New Geocache Logbook feature

Kit Fox

Guess they did this to save on bandwidth. But yes, you have to have javascript on in order to see them.

*** Weird, I just tried and I can get the last 5 logs, but nothing more. And noscript is turned off.

I can still see all logs (after a bunch of scrolling, of course). Windows 7 SP1, Firefox 6.0.2, no noscript, no Greasemonkey.

--Larry

Guess they did this to save on bandwidth. But yes, you have to have javascript on in order to see them.

I hope that they didn't do it to save bandwidth. The amount of data that is downloaded if you want to see all of the logs is the same, but it would require many more http requests to retrieve all of the data. I haven't looked at the code but I assume that it's using some sort of AJAX functionality. For those not familiar with AJAX, if you've used Google to search for something and noticed that as you type in a term it returns suggestions, that's AJAX. Every time you type a character it sends the string you've typed back to the server (from your browser) to retrieve more suggestions. Similarly as you scroll the logs on the gc site it's sending a request back to server to retrieve more logs. Each one of those requests uses bandwidth and each request/response contains header information that is essentially duplicated for every request/response. It *can* produce a really nice user experience but I've also seen it used on sites that have rendered them effectively unusable.

The sooner they lose that "cute" little trick, the happier I will be! It has already been a stumbling block for me twice today, when I wanted to find if somebody logged a cache so I'd know how to answer an email. One of them was for the oldest cache in Minnesota, with 329 visits. The other was just an "ordinary" cache, but since I didn't know when or if the person had found it, I had to let the full list load before my search would work.

Bad idea, Groundspeak.

This has been a problem for me since the last big update. Doesn't matter what I use, IE/FF/Chrome, none of them show logs or caches on the beta map. I've deleted/reinstalled/logged out-in/redownloaded Java. Makes no difference. I think it has something to do with the server, as this is on my work pc.

This has nothing to do with Java. All you need is JavaScript, which is (unlike the name suggests) totally unrelated to Java.

Maybe it's a company policy at your place, to just remove/disallow all things JavaScript.

Works fine on this computer with FF6.

The other computer with FF3 and noscript turned off shows first 5 logs and doesn't have the spinning circle. Turn noscript on and I see no logs but do see the spinning circle.

If you are not logged on, you only get five logs.

By golly you are right. I wasn't logged in. :ph34r:

I hope that they didn't do it to save bandwidth.

Apparently it was to save bandwidth, after all. By now I would imagine most of you have seen the status on the request that was posted a few minutes ago:

We unfortunately have to decline this request. We removed the "show all logs" feature because of its impact on the servers; the paging model is a much better way of giving people access to all of the logs while minimizing the database load. This is an issue regardless of whether or not avatars appear.

I have entered a story to allow for searching through logs on a cache, although such a function would also put a large hit on the server and I fear will also be rejected for the same reasons. (31168)

:(

I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to be done. The current solution is certainly not acceptable for me, at any rate.

I think at the very least, the addition of an actual "load more logs" link/button at the bottom of the cache page, instead of relying solely on the window scroll to activate the load, might alleviate some frustrations. But it doesn't solve the no-scripting-enabled issue.

I suppose they could revert to their old, clunky, forms-based list pagination still in use on other search pages :unsure:

Apparently it was to save bandwidth, after all. By now I would imagine most of you have seen the status on the request that was posted a few minutes ago:

We unfortunately have to decline this request. We removed the "show all logs" feature because of its impact on the servers; the paging model is a much better way of giving people access to all of the logs while minimizing the database load. This is an issue regardless of whether or not avatars appear.

I have entered a story to allow for searching through logs on a cache, although such a function would also put a large hit on the server and I fear will also be rejected for the same reasons. (31168)

I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to be done. The current solution is certainly not acceptable for me, at any rate.

They need to either add a "Search all logs" feature or allow us to adjust our "Friend" list on the fly.

Edited by Don_J

They need to either add a "Search all logs" feature or allow us to adjust our "Friend" list on the fly.

One can hope. I submitted a feedback request for such an idea. I was taken to task for being a stalker by one comment and one said just scroll to the bottom. Well, I for one, miss the VIP list and wish I could adjust the "friends" list on the fly and not need to resort to scrolling to the bottom and then using the browser search. All I'm asking for is to let the computer do what I can do manually.

One can hope. I submitted a feedback request for such an idea. I was taken to task for being a stalker by one comment and one said just scroll to the bottom. Well, I for one, miss the VIP list and wish I could adjust the "friends" list on the fly and not need to resort to scrolling to the bottom and then using the browser search. All I'm asking for is to let the computer do what I can do manually.

We definitely need some more exposure to that feedback request!

And anybody that thinks that searching geocache logs is "stalking" needs to research the term. That is the kinder, gentler forum version of my opinion of that sort of accusation.