analysing the data - from gps

alligatorsnz

having recently up graded to a garmin map 62s - i am aware it collects alot more information then just the route - like elevation, speed, altitude, time - in fact all the data channels in the trip computer ..

my question : judging by the information avalible in the trip computer during a trip there must be a swag more information that could be anaylised back at home on the computer - currently i am using map source that shows elevation graph, and speed, bearing, height information from every point... ( that's assuming there is more?) - can any one recommend a programme - preferable free ware that can import and present it in GUI?

second - how do you save the contents of the trip computer after you have saved your route - so that it can be viewed later? if at all

thanks will

IMHO GSAK is the best program for analysing Geocaching data. There are many FREE macros that will pull a lot of useful and even more not so useful info. I would wait to "PAY" for GSAK since version 8 is in BETA and all current users will have to repay in order to upgrade.

GSAK is completely useless for analyzing track data, which is what it sounds like you want to do. It's not that the program is bad or anything; it is just not intended for that purpose.

ExpertGPS has some nice track analysis features.

I wrote a free program called AnalyzeTrack that uses the time/position/elevation information to give you statistics about a tracklog.

Delorme TOPO also has some useful track analysis features.

I do not use it, but I would guess Mapsource has at least some primitive functionality as well.

I heartily endorse the GPS Visualizer website. It can do some awesome things.

Take a look at Garmin's own site, under the recreation/sport kit.

Register (free) and keep a record of total distance for trips you've made, altitude gain/loss etc.

BaseCamp will track all the functions that MapSource will, but will also track you heart rate if you have their cardio strap to go with your 62s.

Regarding Garmin Connect: don't put anything up there you don't want to share (like heart rate). Your pages are password protected, but the site doesn't use encryption. (no https).

Thanks for the info Clyde, I thought it was for everyone. Guess I will be paying 20 bucks for my upgrade but it is one of the best 20 buck I ever spent. Well I did have to pay Germany 30 Deutschmarks which was abouit 20 bucks at the time so they would let marry my wife. That 20 bucks was well spent also.