FTF - Odd question

Fandango739

Short answer. FTF's don't exist. There is nothing to denote a first to find on this site. It is simply the figment of the finders imagination. In this case the person that does not log on line found the cache before the usual FTF hounds and all the usual FTF hounds can do is bay at the moon.

Or, the first person to sign the log and log online can claim FTF anyway, even if there was another name in the log before them. It's just as good, because it doesn't matter either way.

Now that can get downright confusing. The first person to sign the log *might* log online a couple weeks from now. But we have an interloper claiming to be FTF when they aren't. But I agree, it does not matter.

When we place a cache, the CO should just sign the log with a made up name. Date it the day it the cache was placed. Then just play along that someone must have found the cache soon after they placed it. No one would ever get FTF again.

Great idea but I don't think I would want Scubasonic hunting me down :ph34r:

Hmmm...interesting. So logging a find on-line doesn't matter in the end, as long as the logbook is signed.

And FTFs don't really matter, because there is no officail way to keep count.

But so many people make such a big deal out of their FTF counts....

Yet, someone without scrupples could give completely fictional accounts of about their remarkable FTFs.

Hmmm.....

Hmmm...interesting. So logging a find on-line doesn't matter in the end, as long as the logbook is signed.

Yet, someone without scrupples could give completely fictional accounts of about their remarkable FTFs.

Hmmm.....

I think you have it essentially correct. And to make matters even more interesting, the order of the logs on GC.com does not matter at all. Most of my FTF's I was like 3rd or 4th to log online.

Hmmm.....

To elaborate: FTFs only matter to those people who keep track of them, and then only their own FTFs matter. In other words: if you think you were FTF, you say you're FTF, you put it in your FTF stats and whatever. Now someone else may also think they're FTF on the same cache, and does all the same things. Is that a problem? Not at all! You can both claim to be FTF, and it won't have any effect on the FTF claims of the other cacher. Extend this to all other possible scenarios of FTF "conflicts".

I don't know how others play the game in their areas, but it seems that in my area most people have enough integrity to acknowledge that they were second or third to find in their online log so their is no argument about FTF.

I didn't say there was an argument, I just said I'm not always the first to log online. I generally get my FTF's the first thing in the morning of a caching day and don't do my logging until the evening. I don't feel compelled to rush home and log my FTF's.

Edited by jholly

Or, the first person to sign the log and log online can claim FTF anyway, even if there was another name in the log before them. It's just as good, because it doesn't matter either way.

My guess is that most people who claim FTF do it based on there being no other names in the log book. However, there are so many variations, often regional, for determining FTF. In my region, cachers often sign the log book as "beta finders". This often means they were with the cache owner when the cache was hidden, but it sometimes means that that got the coordinates from the cache owner before the cache was published. The idea is that FTF is still up for grabs and the first to find after the beta finders claim FTF. Generally the beta finders don't log online till after someone else does. Sometimes people are going for a milestone and want their logs in order so they post a Find or a Note for their beta find and indicate that FTF is still up for grabs. In other regions this practice might seem odd.

I don't know how others play the game in their areas, but it seems that in my area most people have enough integrity to acknowledge that they were second or third to find in their online log so their is no argument about FTF.

Same here. If I seek a FTF and see a name and date before mine, I'll log myself as second to find or third, etc. I think most cachers do the same and, as noted, sometimes the FTF doesn't log for awhile later. That shouldn't prevent the rest of us from being honest with our log entries.