the one with the bikes) passing by an Uncle Sam roadside thing. After searching a roadside attraction site, I confirmed that the car is passing northbound by the Magic Forest Park in Lake George, New York. This happens to be north of Malta, NY so we can pretty much verify it's final location is in that direction. After taking in the clue of a car ferry, I would guess Lake Champlain has something to do with it.

Congrats to MathProfessor. I watched you FTF. If I had know you were a cacher, at the time I was watching, I would have been jumping up and down. You should have given the secret geocaching hand sign.

A good site for advance speculation is stevenbarley.net.

Good luck to all you cachers hunting the Journey.

Looks like the ferry shot is probably the Ticonderoga Ferry. (see here: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6947099)

The direction of the car is facing on the ferry would be correct considering the general direction of travel where it was confirmed to be coming from. So it went eastward from this point.

Man, I wished I lived closer!

It is the Ti ferry. All the other NY state clues show the vehicle moving south towards albany.

Were the clues for the other Journeys showing the vehicle moving away from its final point as well? Or is this vehicle south of Albany?

I had a quick review of tape one and in tape two heard a voice reference to the 'oldest organized sports venue in US' which would be

Saratoga Race Course in Sarasota Springs NY.

Edit: Todays 3 shows a reference to 'queen of american lakes' which would be Lake George. NY

Doug 7rxc Re doing all of it now, sorry I'm in late.

Edited by 7rxc

The Malta theater is located in Ballston Spa, New York. I live in colorado so I am no where near or will be near it in the next week. I hope this helps anyone on tracking it.

These are what I have so far from the pictures and the uncle Sam figure in the ad. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2785+Route+9+Ballston+Spa,+NY&daddr=Bloody+Pond+Rd%2FCounty+Rd+59+to:43.52668,-73.67293+to:NY-74+E%2FFort+Ti+Rd&hl=en&ll=43.092961,-73.591919&spn=2.559223,5.817261&sll=43.008225,-73.818598&sspn=0.03973,0.090895&geocode=FU8rkAIdfwua-ykPn3Hf2T7eiTHnm1ZylMlnLQ%3BFQEplgIdGGSb-w%3BFRgqmAIdHteb-ymVFaDFHujfiTGB2nwNMeXiBg%3BFaYonQIdsjSg-w&vpsrc=6&gl=us&mra=ls&via=2&t=m&z=8

Point A is where the Malta drive in is. Point B is the Magic Forest where Uncle Sam is. Point C is where the I think the ferry is.

Edited by Foxy Starra

Hi All-

If I was out there, I would be looking for the barn that shows up at the very end of the 500 mile clue video. At about 0:23 they show the Journey turning right and a barn is in the background. My Journey was found very close to where one of the clips was filmed. Notice also that there is a fish shaped sign on the power pole. No guarantees (of course), but worth a shot for those of you in the area.

Cheers,

Professor Bruce

Hi All-

If I was out there, I would be looking for the barn that shows up at the very end of the 500 mile clue video. At about 0:23 they show the Journey turning right and a barn is in the background. My Journey was found very close to where one of the clips was filmed. Notice also that there is a fish shaped sign on the power pole. No guarantees (of course), but worth a shot for those of you in the area.

Cheers,

Professor Bruce

BTW Congrats! I started reviewing all the video when I heard about this this morning... there are more things showing up than most are mentioning... I got one set of road signs that are sort of readable just before the end of the initial video... those appear to be on the VT side of the ferry but I've just finished for the day and will go and look for more. Used to edit video, so I notice things that approach sublimnal speeds... comes from scanning tapes for stuff to cut out or in.

You ever figure out how to 'borrow' a Youtube video, I'd love to do a session with my editor.

Seems like the 'live' shot is the same barn/stable in most of the inside shots including today's issuance. The first mention about Saratoga's horses made me think that might have been it... and as for the offered coordinates, I can only say nice field... but it may be close.

I notice that their instructions say clearly to follow the offerings in correct order, that may not be the video order in the first video.. editors can change things around.

edit: spelling and to say that when I got onto the DYT page again, they have been showing slides on camera live... missed a lot of them, supposed to be on twitter too.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Hi All-

Cheers,

Professor Bruce

I just found the area where the ad ends on google maps. Your right the fish sign is on the pole just like in the ad. I really wish I was in NY right now. dadgum it I need a teleport device from Colorado. lol

I've got to get caught up.. the 4th video (range?) shows a sat nav being set for Friends Lake NY.

The 5th video shows the guy picking up a jersey (mocked?) for the Adirondak Marathon, plus voice over mentioning it.

Schroon Lake is home to that event. Oh yes... I noticed that the event used Adirondack in the name, I may have glimpsed it wrong of course, but with my eyes... ha! 74 of course was the highway number.

Also noted that the malta drive in was showing 'the Paradox', also the name of a local town passed by on the way to the ferry.

Since I'm not hunting this thing I was trying to ID the house in the original scene... and just IDed the bridge crossed in the next ones... near Albany going north.

The slide show on the live camera transmission, I've only seen two. one was a road junction showing 7 south and 73 east (Brandon VT)

and one was the Orwell VT town hall, there was another I saw, but not in time for it to register for me... they have now stopped till 0900 EDT. I think they are posted on twitter, but I can't remember my pw. ha.

Road trips are often loops that come back near the starting point. Think like a multi perhaps. I don't know if the distances are road miles or a radius to the finish point. Should look at the first two hunts, I think.

This whole thing reminds me of the DARPA balloon hunt!

late edit: Slideshow pics are on Facebook not twitter

Dodge Slides

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Now has reached a state where they are saying nothing more by way of clues ONLINE... Last displayed slide live and phone number was

in Portland ME.

Now the fun starts for those in the field. Since that is the only way to get more information.

Going to go out to work on something today, so it may be gone when I get back...

One thing I was watching on the live feed (aside from chickens and the guy eating a bag lunch) was that over on the left side, the sun kept peeking through, shining on the wall near the LIVE sign. It stopped recently, 11:30 here or so... lets say 1:30 pm EDT.

either doesn't shine that direction after that, or someone closed the window. You can see a reflection on the red paint of the near fender that appears to be windows or something like that. One thought, chandlers used areas like that for storage and supplies for ships to stock up... just a thought.

I'm mostly just watching now, with the demise of the online clues.

Doug 7rxc

It's been found ... anybody know who? Hopefully another geocacher!

I don't know who found it but it looks like it was found in Maine, in between Tennants Harbor and Port Clyde. I was in that area a couple of years ago and I suspect that one would have to be pretty familiar with the area to find it considering all of the clues were in New York.

Definitely was Melissa... I've seen Teichman tentatively offered as a surname, but can't confirm that. There was a brief reference to an online copy of the find video on youtube, but it dissappeared while I was watching it.. that is the note that had it was moved off the available messages. Perhaps it's in my history buffer... or the computer I was using at the time... duh!

edit:

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

It's been found ... anybody know who? Hopefully another geocacher!

I don't know who found it but it looks like it was found in Maine, in between Tennants Harbor and Port Clyde. I was in that area a couple of years ago and I suspect that one would have to be pretty familiar with the area to find it considering all of the clues were in New York.

I personally,almost headed to Kennebunk ME, after watching the live slide show, as all the clues led up into VT, but it was in ME, and then the guy came in placed a stump, and a pic of the "Call" sign, but had no clue as to who to call, but see the number in the winner video, guess I should of been a bit more patient! LOL

But the feed seemed to stop, so the last clue Call...Had no clue and it was along the coast,a ways from Kennebunk, I think bout 250 mile estimated guess. either way a ways up, from RI, well hope Mellissa is a cacher, she now has a sweet ride!

go to youtube.com/dodge...shows the "Winner", and location.

I posted earlier...about the "Cop incident"....I heard the second journey...was "Found" by a cop who was in charge, or assisted in road blocks..."found" it, but never claimed it...lotta internet grapevine stuff.

So whether or not it was found am not sure, so that is the best I can do to clear that up for now.

But the feed seemed to stop, so the last clue Call...Had no clue and it was along the coast,a ways from Kennebunk, I think bout 250 mile estimated guess. either way a ways up, from RI, well hope Mellissa is a cacher, she now has a sweet ride!

It's quite a bit less than 250 miles from Kennebunk to where the car was found. It's more like 115. You also could stop at the Delorme headquarters in Yarmouth along the way. I stayed in a town called Owls Head for a week in the summers of 2009 and 2010 so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Owls Head is probably 17 miles from where the car was hidden. The towns in that area are *very* small. Rockland, at about 20 miles away is one of the biggest in the area and only has about 8000 residents. While there *are* active geocachers in the area I would guess that Melissa was a local that knew the area.

The whole "we hid something somewhere...find it and it yours" might be an interesting new kind of geocache, It might be sort of like a one time challenge, but with a container or object that could be taken by the first person to complete the challenge. A "cache" page could just use the logs for the creator to post clues and if others could just "watch the listing" they'd see all the clues until it was claimed. I'm going to have to think about more to figure out the use of a GPS could be integral to the search but I might even submit something to the Feedback site if others thought it might be interesting.

...While there *are* active geocachers in the area I would guess that Melissa was a local that knew the area.

I don't think Melissa is a geocacher nor was she a local. Her story can be found here if you scroll down a bit: http://stevenbarley.net/2011/09/25/breaking-update-the-dodge-journey-east-has-been-found/

This is just one of her comments:

"Melissa: I still haven’t been able to catch up on sleep. I left VA Friday night at 7, slept 2 hours before the car went live at noon, slept 7-8 hours in NH, drove to Maine, then drove back to VA. I got a 1 1/2 hour nap in before my 2 year old woke up."

Regarding your new geocache idea. Have you tried this still unsolved hunt? The Canadian Club's Lake Placid hide http://www.hideacase.com/. I used topo maps, hiking/xcountry ski trail maps, and Google Earth to come up with a dozen likely search areas all of which have been loaded on my gps. Now it becomes a massive geocache hunt. I have to visit Whiteface before the first snows.

BTW, if you like urban hides, another very entertaining hunt is We Lost Our Gold. http://welostourgold.com/. This hunt uses landmarks along with bus and subway routes to find. It's still hasn't been located. Don't know how a gps would help though.