why use postal codes when we all have GPS??

CachingCanucks

Maybe this has been raised before, but I am wondering why we use postal codes to set home location when instead we could put our GPS co-ords (rounded off sufficiently that noone shows up at front door). Seems to me that if we did this, we would instantly allow all users to find caches near them with great precision, over the entire globe. The "G" in GPS does mean "global" doesn't it? Having just moved to Canada from the USA, I find the functionality not as good as when I was living in the US. This would fix it once, for everybody, everywhere? Or have I missed the obvious?

I have always used my coords instead of zip. If I look up caches in my area by zip, it adds another 6 miles or so to the distance, not to mention my city has 4 different zipcodes.

I think zip searches are a quick easy way to get an estimate of how many caches will be in an area you are travelling to.

Kar

Example:

I just finished a trip to the D.C. area. I knew the zip to my hotel, popped it here - walla had a list - done....

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

quote:
Originally posted by Vacman:

Example:

I just finished a trip to the D.C. area. I knew the zip to my hotel, popped it here - walla had a list - done....

You're kidding! A black jaguar had the list?

Or did you perhaps mean voilà?

(Sorry, but this one bugs me just about as much as seeing "noone" instead of "no one".)

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."