Taking over an abandoned cache

zenrandom

There is a cache in my area that appears to have an owner that has been MIA... the cache itself is in so/so shape. It lost its logbook and some other geocacher was nice enough to leave one. By the looks of it though this cache seems to have been abandoned by its owner (who is also no longer active on geocaching.com. Is there a procedure for someone to take over maintenance of a cache that appears to have been abandoned by its owner. (I sent mail through geocache and haven't heard anything from them.

Thanks,

-ZR

Zen, what I would do is post a note on the cache page, asking that the owner contact you (since his email apparently is dead) because you are interested in adopting the cache.

After a month when you haven't heard anything (you won't), send an email to Jeremy explaining that you've posted a note on the cache and have heard nothing... and you'd like to adopt it.

This request may go unnoticed for a while or forever. I went through the process, and after sending more than a couple of emails Jeremy's way, it was done. I didn't like that I felt like I was bothering the site admins... but in the end I got the cache and all is well.

Good luck.

Jamie

No, I didn't take the bug, it was taken by the previous visitor. I am going to go back and see if they left a name or something because they didn't log the find on the webpage and haven't updated the travel bug. The owner of said bug has emailed me, I live less than two miles from there...and frequently ride right by it on my bike :-) So I told him I'd check it out for him.