Getting new gps. What one should i get?

wyattsjigs

If you want a Garmin with a camera, then it appears that you will be limited to the GPSMAP 62, the Oregon 550, or the Montana 650.

The suggested price for the Montana 650 considerably exceeds $500, but the typical street price seems to be around $500. It has a big (4") screen, but it also is a relatively heavy unit.

I have an Oregon 550 and like it. My biggest complaint is that it isn't very accurate when it tracks distances you've walked on a hike.

I know someone who owns a GPSMAP 62. He complains about the many buttons you must push to navigate through the various pages, so he fears the buttons might wear out sooner rather than later.

I am planning on getting a new GPS i am wondering if i should get the Garmin 62sc, 60csx, or Lakota 20. It can't be over 500$ and must be able to be able to download geocaching files. I would like a camera in it, and must be Garmin. Any suggestions?

It sounds like the 62sc would be your only option as the 60csx does not have a camera. You also can't download GPX files to the 60CSX in the same manner as the 62sc. The 60CSX is not paperless, while the 62sc allows you to download all of the cache details directly.

I am planning on getting a new GPS i am wondering if i should get the Garmin 62sc, 60csx, or Lakota 20. It can't be over 500$ and must be able to be able to download geocaching files. I would like a camera in it, and must be Garmin. Any suggestions?

Oregon 550 has a camera

however if you suffer from Arthritis Pain, Back Pain, Joint Pain & Muscle Pain you should definitely get the Lakota :anibad:

Why must it be a Garmin?

Because Magellan doesn't have its own geocaching site? :laughing:

That's the only thing I can think of is QR codes. Have you seen the new update on Magellan's VantagePoint? They are partners here, and you can link dirctly to this site and download your PQ's flawlessly! I'm thrilled with my Triton 500 after the new updates. I have also been looking for a new unit. I am a Garmin fan, but their paperless units are pricey.

Oregon 550 has a camera

however if you suffer from Arthritis Pain, Back Pain, Joint Pain & Muscle Pain you should definitely get the Lakota :anibad:

Darn! You beat me to that punchline, lol!

62s or 62st are currently Garmin's top of the line and can both be had for within your price limit. GPS City currently has the 62st for around $480 and you can save a little more by using the free topos like are available at GPSFILEDEPOT.com (some say are better any way) and get the 62 s for $80 to $100 more.

Otherwise the Oregon's, a solid second choice, have been going on and off sale the last month. Some for as low as $199.

Edited by baloo&bd

If you want a Garmin with a camera, then it appears that you will be limited to the GPSMAP 62, the Oregon 550, or the Montana 650.

The suggested price for the Montana 650 considerably exceeds $500, but the typical street price seems to be around $500. It has a big (4") screen, but it also is a relatively heavy unit.

I have an Oregon 550 and like it. My biggest complaint is that it isn't very accurate when it tracks distances you've walked on a hike.

I know someone who owns a GPSMAP 62. He complains about the many buttons you must push to navigate through the various pages, so he fears the buttons might wear out sooner rather than later.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Why must it be a Garmin?

I have herd that the Garmins are the best. What kind of gps do you have?

Why must it be a Garmin?

Garmin Venture Hc and a Magellan Triton 500 for paperless caching, and the VantangePoint map links directly to my PQ's on this site. I need GSAK to download a PQ to my Garmin units. The new Garmins just are too far out of my price range, and also they seem to have some issues with the QR code readers working correctly with the "Verifyed Finds" on their geocaching site, according to what I have read in their geocaching forums. After the last software udgrade, and Magellan being partners with this site I really like the Triton for geocaching and hiking because I have the "super quad" maps for my area, and they show great deatil. Best part is they all came in a bundle pack for around $150. If Garmin makes a compareable unit and maps that is competively priced, I'll buy it.

Why must it be a Garmin?

Garmin Venture Hc and a Magellan Triton 500 for paperless caching, and the VantangePoint map links directly to my PQ's on this site. I need GSAK to download a PQ to my Garmin units. The new Garmins just are too far out of my price range, and also they seem to have some issues with the QR code readers working correctly with the "Verifyed Finds" on their geocaching site, according to what I have read in their geocaching forums. After the last software udgrade, and Magellan being partners with this site I really like the Triton for geocaching and hiking because I have the "super quad" maps for my area, and they show great deatil. Best part is they all came in a bundle pack for around $150. If Garmin makes a compareable unit and maps that is competively priced, I'll buy it.

I have a Magellan GC GPS right now it is ok but there a couple of problems and i would not buy another one again. So i think i will get a Magellan again.

Why must it be a Garmin?

I have a Magellan GC GPS right now it is ok but there a couple of problems and i would not buy another one again. So i think i will get a Magellan again.

My Megellan was junk before I installed the last software update. What kind of problems does your unit have? Mine is a refurbushed replacement for a Triton 400 that was junk straight out of the box. I can't complain about their customer service.

Why must it be a Garmin?

My Megellan was junk before I installed the last software update. What kind of problems does your unit have? Mine is a refurbushed replacement for a Triton 400 that was junk straight out of the box. I can't complain about their customer service.

My unit just when i get out of the car to get a geocache it bounces around from screen to screen. How do you do an update on the unit?

Why must it be a Garmin?

Two words: FREE MAPS. And, plenty of store bought / subscription service stuff too.

Just saying.

What kind of free maps? My Magellan came with VantagePoint and Nat Geo Topo with 25 super quads. Pretty cool stuff for less than $150 and going paperless. Also download my PQ's through VantagePoint and don't need a third party like GSAK to un-zip GPX files.

Why must it be a Garmin?

Two words: FREE MAPS. And, plenty of store bought / subscription service stuff too.

Just saying.

What kind of free maps? My Magellan came with VantagePoint and Nat Geo Topo with 25 super quads. Pretty cool stuff for less than $150 and going paperless. Also download my PQ's through VantagePoint and don't need a third party like GSAK to un-zip GPX files.

pretty much every map imaginable

who said you MUST use GSAK?...there is no need for any 3rd party program to load a PQ on it, i personally never used one and GSAK is quite a PITA to learn

... and don't need a third party like GSAK to un-zip GPX files.

No one needs a third party to unzip GPX files, than is unless they don't know how. ;)

I don't know how. I use VantagePoint for my Magellan now that their system is partners with Groundspeak. I've been a PM here for a few years, but have just now started using the PQ feature. I have EasyGPS program installed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

No one needs a third party to unzip GPX files, than is unless they don't know how. ;)

I don't know how. I use VantagePoint for my Magellan now that their system is partners with Groundspeak. I've been a PM here for a few years, but have just now started using the PQ feature. I have EasyGPS program installed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Serisouly? :unsure: Ever tried right-clicking on those ZIP files, or double-clicking for that matter? :huh:

screenshot102611135948.png

Serisouly? :unsure: Ever tried right-clicking on those ZIP files, or double-clicking for that matter? :huh:

screenshot102611135948.png

Before I installed EasyGPS I was unable to unzip the files from my email to open them? I'm sure it's user error and nothing not spelled out somewhere.

Before I installed EasyGPS I was unable to unzip the files from my email to open them? I'm sure it's user error and nothing not spelled out somewhere.

[Ack--no need to quote so many layers of previous postings, please!]

So you never received any zipped files before you got into geocaching? Or you did receive some but never knew how to open them?

I was at a friend's house over the weekend, and when I downloaded a .zip file of survey mark data to his Windows system, I tried double-clicking on it just as I do with my Mac. It actually took one more step--we had to click on a button called "Extract"--but it was almost as easy as I'm accustomed to. I think double-clicking launched a program called WinZip. I'm pretty sure that was standard software on my friend's computer, so you probably have it, too. Try double-clicking on the .zip file and see what happens.

Edited by Wintertime