iGeoKnife - GSAK databases on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

We need this for Android-based phones, too! Any news on that front?

iGeoKnife makes it possible to navigate your GSAK database on your iOS device.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/igeoknife/id463856852?mt=8

Very handy to have your database with you on the go.

Best Regards,

/René

There is one for Android. It's called GDAK - look for it in the app store.

Sokratz

Thanks - I found it and started using it. I don't think I'll keep it. I was hoping for something that would allow me to search and filter the databases like GSAK does -- to some extent. I'm sure the very extensive filtering options provided in GSAK would be really hard to include in a program for a handheld.

Went and downloaded this.

I appreciate having an offline GSAK database quickly accessible on the iPad, and I like the way the app displays the cache information (compared to other apps).

But I do miss being able to see the User Data fields, and also the User Flag. I typically use these fields to track caches that are preferred for finding and logging. Now I can sort on a User Data field, but I cannot actually see the field. Not very helpful, as I do not know what is in the user field.

Also, if the app would always synchronize the databases, that would be great. But I guess because the naming of the databases has to be manual, this is not easy to achieve.

Thanks - I found it and started using it. I don't think I'll keep it. I was hoping for something that would allow me to search and filter the databases like GSAK does -- to some extent. I'm sure the very extensive filtering options provided in GSAK would be really hard to include in a program for a handheld.

Actually, the bulk of the filtering in GSAK can be done via queries directly against the database. All you need to know is the names of the columns. With the exception of routes & "caches inside this polygon", I do all my filtering this way. But then I spend a good portion of my workdays in databases, so it comes fairly easily to me.

The user interface for filtering in GSAK wouldn't translate to a mobile device, but it's not exactly a shining example of good interface design on Windows either, in no small part thanks to how it evolved over time - it seems like things just got thrown in as they were thought of or requested.

Actually, the bulk of the filtering in GSAK can be done via queries directly against the database. All you need to know is the names of the columns. With the exception of routes & "caches inside this polygon", I do all my filtering this way. But then I spend a good portion of my workdays in databases, so it comes fairly easily to me.

dakboy,

how would this help with iGeoKnife? Are you proposing that one runs multiple queries beforehand against one's default database. And creates individual databases from those queries so that they can then be viewed one by one in iGK?

So in addition to my usual default database containing all conceivable caches within nnn miles, I would export to iGK a subset of the database that contains any cache that had UserData1 - entries?

Will still need to open each individual cache entry in iGK as the UserData fields are not visible on the cache list page. Worth trying I guess...

dakboy,

how would this help with iGeoKnife? Are you proposing that one runs multiple queries beforehand against one's default database. And creates individual databases from those queries so that they can then be viewed one by one in iGK?

So in addition to my usual default database containing all conceivable caches within nnn miles, I would export to iGK a subset of the database that contains any cache that had UserData1 - entries?

I was addressing the statement that GSAK's filtering wouldn't translate well to a mobile device, not describing existing functionality in iGK. Because GSAK's filters can be (mostly) performed via SQL queries against the database instead of complex application logic, you can replace a significant portion of the filter options in GSAK with an interface that does work well on a mobile device. You wouldn't need to pre-query or create large numbers of databases, assuming that the mobile app can read the database that GSAK itself creates.

..Because GSAK's filters can be (mostly) performed via SQL queries against the database instead of complex application logic, you can replace a significant portion of the filter options in GSAK with an interface that does work well on a mobile device. You wouldn't need to pre-query or create large numbers of databases, assuming that the mobile app can read the database that GSAK itself creates.

Thanks, I agree with your comment.

Just wanted to make double sure that I had not overlooked a feature in iGK that would have resolved my gripes about not being able to sort on user data fields.

I've been using this every weekend and really love how all my cache data is at my fingertips.

I have a feature request, though.

Is there a way to add an option for us to tap on the 'Compass Interference' warning box so that it goes away? Even if it went away just for 60 seconds at a time, that would be great.

My iPad case is magnetized, and iGeoKnife won't remove that warning unless I remove it from the case and do the figure 8 calibration. And then, of course, as soon as it goes back in the case the box appears again.

Also, having that message pop up over the maps makes it difficult to see what is under it.

Since I don't use it for navigation, I don't need the compass. So if I could either permanently or temporarily disable that warning box, that would be great.

don

it is pretty good app .. but is there anyway how to use it with offline maps? forexample if I have google maps downloaded and to use it for it? instead of apple maps? thx :)

Would love to have an answer to this one as well :)

I have to compliment Clyde on his transition to SQLite for GSAK. It was a good choice. It's a fast, lightweight database engine that runs on a bunch of platforms. Making an app for either IOS or Android that could do filtering is much more about building a UI than about database issues.