Articles about Geocaching in South Africa

GEO936

Hi Everyone

I know that some other threads have mentioned media articles about Geocaching in South Africa. But I would like to include two new ones from Johannesburg, as well as include the one from Cape Town. If you have been involved with an Article as well, please feel free to add to this topic that I've started.

Greetings

Silvia (GEO936)

Cape Town:

http://www.capetownmagazine.com/things-to-do-cape-town/Geocaching-in-the-Mother-City/15_52_53510

Johannesburg:

http://www.jda.org.za/news-and-media-releases-2011/september/738-go-get-your-geocache

Johannesburg - Lonehill:

WHAT IS GEOCACHING?

If you hike chances are you’ve passed within a few feet of one. If you’ve visited a shopping mall, you might have parked right next to one. If you’ve stopped to rest on a park bench, you may have been sitting on one. There may be one in the park across the street, or on the summit of that hill you drive past every day, or along the shore of that scenic pond where you walk your dog. They are everywhere, yet unseen by most people. That is, unseen by all but a small, but growing group of people who call themselves geocachers.

It's called geocaching. And smart phones equipped with GPS navigation have made it even easier for the average person to embark on a treasure hunting adventure.

Who are these people who have this gift to see what others can’t?

They are doctors, teachers, police officers, IT techies, homemakers and executives. They are students and retirees. They are families and singles. They are serious outdoorsmen and computer geeks but they all have one thing in common - they hunt geocaches, these things that the rest of us regularly pass by unawares.

So what exactly is a geocache?

In its simplest form it is a weather resistant container, containing a log book for visitors to sign, perhaps a pencil and if the container is large enough, sometimes there is an assortment of trinkets of modest value (usually worth no more than a few Rands) to swap. They are carefully concealed from the rest of us, but geocachers know where to find them thanks to GPS technology.

You can use a GPS, an iPhone or other smartphone, which can point out the locations of geocaches closest to you. When you find one, write your name and the date in the geocache logbook and record it on your online membership profile.

Sign up for a free membership at www.geocaching.com to receive the locations and clues to finding geocaches.

Want to know more?

A few of us are getting together to share our experiences, so pop by and ask your questions.

Where: Lonehill Park (S 26° 00.888 E 028° 01.616) below the dam

When: Saturday 10 September 2011, between 09:30 and 12:00

Edited by GEO936

Hi there, I'm new here on geocaching, live in Springs, Gauteng. Afrikaans speaking.

I want to know where can I buy a gps suited for geocaching. Can you tell me how to download a our pictures, and also my profile pictur, thx enjoy your sunday afterneen.

Regards

Rensche

Hi there, I'm new here on geocaching, live in Springs, Gauteng. Afrikaans speaking.

I want to know where can I buy a gps suited for geocaching. Can you tell me how to download a our pictures, and also my profile pictur, thx enjoy your sunday afterneen.

Regards

Rensche

Regards

Rensche

Hi Rensche

PM sent.

Have a look at Cape Union Mart, at the East Rand Mall. I bought my Garmin Legend HCx there. But there are much better geocaching devices out there.

Contact me via skype one evening and I can help you set up your profile pictures

Regards

Rensche

Hi Rensche

PM sent.

Thank you so much. Baie dnkie Anton, asook my profile pic wil ek graag op he, geseende dag. enjoy your day... :rolleyes:

Have a look at Cape Union Mart, at the East Rand Mall. I bought my Garmin Legend HCx there. But there are much better geocaching devices out there.

Contact me via skype one evening and I can help you set up your profile pictures