Garmin Montana V3.50

Catch

Montana (WebUpdater) software version 3.50

Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:

Improvements to the geocaching experience. See TrailTech(http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html) for more information.

Increased maximum number of characters allowed in Address and POI searches

Fixed possible shutdown with some shortcuts executed from the drawer

Fixed possible shutdown on powerup with mount related profile changes

Fixed inability to change data fields on status page dashboards

Fixed display of photos on review pages

Fixed possible shutdown when viewing a custom poi with a photo

Fixed potential paging issues with long geocaches logs

Fixed potential paging issues with long geocaches logs

This is one I reported to them some time ago. What happened was that when scrolling down through a description, the scrolling down stopped, and I had to scroll up and back down a few times for the rest of the text to appear.

(it's different from my other problem where the description doesn't show to the end at all, which I moaned about yesterda).

So, glad that I can cross this one off my list :D

Fixed possible shutdown on powerup with mount related profile changes

I hope that this is finally fixed, I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Interesting change to the geocache list.

243.jpg218.jpg

The amount of details are nice, but they have further truncated the cache name. The screen is big, I think they can afford to reduce the font size to allow more characters.

I have reported the geocache description clutter to Garmin, and they are working on it.

I just noticed that the stars for the ratings in the geocache description, are in a fixed position. So in languages where "difficulty" and "terrain"is longer than the English word (as for instance in my native Dutch), the text and stars overlap :rolleyes:

Also when browsing through the text, I saw that at the end a second instance of the ratings appeared, completely overlapping text (inbetween the description and the logs, when previewing the text).

E-mailed the Montana team already... :)

I must say that the team isn't really used in thinking "multi-lingual" when it comes to geocaching ;) So let's hope this will be a good lesson and they will improve the paperless caching experience (no doubt they will :D )

I was over 3,000 miles away from home on vacation when I installed this update. The last two days were an exercise in patience. The compass was completely useless. It would hardly ever change direction. I could stand (away from metal) supposedly pointing at the cache, then turn around and the compass would never move. I had to use my cell phone's compass several times to find compass headings since the GPS was useless for this. :tired:

The last two days were an exercise in patience. The compass was completely useless. It would hardly ever change direction. I could stand (away from metal) supposedly pointing at the cache, then turn around and the compass would never move. I had to use my cell phone's compass several times to find compass headings since the GPS was useless for this. :tired:

I noticed this as well. I would hear an elk bugle and tried to point in that direction to approximate his location from the map page but the arrow was stuck and would not update or move if I changed directions. From the compass page and sitenGo page the compass worked as it should. It seems to be a map update issue when the compass is used to determine direction. We're 4 months into the Montana series and the software has a long way to go.

The last two days were an exercise in patience. The compass was completely useless. It would hardly ever change direction. I could stand (away from metal) supposedly pointing at the cache, then turn around and the compass would never move. I had to use my cell phone's compass several times to find compass headings since the GPS was useless for this. :tired:

I noticed this as well. I would hear an elk bugle and tried to point in that direction to approximate his location from the map page but the arrow was stuck and would not update or move if I changed directions. From the compass page and sitenGo page the compass worked as it should. It seems to be a map update issue when the compass is used to determine direction. We're 4 months into the Montana series and the software has a long way to go.

Is Garmin aware of this sluggish compass pointer problem?

Mine was acting the same way. :(

I reported the compass issues to them months ago, back around firmware version 2.50. Their response (on July 15, 2011) was:

"I took a Montana out today to OX1AABN just now, configured like your unit, with a recent version of city navigator. The current behavior is disappointing. I had no problems with direct routing, but using the compass with city navigator was unusable. We will correct this."

Looks like it still hasn't been fixed. The behavior is still "disappointing".

I reported the compass issues to them months ago, back around firmware version 2.50. Their response (on July 15, 2011) was:

The issue we're talking about is a different issue altogether. I know which one your referring to because I had experienced it. No, this is a problem that I didn't noticed before 3.5. I've been generally happy with the performance of my Montana over the last month or two but this compass/screen update issue really sticks out due to how I use the GPS this time of year (hunting).

If it's posted on these boards, Garmin probably knows about it. I'm not sure how regularly they check now but it used to be quite frequently after the initial release.

I am glad to see that they added the picture to the black screen with the geotag info when you point to a pic on the map screen. However, Why not make it full screen. It is just a little bigger than a thumbnail and there is a lot of screen on the page that is still black. Why not use up all of the space and perhaps even give us the option of taking the geotag info off if we don't want or need it.

Otherwise very happy with the update and the Montana 650T. I mean other than there not being an option to review the pic after taking it without having to point to the thumbnail. Give us the option to set how long it takes before the screen clears. And one last thing, Why not am option for a beep when we take a picture so that we have a way to know when we take a picture of ourselves.

Night-Ranger, Kernersville, NC