Rain / Thunderstorm only cache

mucek4

Hello,

about 2 weeks ago I was going to FTF hunt. And it was raining. When I was walking back to my car wet to bones I come across an idea of Rain only cache. A night thunderstorm cache can be a great idea too.

I am only asking if someone has already seen or found or made a cache like this to get an extra info or am I inventing a new "type"?

Thanks

If you are talking about a cache where finders would not be allowed to claim a find unless they did it in the rain, then no, that would be an ALR and no allowed. Now if you are talking about coming up with a way hide a cache that is only findable when it's raining then that should be OK and would be challenging. Maybe figure a way to harness rain water running through a culvert or a downspout bring a container that's normally out of sight into view. Or perhaps a small paddle wheel or turbine generator in a drain pipe that powers a chirp. No rain water running through the pipe, no signal from the chirp.

I know about ALRs so let's avoid them. A cache (tubrine is a nice idea) that can only be found while raining. So when raining it can be found, when sunny it os not possible to find a cache and even not possible to log it. That is not ALR. When log is signed you can claim online log. If you can't sign log you can log inline only with owner's permission.

So please, if anyone has seen or have an idea for a cache like this... Write!

You can't say you must find it only in rain. However I would like to made a cache that can only be found during rain. So made some kind of "barrier" that can be "removed" only in rain.

Well, that would be some sort of rain gauge, which the average cacher could circumvent with a 2 liter bottle of water.

Back to the OP. A thunderstorm only cache would have to be designed to where it only opens when the ambient air pressure drops below thunderstorm levels. Have fun.

If you are talking about a cache where finders would not be allowed to claim a find unless they did it in the rain, then no, that would be an ALR and no allowed. Now if you are talking about coming up with a way hide a cache that is only findable when it's raining then that should be OK and would be challenging. Maybe figure a way to harness rain water running through a culvert or a downspout bring a container that's normally out of sight into view. Or perhaps a small paddle wheel or turbine generator in a drain pipe that powers a chirp. No rain water running through the pipe, no signal from the chirp.

That sounds cool. Cachers on fire engines have the advantage.

I know about ALRs so let's avoid them. A cache (tubrine is a nice idea) that can only be found while raining. So when raining it can be found, when sunny it os not possible to find a cache and even not possible to log it. That is not ALR. When log is signed you can claim online log. If you can't sign log you can log inline only with owner's permission.

So please, if anyone has seen or have an idea for a cache like this... Write!

I totally agree with this. Making the log available when only certain conditions are met has nothing to do with Additional Logging Requirements. Hopefully, that won't dominate the discussion.

As far as only available during thunderstorms. Does your area have enough thunderstorms to make this something that people would watch? My area has had two thunderstorms in the last two weeks. The last one before that was three years ago. Such a cache wouldn't do so well around here.

The way I see it, there are two different discussions here. Should you do it, and how would you do it.

Well. I live in europe. There are some thunderstorms during summer and none during winter.

Let's say there would be about 10 chances per year to find this cache in average. It would most probably be D5 Tx. And a night cache. The idea is to make a small microprocessor circuit that monitors "light". Lightning is a very strong but short light easy to detect. A camera flash is too short for those who would like to cheat ;)

Here's an idea you can perhaps develop.

The CO used WD-40 (a water-repellent lubricant spray) to write the co-ordinates of the second (final) stage on a large expanse of concrete (like 10' x 15'). When it rained, the water beaded-up on the 'treated' areas, revealing the numbers.

When first applied, the spray was invisible, but over time you could begin to see where it had been applied on a regular sunny day.

I once had one where I "painted" the coordinates to the second and final stage with Thompson's water seal on a sidewalk. Problem was, sidewalks are porous so it was great when it started to rain but gradually diappeared as the rain continued and water got around and under the painted portions. A different surface would work better.

I once had one where I "painted" the coordinates to the second and final stage with Thompson's water seal on a sidewalk. Problem was, sidewalks are porous so it was great when it started to rain but gradually diappeared as the rain continued and water got around and under the painted portions. A different surface would work better.

Perhaps use some kind of Arduino circuit and use one of those irrigation rain sensors tied into the circuit.

Perhaps use some kind of Arduino circuit and use one of those irrigation rain sensors tied into the circuit.

For those (like me) who had no idea what bflentje just said, Arduino is an open-source microcontroller. Here is a Wikipedia page on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

Looks like rain sensors can be had very inexpensivly, also ($15-$20?) but how do you prevent people from sprinkling water (or, ahem! other liquids) on the sensor?

Here's an idea you can perhaps develop.

The CO used WD-40 (a water-repellent lubricant spray) to write the co-ordinates of the second (final) stage on a large expanse of concrete (like 10' x 15'). When it rained, the water beaded-up on the 'treated' areas, revealing the numbers.

When first applied, the spray was invisible, but over time you could begin to see where it had been applied on a regular sunny day.

That would be a good idea!

but over time you could begin to see where it had been applied on a regular sunny day.

... but it wasn't.

Water Activated Flashing Marker Lights, used by divers. Interesting idea, similar in a way to firetacks. But is rain enough to trigger them?

Great safety item for night diving the colored blinking lights will help indentify night divers. No need to turn it on when you jump in the water the wet switch automatically turns lights on when submerged. Batteries average burn time 200 hours. So let's go night diving!

For those (like me) who had no idea what bflentje just said, Arduino is an open-source microcontroller. Here is a Wikipedia page on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

Looks like rain sensors can be had very inexpensivly, also ($15-$20?) but how do you prevent people from sprinkling water (or, ahem! other liquids) on the sensor?

My irrigation system as a rain sensor mounted on the garage roof. perhaps mount it up in a tree, probably using all kinds of nails and screws and other things that will poison the tree :ph34r: .

I suppose you could mount the sensor in a spot that is not easily accessible. I suppose someone could still come up with a creative way to get the sensor wet such as tossing a water balloon or using a "super soaker" (which gives me a couple of ideas for a cache that would use the Arduino device) but as long as cachers can avoid the temptation to render the sensing device by dismantling something which holds it in the air it might be doable.

In fact, I found something manufactured just for Arduinos:

HS1101 Humirel Humidity Sensor Arduino Hygrometer

Well. I live in europe. There are some thunderstorms during summer and none during winter.

Let's say there would be about 10 chances per year to find this cache in average. It would most probably be D5 Tx. And a night cache.

I am wondering whether in your region thunderstorms in the night are common. In my region (nor that far from yours, but thunderstorms are a rather regional weather phenomenon) there are much more than 10 thunderstorms per year, and occasionally also some in what is officially Winter or early Spring, but not many during the night.

Moreover, I am wondering whether it might not be quite dangerous to have cachers visit a forest area during a thunderstorm and have their concentration be distracted from the weather to searching for a cache (a status where many cachers forget everything around them).

Cezanne

I suppose you could mount the sensor in a spot that is not easily accessible. I suppose someone could still come up with a creative way to get the sensor wet such as tossing a water balloon or using a "super soaker" (which gives me a couple of ideas for a cache that would use the Arduino device) but as long as cachers can avoid the temptation to render the sensing device by dismantling something which holds it in the air it might be doable.

Perhaps the moisture sensor used in conjunction with the vibration sensor you could minimize cheating. But at the end of the day, we all agree, use of any legal and non-destructive means necessary to find a cache is ok. Some of us agree on that principle anyway.

Moreover, I am wondering whether it might not be quite dangerous to have cachers visit a forest area during a thunderstorm and have their concentration be distracted from the weather to searching for a cache (a status where many cachers forget everything around them).

Cezanne

Sorry, that gets a HUGE :rolleyes:

Cezanne

Sorry, that gets a HUGE :rolleyes:

Why? I would not object against such a cache if someone came up with one, but certainly would not for it.

In my area thunderstorms can be extremely heavy with many lightnings and each year people get killed or seriously injured due to incidents with lightnings.

Cezanne

Water Activated Flashing Marker Lights, used by divers. Interesting idea, similar in a way to firetacks. But is rain enough to trigger them?

Great safety item for night diving the colored blinking lights will help indentify night divers. No need to turn it on when you jump in the water the wet switch automatically turns lights on when submerged. Batteries average burn time 200 hours. So let's go night diving!

What would be funny (NOT!) would be to use these just as you would use Firetacks to create a trail to the final. Except that with a night cache, you are pretty certain how many hours of dark you would have. With water activated flashing lights, you would only have as long as the rain lasted. Sadistic!! :lol:

It would if placed in such a way that some water is allowed to accumulate on top of it, where the wet switch is. Also quite easy to make yourself, two blank wires and a transistor is all that's needed (plus whatever you want to turn on/off that way). Battery life and corrosion are probably gonna be the biggest enemies in such a setup...

I've heard of night caches where an electronic device with a timer provides the coordinates for the final stage only at night. Perhaps a similar device could use a barometric pressure gauge instead of a timer.

That would be good, and there are some gizmos that receive radio signals, to display weather conditions, no barometer needed (maybe that could be patched into?). One problem using water sensors around here is occasional freezing.

Edited by kunarion

Holly s*! I was away for 1 afternoon and you had alot of suggestions. An electronics and microcontrollers are my hobby so no problem in that. However they need battery to operate. That is a lot of maintenance.

My idea was something like this:

Get a tall building (10-15m) and with owners permission mount a box on a builgind like this. Then modify drain pipe that goes from roof to the ground and get a water out of there. So large surface enough water even in small rain, almost imposible to fake with water baloons, waterguns, ... a detection can be simple floating device that moves away something that hides next set of coordinates, a tipping bucket and a uCPU, power turbine to power some LEDs, ....

A night cache with rain-enabled lights is a good idea too :)

Holly s*! I was away for 1 afternoon and you had alot of suggestions. An electronics and microcontrollers are my hobby so no problem in that. However they need battery to operate. That is a lot of maintenance.

My idea was something like this:

Get a tall building (10-15m) and with owners permission mount a box on a builgind like this. Then modify drain pipe that goes from roof to the ground and get a water out of there. So large surface enough water even in small rain, almost imposible to fake with water baloons, waterguns, ... a detection can be simple floating device that moves away something that hides next set of coordinates, a tipping bucket and a uCPU, power turbine to power some LEDs, ....

A night cache with rain-enabled lights is a good idea too :)

Let us know what you come up with, although I still like the idea of a cache that would require the use of water balloons or a super soaker to retrieve the cache.

What distinguishes thunderstorms from other weather phenomenon, in my eyes, is the lightning. I gotta tell you, I am a huge fan of lightning, and I love nothing more than watching it pop along the edge of a storm, so my opinions are probably biased. Lightning has a very distinct emissions signature that can be detected by fairly inexpensive devices.

With your background in electronics, perhaps you could rig a solar panel to a rechargeable battery, with the feed going to a lightning detector, mounted in line with a timer, followed by a stout metal box with an electromagnetic lock? Once the required conditions are met, (lightning strike within X miles, between a set time frame), the box would unlock, making the cache inside it accessible?

I'm not an electronics kind of guy, so there may be "Fail" written all over this, but it was the best I could think of.

What distinguishes thunderstorms from other weather phenomenon, in my eyes, is the lightning. I gotta tell you, I am a huge fan of lightning, and I love nothing more than watching it pop along the edge of a storm, so my opinions are probably biased. Lightning has a very distinct emissions signature that can be detected by fairly inexpensive devices.

With your background in electronics, perhaps you could rig a solar panel to a rechargeable battery, with the feed going to a lightning detector, mounted in line with a timer, followed by a stout metal box with an electromagnetic lock? Once the required conditions are met, (lightning strike within X miles, between a set time frame), the box would unlock, making the cache inside it accessible?

I'm not an electronics kind of guy, so there may be "Fail" written all over this, ...

That would obviously fail. You didn't even mention using a kite and a key.

If it were here, it would hardly ever get found if it were thunderstorm only as we rarely get them. Rain, however? Well, I do live in the Pacific North Wet....

Ditto to North Wet Calif.

Rains until the cows come home. The lightning and thunder things are rather uncommon.

?? With lightning, is there not the possibility of an electrifying experience??

Don't mind me; I am reading an account of deaths of hikers on top of Half Dome from lightning when the cells were a number of miles away.

One thing to consider is that it would probably be a good idea if the CO can get into the cache to perform maintenance regardless of the weather. Another thing that might cause some worry is what the authorities will do if it gets reported as a suspicious object, and it's not raining when they check it out so they can't get in to it. Caches do have a long history of getting blown up by bomb squads, and I think if a cache has any visible electronic components (including electrical wires) that might make it look more suspicious, unless clearly labeled. (I personally would probably put the GC code on the container, in addition to the word Geocache, so they can easily look it up if they try.)