What guidelines for placing caches for a MEGA

flipflopnick

Now that there have been a few MEGA events. What lessons have been learnt for local cachers placing caches near the MEGA venue? I heard roadside was not a clever placement. What other good ideas are there?

im happy with a reasanble circuler walk, i dont go out and spend all day driving around i prefer a nice stroll maby 3 miles or so bag a few and back for lunch. even better if they are child and buggy friendly

lmn

I think for caches close to the venue the most important is plenty of space for the long queue of people waiting to sign the log. Vital to have the exact placement of the cache explained on the container so when it gets passed from hand to hand to the last person in the queue they'll know where it goes as they are now several hundred feet away from where it originally was.

OK, I'm having a laugh but did come across this exact situation at the Harrogate Mega and I remember someone handing me a magnetic keysafe and I had no idea where it came from!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Something fun...

I hid this one for the Weston mega and people still mention it when they see me. People want something memorable and fun.

Splish Splash

Looking back I think caches need to target the tourists. People are visiting from all over the UK and often tie in a mega with a holiday. I think it's important that you show off what's best about your local area. But only places that can cope with very heavy footfall.

Also consider groups of people who want to do something together for the day. Mega's are a chance for friends to meet up from all over the UK to go caching. The little circuit close to the welsh camping event this year was a good example of a series you can complete in an hour or so with friends without having to move far from site.

Otherwise just make sure you have robust containers, very big log books and room for travel bugs :)

I feel I have a little bit of the exact opposite problem: should I temp disable some of my hides? Will large numbers cause havoc to the hide? None are very close to the Mega but certainly on the way.

Agree with other points above about hiding them. Anything in Cartmel is going to be swamped so 'temp' caches are probably best rather than an expectation of being there for more than the minimum.

It's an interesting conundrum. :rolleyes:

Also renew logs prior to the event, most of mine had 100+ hits per day over the event... also if you have several caches out stand by for the hundreds of email notifications which will come your way... Re Harrogate I still get the odd one... and as Chris says be ready for the post event maintenance which will be needed. All that said it is a great experience for all concerned and we intend to add a couple of new caches in the area. Regards Max

Can only speak for Perth

What we did .....

Caches published well in advance of the event for people to organise their PQs/routes and to help them decide what area they want to be each day. (Also looks good on the map for encouraging people to attend a Mega)

Plenty log books/paper in both new and existing caches.

(Mega Perth issued local cachers with maintenance kits to do this)

We didn't hide any nano's or micros.

Most of the closeby micros got archived and removed as they were not suitable for hundreds of cachers, only a very few were kept within the town itself.

The cache closest to the venue got a new position more suitable and the micro was replaced with a box.

You can't do much about the queue for some caches, it is going to happen!

You can't hide temporary caches they are meant to be permanent!

Disable - only if it is really unsuitable but you would need to remove the container or cachers will still hunt for it. Why disable, you will get more hits to your box than you ever will otherwise? Yes it could disappear after hundreds of finds over the event weeks, but then it could also disappear after only 5 finds in a year?

Tourist spots are also going to be muggle spots.

Trails of caches coming in towards Perth from various directions.

Caches around all the side event venue's.

Variety of caches to suit all - need some within walking distance for those using public transport and nice trails around camp sites.

I know some of you do not like Drive by caches, but the 'Drive in the Country' wee boxes proved a most popular series both to number crunchers and those who just wanted to explore the area and see a bit of the scenery - and of course you cannot guarantee perfect weather so these are great for rainy days or if people are just footsore from previous days excursions.

Consider a TB Hotel near major roads so that travellers can get moved along towards their goal.

In a position that can withstand a wildebeest trail.

Inform local police what is going on.

And of course it goes without saying ............ all in interesting spots! :lol: :lol:

I feel I have a little bit of the exact opposite problem: should I temp disable some of my hides? Will large numbers cause havoc to the hide? None are very close to the Mega but certainly on the way.

Agree with other points above about hiding them. Anything in Cartmel is going to be swamped so 'temp' caches are probably best rather than an expectation of being there for more than the minimum.

It's an interesting conundrum. :rolleyes:

I think part of sensible cache management is to consider disabling anything that might suffer as a result of heavy footfall. I know for Weston quite a few of the local caches were disabled. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened in Perth and Swansea too. It's a pragmatic move on the part of the owners to protect those caches for the longer term.

You can't hide temporary caches they are meant to be permanent!

Caches aren't permanent, unlike dogs for christmas! (or have I got that wrong!?) :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong in hiding caches for a specific mega event and clearing them away after, assuming they've been out for a few months as per the guidelines.

I'm sure most of mine will stay out but there's a couple which have slightly delicate hides that I was thinking about removing, but we'll have to see. I'm sure there won't be a shortage!