Not filling a new cache with swag?

SeekerOfTheWay

I recently placed a new cache. It took me almost a month to get permission and permit. It's a clear lock and lock on a state park beach. Beautiful location. T5 cache, boat needed, the way it's intended.

Anyway, I have 10 other caches, regular sized mostly ammo cans and peanut butter jars in parks. I have filled those with swag that I got from the dollar store in addition to some trinkets I had that I thought adults would like.

As usual, the swag degraded and I clean those cahes out. I haven't taken or traded or left swag in over a year. I really don't like the swag part of the game. It gets to be trash and sometimes dirty.

Back to my newest cache: I didn't leave a FTF prize nor did I put any swag in it. Just a clean log.

So far 3 people found this cache. One of them mentioned that it was a new cache, and that there was no swag in it. I'm assuming they were disappointed. I left a note on the cache page explaining that I don't play the swag game, and that the prize is in the journey and the destination. I stated that hunters were welcome to leave and trade their own swag, as I know some like that.

Is it considered rude to not fill a new, regular sized cache with swag? I want a good caching reputation locally. I'm not sure how big a deal swag is as a CO. The log kind of made me sad.

Opinions?

I don't think it is rude. But I am not fan of swag either so I don't put it in any of the caches I create. Never had anyone complain.

On TB/GC hotels I create a specifically state for the finders not to leave any swag. If I find swag in my TB/GC hotels when I do my checks I take it out.

Edited by GermanyBert

No swag is needed and its not a requirement for placing a cache.

But i do like to go for larger caches. I do expect to see some swag in the cache and its interesting to see what ends up in them. I will admit i've been disappointed when it has very little swag or none at all. But that doesn't prevent me from going after other caches by that CO. I'm in it for the hunt and discovering new locations i may not have found otherwise. If anyone gets so upset about it that they block all your caches thats there problem.

Is it considered rude to not fill a new, regular sized cache with swag? I want a good caching reputation locally. I'm not sure how big a deal swag is as a CO. The log kind of made me sad.

Opinions?

I don't know about rude, but I've done it. Mainly on caches a couple of my cahces thatI know won't see much traffic (longer hikes in the woods, tough puzzles, etc). I am not going to waste my money on cahces that just won't see large numbers of people.

On TB/GC hotels I create a specifically state for the finders not to leave any swag. If I find swag in my TB/GC hotels when I do my checks I take it out.

I don't think I've ever found a TB hotel that wasn't full of non-trackable swag. Actually it's rare for me to find a TB hotel with trackables in it. It does go to show that lots of geocachers love swag.

I sure don't consider it rude not to include swag in a new cache. Swag is optional and as you noted, it usually goes down in quality rather quickly, especially in caches with easy access.

Don't let anyone's log about swag get you down. We have a couple of finders locally in our area that always complain if they don't like the swag in the caches they visit. I feel sorry for any cache owners who get logs like that from them. They've been playing this game long enough to know how it normally goes with swag but they continue to complain. All I see is they have a giant sense of entitlement whenever they moan that the swag was not good enough for them. I once saw a log from them stating they took a 7 LED flashlight from the cache and left a ceramic cup. The next finder posted that the cup they left was broken. <_<

Ha, yeah. Every cache that I filled with swag degraded. There were a few good items but mostly crap.

Do you CO always leave a FTF prize? I thought about that too, and I like getting a FTF once in a while but I don't take the FTF unless it's money.

I was concerned paper bill would get wet as I am not sure how much this beach floods, and a coin would get rusty.

So I didn't leave a FTF either.

I left a FTF prize once. A nice Mini-MAG light but have never found a FTF prize in any that I have found found first.

I am thinking about printing out a little FTF Certificate that the FTFer can frame.

Found a cache a few weeks about and after almost ten finds the FTF prize of an old clock was still in it!

Edited by GermanyBert

I like the full experience of caching and that includes finding a box with swag.

A clean swag-less box with lots of room for trackables and swag is better than a swag-size cache with lots of dirt, mold and rusted, muddy swag with a tattered old logbook. It's all about maintenance.

Putting a CO note in the first log that the cache isn't stocked, might be a good idea. Some FTFers worry that they'll be accused of taking all the swag if the next person finds nothing in the cache.

I wouldn't say it's rude, but I think most geocachers expect it, whether or not they trade. And I think most families with kids look forward to it.

It is sad how the contents degrade. I know every participant in the forums trades evenly or up, but somebody out there is taking nice stuff and leaving all the junk.

I have always left swag. I have noticed that there are more and more people who are not leaving swag. To be honest I understand why. Why place a dozen nice pieces of swag when you know the twelfth finder will have trash to choose from?

Now, FTF prizes? No way. I am not giving the same three people a gift every time they find one of my caches. Hell, they should give me a gift for giving them another blank log to sign. :laughing: Seriously though, spend the ftf money on your next cache hide.

When I first started I was excited about swag and had a nice collection of things I had collected for stocking up my cache hides I was happy to start placing after I found a 100 or so. Man, did I get disappointed fast. My last dozen hides or so are nice lock -n lock containers with room for a couple decent size TB's and a pen and log book ONLY - no swag. I think swag should be eliminated from the game. That is just my opinion and I DO cache with my kids! Age 4 through 19! The junk turned them off too.

BUT - I did find a new placement in a local park recently and it had to have at least $50 worth of swag in it. It was a nice sight to see and it would be so cool if it could stay that was, but we all know what is going to happen to it. The CO is a great guy and really takes care of his caches, and even with him restocking from time to time like he does - it will not last!

I used to paint a real cool camo paint job on my containers. Now it is a clear waterproof container with a nice GEOCACHING.COM tag I have made glued on the inside so it is clear what the thing is. Then I hide it so it is not seen and hope others do the same. No baggie for the log book (if you need a baggie for that, the container is not good) and a pen with room for trackables is just about fine for what we would like to find these days!

I have always left swag. I have noticed that there are more and more people who are not leaving swag. To be honest I understand why. Why place a dozen nice pieces of swag when you know the twelfth finder will have trash to choose from?

Now, FTF prizes? No way. I am not giving the same three people a gift every time they find one of my caches. Hell, they should give me a gift for giving them another blank log to sign. :laughing: Seriously though, spend the ftf money on your next cache hide.

You have some quality caches GOF - right after this I am off to 18 mile creek! Stay tuned for some logs and pictures buddy!

So far 3 people found this cache. One of them mentioned that it was a new cache, and that there was no swag in it. I'm assuming they were disappointed. I left a note on the cache page explaining that I don't play the swag game, and that the prize is in the journey and the destination. I stated that hunters were welcome to leave and trade their own swag, as I know some like that.

I noticed that log and your Note on the cache page when checking it out for the other thread.

I'm with you on this, I don't bother stocking my caches with swag anymore either. I figured if I am giving people a watertight container, a logbook and some location of interest then they don't need any swag to have a good experience. If that isn't enough for them they can always hunt someone else's caches.

When most people see a regular size cache they expect swag. Unless your using a rather large log book you may want to consider a smaller container. No point in using a lock-n-lock sandwich container or ammo can to hold a small flip logbook. Though it is nice to have extra room to collect sig items that people might leave. I like to collect the sig items.

When most people see a regular size cache they expect swag. Unless your using a rather large log book you may want to consider a smaller container. No point in using a lock-n-lock sandwich container or ammo can to hold a small flip logbook. Though it is nice to have extra room to collect sig items that people might leave. I like to collect the sig items.

Sure there is sense in a larger container with no swag. Moving trackables is one. Not causing excessive wear on the area caused by folks searching for an unnecessarily difficult hide is another. Hide an appropriately sized cache for the location regardless of what you plan to put in the darn thing.

Putting a CO note in the first log that the cache isn't stocked, might be a good idea. Some FTFers worry that they'll be accused of taking all the swag if the next person finds nothing in the cache.

Vanishing stuff is one of the first signs that non-cachers have found your container. If I arrive at a cache and it's empty, I'll mention it. I'm mostly relaying some possibly useful info, for you and for the next family that arrives, and I'm only slightly suggesting that you're cheap. :P

By the way, people could still leave whatever they planned to trade. I sometimes will, depending on the cache. But empty is fine, too, except for a log book.

Can't you at least paint an "X" on a bunch of nice river rocks or shells or something? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Edited by kunarion

Sure there is sense in a larger container with no swag. Moving trackables is one. Not causing excessive wear on the area caused by folks searching for an unnecessarily difficult hide is another. Hide an appropriately sized cache for the location regardless of what you plan to put in the darn thing.

I think the 2 threads that concern this cache should be merged. It would help to keep the topic in perspective. That aside if the cache stays a T5 and was only accessible by boat or swimming then it would not be a very good cache to leave a trackable in. Considering how infrequently the cache will be visited due to it terrain rating. I'm not saying place a micro in a large forest and make the hide excessively difficult. Just looking to keep things in perspective. Though that may make an interesting hide. A Large container that has a micro in it that contains the log.

The discussions are different topics. There is NO WAY I'm making this cache a micro. That wasn't my question, or even a thought I had. I hate micros, especially in a nice location that can support a regular sized cache.

The question was, is it ok to leave a regular sized cache with no starter swag. That's all. T rating has not do do with that, as I would had left no swag on a T 1.5 too.

Boat caches here in SW FL get visited as much, or more, than hiking caches. :)

Just wanted to know if it was bad form.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I always find it interesting how the conversation evolves and changes. Often threads go off topic a bit and eventually come back around to the original question. Its just the natural flow of a good discussion.

From what i can see the general convinces is to leave the cache empty. No need to have swag. It may be disappointing for those of us who look forward to finding some swag but thats just the way the game is. While i look forward to finding swag i rarely trade any unless there is a neat sig item in there. But i will often leave a little something behind. I think it would be fun to see what kinds of things start to show up in the cache over time.

The discussions are different topics. There is NO WAY I'm making this cache a micro. That wasn't my question, or even a thought I had. I hate micros, especially in a nice location that can support a regular sized cache.

The question was, is it ok to leave a regular sized cache with no starter swag. That's all. T rating has not do do with that, as I would had left no swag on a T 1.5 too.

I think it is OK. I was just saying that the container should be appropriate for the location.I wouldn't hide a micro deep in the woods and I wouldn't hide an ammo can under a park bench. Contents are a secondary, or less, consideration.

I always find it interesting how the conversation evolves and changes. Often threads go off topic a bit and eventually come back around to the original question. Its just the natural flow of a good discussion.

From what i can see the general convinces is to leave the cache empty. No need to have swag. It may be disappointing for those of us who look forward to finding some swag but thats just the way the game is. While i look forward to finding swag i rarely trade any unless there is a neat sig item in there. But i will often leave a little something behind. I think it would be fun to see what kinds of things start to show up in the cache over time.

It could be interesting. Perhaps SOTW will report back at some time and let us know what happens.

Agreed about the appropriateness of container size. It is funny how threads go off on a tangent. Ha.

This specific cache is on a beach, just off a nature trail. I think a regular sized container works well. Smaller than an ammo can, bigger than a PB jar.

I'll report back with the feedback. I am assuming other will leave swag though. Then maybe it won't be an issue at all.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Oh gosh, I wouldn't say bad form. But kind of unusual. There may have been a few in my area placed by people who only hid a cache or two, and I didn't notice. But I can think of, over the years, two hiders of 10+ caches apiece who didn't place any swag in most or all of them. I suppose there was a little local geo-gossip chatter, of "that's weird", or even a "cheapskate" wisecrack here or there. :D Nothing crazy though.

Oh gosh, I wouldn't say bad form. But kind of unusual. There may have been a few in my area placed by people who only hid a cache or two, and I didn't notice. But I can think of, over the years, two hiders of 10+ caches apiece who didn't place any swag in most or all of them. I suppose there was a little local geo-gossip chatter, of "that's weird", or even a "cheapskate" wisecrack here or there. :D Nothing crazy though.

Yeah. Usually around here there is more chatter when someone uses a knock off instead of a genuine LnL container. :lol:

How do you know if it's a genuine lock and lock? It's clear with blue locks and I got it from the Geostore in Merritt Island, FL. I hope it's the real thing.

Look for the raised logo on the lid:

6163520128_7ed0c43394.jpg

Or on the bottom:

6162985945_ed1608d771.jpg

You can easily see it on a spray painted Lock & Lock:

6163518910_59f0f5e095.jpg

On a duct tape container look for the backward logo on the inside of the lid:

6163519688_8f67a5bbaf.jpg

Which leads us back to my idea about someday finding a new car in a cache.

I used to leave cars, new and used, as swag.

At least back in the days when caches near me were large enough to hold a Matchbox or similar sized vehicle. Micro and nano caches put a stop to that.

Oh darn, I was hoping to go find one of your caches and find a full sized camaro. Blue would be nice.

When I find cache I want a dry logbook with room to sign. If the cache is big enough for my money sig item I'll leave one of those. Otherwise the less swag the better because it is easier to find the logbook and if your really lucky a traveler. If you worry about swag, go down to the dollar store and buy a bag or two of the the toy soldiers and drop a couple in each cache you put out. I'm with you, the swag degrades exponentially so the lower quality swag is fine. FTF prize? The same crew always gets the FTF so why bother.

I like the full experience of caching and that includes finding a box with swag.

Me too!

To the OP:

I am an absolute swag junkie. Though I should preface such a statement with the qualifier that I almost never trade. I delight in sitting down with an ammo can, slowly reading the logbook and pawing through the swag, leaving a signature item behind. Speaking strictly toward my own bias, I would probably be somewhat disappointed to find a full size cache, empty of everything but a logbook. My mind would wonder why the owner didn't just spit out a film can.

Of course the choice is entirely yours, but since you asked I figured I'd be honest.

One suggestion I can make to reduce swag degradation is to make your caches less appealing to the P&G crowd. The caches which I own that are really difficult to get to actually improve, over time, with regards to swag. In speaking with the people who have hunted these caches, it seems they have a tendency to set aside a day just to do one, and as part of their planning, they often bring along some unique tidbit of swag to leave behind, taking nothing.

Edit to address this question:

I got it from the Geostore in Merritt Island, FL.

If memory serves, the ones that Dale sells come straight from Groundspeak.

I don't think Groundspeak sells name brand Lock & Locks, but I could be wrong.

Blowing up the image on the Groundspeak site reveals that the raised section of the lid is different.

Groundspeak's lids have a squared off raised section. Lock & Locks raised section narrows toward the center.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Thanks Frank. I look forward to those logs.

About the only thing I would argue with about your hide technique is the baggie for the log. Other than a poor second line of moisture protection a ziploc keeps the pages of the log together. Just don't use a baggie five time the size of the cache itself. People will end up leaving a corner hanging out.

Logs are complete, has a blast at "Why I Geocache!"

That is exactly the reason we do not put a baggie in our loch -n locks - they wick the water in when people close it up with part of the baggie in the seal. So far all our caches like this have survived one winter so far just fine.

I wish I could get a bunch of 30 cal ammo cans at a good price.

Some of my hides, the swagg degrades faster then others. If it was a hard to get to one I think I would be more likely to add more and better swagg for the work to get to there. If it degrades from there then so be it. I have a bunch of stuff from my daughter growing up to put into the containers and have found deals on some cheep cool stuff and my daughter likes to swap swagg so we do it. I don't really care and would rather find one dry and with room for me to add swagg then a nano. If you choose to put out a bigger one with out swagg I think it is fine and would at least be glad it is big so we can add some. If we did find it my daughter would fill it up for you I'm sure! When we started we put out some micros in places that could have held larger caches and we have thought to add a lock n lock under them for swagg. The micros are hidden in a rock and one was my daughters first idea to take apart a sharpie pen and make it a container. Now we go as big as the hiding place allows. Just put them out there how ever you want and We will be happy to find them. The bigger the better no matter what swagg is in them.

-WarNinjas

LOL, cheapskate I can live with. It's kind of true.

How do you know if it's a genuine lock and lock? It's clear with blue locks and I got it from the Geostore in Merritt Island, FL. I hope it's the real thing.

:laughing: That was just a dig at my buddy UrkMrYuck. It really has nothing to do with the thread. Sorry.

Um, I did not realize people were talking about me. :lol: Three or four years ago, the well-known, highly reputable, 100 year old company Farberware started making lock-n-lock clones. But I haven't seen them in a couple years, and have gone back to lock-n-locks, when I don't use an ammo cans. And indeed this Linky link verifies Farberware isn't makeing them any more. They always had a pink gasket, as opposed to the official Lock-n-Lock company's blue gasket.

And yes, they do have bad knock-offs at the dollar store for a dollar. I do have one out there as an experiment, but it's listed on an alternative Geocaching website. I believe it was placed in early November, 2010.

LOL, cheapskate I can live with. It's kind of true.

:laughing: That was just a dig at my buddy UrkMrYuck. It really has nothing to do with the thread. Sorry.

Um, I did not realize people were talking about me. :lol: Three or four years ago, the well-known, highly reputable, 100 year old company Farberware started making lock-n-lock clones. But I haven't seen them in a couple years, and have gone back to lock-n-locks, when I don't use an ammo cans. And indeed this Linky link verifies Farberware isn't makeing them any more. They always had a pink gasket, as opposed to the official Lock-n-Lock company's blue gasket.

And yes, they do have bad knock-offs at the dollar store for a dollar. I do have one out there as an experiment, but it's listed on an alternative Geocaching website. I believe it was placed in early November, 2010.

Oh now! You are quite aware that people are talking about you. Here is a link to the guy I heard talking about your fake LnLs.

Link

Is it okay? Yes. Rude? Probably not. I still put a good bit of dollar tree loot. I never fill a cache because I want to leave room for new swag and trackables and coins. It helps my mom was/is a pack rat and has a lot of stuff. Awhile back she gave me a giant bag of McToys so I've been using those to start my caches off with.