Garmin eTrex 20 Release pushed back

jjome

I played with the eTrex 20 today at REI and I have to admit that having the joystick on the opposite side from my Venture HC felt really odd.

I'm right handed but I've gotten very used to using my GPS with my left hand. This way my thumb doesn't cover the screen while toggling the joystick.

With the new eTrex 20, my thumb blocked the screen while trying to use the joystick with my left hand. So I switched to my right hand but it felt awkward and my thumb still blocks part of the screen.

I was excited about these new units at 1st but now not so sure. I'll play with one for a little longer before buying it. I might be able to get used to using the eTrex with my right hand but I'm not sure.

I played with the eTrex 20 today at REI and I have to admit that having the joystick on the opposite side from my Venture HC felt really odd.

I'm right handed but I've gotten very used to using my GPS with my left hand. This way my thumb doesn't cover the screen while toggling the joystick.

With the new eTrex 20, my thumb blocked the screen while trying to use the joystick with my left hand. So I switched to my right hand but it felt awkward and my thumb still blocks part of the screen.

I was excited about these new units at 1st but now not so sure. I'll play with one for a little longer before buying it. I might be able to get used to using the eTrex with my right hand but I'm not sure.

I had the same misgivings as I have a Vista HCx and have swapped it for a 30. Took about a day of fiddling - as you do when you have a new toy - and it feels familiar now.

My $0.02

-Gary

I've had the etrex 30 for a day or 2 now and compared to my Legend HCx its not a £200 step up. I might feel differently if I can get some true 1:25k OS maps on there but I've not had much of a chance to play with it. At first glance the +- accuracy figure it reports always seems to be about 10 feet more than my Legend. This is with both GLONASS and EGNOS whereas my Legend was just GPS with EGNOS. Not impressed.

Be aware that if I decided to ebay this 30 I'll come back and change this post so it sings the praises and massively hypes all the features and capabilities etc ;).

Oh, maximum 50 way points for on road navigation just like my Legend HCx. So much for an upgrade, more a step sideways.

Edited by JfLDave