New submission form

fizzymagic

Jeremy indicates that the new cache submission form requires the use of Javascript. That, to my mind, is completely unacceptable. There is at least one very influential cacher in my area who does not have access to Javascript.

What's going on here? Why has the functionality of the site been so drastically reduced in the past month or so? I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that the new code base was supposed to make the site better, not less useful.

I noticed a problem where the form defaulted to 1 star difficulty and terrain after I edited it.

Also, there is no "submit" button. That threw me for a few moments. I suggest either adding a submit button, or changing the "edit listing" button to read "edit/submit listing"

"You can't make a man by standig a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I was confused by Jeremy's announcement on this. Is the Javascript going to be used in the forums also? He mentioned the ability to eliminate double posts. I didn't that think that was a problem with cache submissions.

I would rather reply directly to his announcement than have to find a thread about it under a different forum.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

I consider the new submission form to be a large step backwards from the previous form.

With the old form, if the submission didn't go thru because the server was too busy/buggy, you just hit the back button and you would go back to the form with all of the data intact. You could then hit submit a second time to see if it would take. Our family has submitted only 8 caches overall, but I can recall that on 2 of them the form submission didn't "take" and I had to hit the back button and resubmit them. Thats about a 25% failure rate for new submissions.

With the new form, if you hit back in your browser, you return to the completely blank form. You have to retype everything on the form again. All things being equal, that means with the new submission form, 25% of the time I'm going to be swearing at Jeremy.

I might accept that step backwards, if the new submission form actually had useful new checkbox features like:

- Dog Friendly Area

- Night Cache (parking available and no neighbors)

Just to name a couple that are from my personal wants.

quote:
Originally posted by rickrich:

With the old form, if the submission didn't go thru because the server was too busy/buggy, you just hit the back button and you would go back to the form with all of the data intact.

Just hit the refresh button if there's an error. There shouldn't be an error with the new server and report page.

JavaScript is not a requirement unless you switch countries from the US.

We'll be removing the Difficulty/Terrain so you have to choose it to post.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™