Setting up a Gamin Oregon

MossStar

Personally I found that I didn't need to tweak anything from the default settings to geocache. You'll have plenty of fun tweakng once you get used to what it can do.

Have you discovered the Oregon Wiki, plenty of info here, also the dedicated forum?

Enjoy!

PS: I'd also thoroughly recommend TalkyToasters great maps, they are free, plus the free OS maps via Mobile Atlas Creator (use the Multimap UK OS Map as your map source).

Which model Oregon do you have? If it's a 't' model it already has the Garmin European maps pre-installed which are very similar to the free OpenStreeMaps from Talky Toaster. You can run both but you'll find the OSM maps have more detail for paths and tracks and contour lines.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Personally I found that I didn't need to tweak anything from the default settings to geocache. You'll have plenty of fun tweakng once you get used to what it can do.

Have you discovered the Oregon Wiki, plenty of info here, also the dedicated forum?

Enjoy!

PS: I'd also thoroughly recommend TalkyToasters great maps, they are free, plus the free OS maps via Mobile Atlas Creator (use the Multimap UK OS Map as your map source).

-----------

Thanks for replying and I shall look up Oregon Wiki. I'm ok with the ,maps but not to sure of the setting up the compass. Ie when caching do I set my Oregon550 compass to Auto or Off in the Heading menu.

Which model Oregon do you have? If it's a 't' model it already has the Garmin European maps pre-installed which are very similar to the free OpenStreeMaps from Talky Toaster. You can run both but you'll find the OSM maps have more detail for paths and tracks and contour lines.

Chris

Graculus

-------------

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Gamin Oregon 550 with gamins discovery maps. Its the compass settings I am having difficulty with. Too many conflicting views on the Internet that even contradict the Oregon manual. When caching should the compass setting within the Heading setup be Auto or Off. Is the GPS compass more accurate than the electronic compass.?

Once again many thanks

The built in electronic compass works like a 'hand held' compass. It always points correctly even when you stop. You can hold the GPS at any angle (flat, vertically or at an angle) and the compass will still work. The GPS compass means it uses the GPS satellite signal to work so when you stop moving so does the compass needle, it freezes. The electronic one is best (you've paid for it so use it!!) so set it to Auto. This means above fast walking speed the GPS compass works and below that (when you are cache hunting) the electronic one works. You will need to periodically calibrate the compass. Just follow the strange turning motions on the screen as instructed. True north is what I set mine too. You should also set the pointer to Bearing and not Course. The compass arrow then points directly to the cache or waypoint you are navigating to. Just follow the arrow. But not literally... don't go walking over cliffs.

If you want to see how it all works, mark your house as a waypoint then take a walk about half a mile away and then navigate back to the house waypoint. You can watch how the compass works and if you set the compass data fields to Distance to Destination you'll get a countdown of the distance to go.

All this and more explained on my resource website, link under my signature.

Chris

Graculus

The built in electronic compass works like a 'hand held' compass. It always points correctly even when you stop. You can hold the GPS at any angle (flat, vertically or at an angle) and the compass will still work. The GPS compass means it uses the GPS satellite signal to work so when you stop moving so does the compass needle, it freezes. The electronic one is best (you've paid for it so use it!!) so set it to Auto. This means above fast walking speed the GPS compass works and below that (when you are cache hunting) the electronic one works. You will need to periodically calibrate the compass. Just follow the strange turning motions on the screen as instructed. True north is what I set mine too. You should also set the pointer to Bearing and not Course. The compass arrow then points directly to the cache or waypoint you are navigating to. Just follow the arrow. But not literally... don't go walking over cliffs.

If you want to see how it all works, mark your house as a waypoint then take a walk about half a mile away and then navigate back to the house waypoint. You can watch how the compass works and if you set the compass data fields to Distance to Destination you'll get a countdown of the distance to go.

Chris

Graculus

Chris

Graculus

-------------

That was a good piece of information many thanks. I have now setup my GPS and shall try it out some time next week. Thanks for your time.

Maurice

Moss8945