We need a place for approval disputes

parkrrrr

It seems that more and more people are getting the advice to "take your case to the forums" when their cache isn't approved, and more and more threads asking our opinion are popping up in various forums (mostly here and in General, but presumably in regional forums too.) I think we need a couple of things to make the whole "community standards" thing work more smoothly:

First, and most importantly, I think we need a forum that's specifically for such disputes, like the old "Survey Says" forum but allowing anyone to start a thread. "Survey Says" was low-traffic, but if things continue like they are now, the new forum would see one or two new threads a week, possibly more. That's not much less traffic than this forum gets.

Second, It'd be nice if there were an "unapproved but visible" state for caches that are in dispute in this way, so that the cache page and its logs can be viewed, but nobody but the owner and the various admins can create a new log. A cache in this state would also not show up on any searches or notifications, obviously. Most people who bring their disputes to the forums seem to assume that their cache is viewable by us mere mortals; it'd be nice if it actually were.

What do y'all think?

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

It seems that more and more people are getting the advice to "take your case to the forums" when their cache isn't approved, and more and more threads asking our opinion are popping up in various forums (mostly here and in General, but presumably in regional forums too.) I think we need a couple of things to make the whole "community standards" thing work more smoothly:

First, and most importantly, I think we need a forum that's specifically for such disputes, like the old "Survey Says" forum but allowing anyone to start a thread. "Survey Says" was low-traffic, but if things continue like they are now, the new forum would see one or two new threads a week, possibly more. That's not much less traffic than this forum gets.

Second, It'd be nice if there were an "unapproved but visible" state for caches that are in dispute in this way, so that the cache page and its logs can be viewed, but nobody but the owner and the various admins can create a new log. A cache in this state would also not show up on any searches or notifications, obviously. Most people who bring their disputes to the forums seem to assume that their cache is viewable by us mere mortals; it'd be nice if it actually were.

Not a bad idea. But I'd want the coordinates to not be displayed.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

What you're saying is that there should be a place for people who have their virtual caches rejected (because they submitted one, despite knowing the admins were cracking down on them) so they can whine.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

What you're saying is that there should be a place for people who have their virtual caches rejected (because they submitted one, despite knowing the admins were cracking down on them) so they can whine.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

GEOWHINERS

-Wily Javelina

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Basically. It's a lot easier to ignore them if they're all in one place.

No, really, I think most people who come here to whine about their denied virtual caches are new to the forums and don't actually know about the recent sea change regarding virtuals. They've been sent here by some well-intentioned admin, and they end up getting berated and beaten up for not knowing something they had no real way of knowing. If we're going to go around shooting fish, we might as well have a barrel to put them in first. [Edit: except for TEAM 360. I don't know what's wrong with them.]

As for not showing coordinates: I thought of that, but I thought there might be some reasons that coordinates would be handy on some caches. Without coordinates, you won't be able to see the railroad tracks or the military base next to the cache, or to look up the historic monument online and post the text of it verbatim, or to do any of those other things the regulars here seem to love to do to take the wind out of the newbies' sails.

pirate.cgi.gif