Other than a GPSr what else do you feel is a "Must Have" expense for geocaching?

willis2u

I dont have a GPS unit but I have an Droid. Would you guys say I should get a GPS unit?

If you want the experience everything geocaching has to offer, then yes, get a GPS unit. Your Droid has limited battery life and may not get reception in certain areas. It also isn't meant to get knocked around, rained on, dropped in snow, dragged on rocks, etc. the way a handheld GPS is designed to do.

Most serious geocachers I know use a GPS. They often use their Droids or iPhones for spur of the moment caching or to check on the up to the minute status of a cache, but for most caching they use a handheld GPS unit.

What sorts of things have you found makes your geocaching experience easier and more enjoyable?

• A good rugged handheld GPS with a strong antenna that I can use for both driving and caching.
  • My cellphone with browser access and a camera so I can get full use of CacheSense. I can store photos and field notes for each cache find. Makes it easier to sort through my finds and do write-ups when I get home.
  • Setting up my PQs to filter out micros makes geocaching more enjoyable for me. I like the full experience, which for me includes swag.

1. Premium membership.

2. Hiking Stick

3. Hiking boots ( long pants also )

4. 3" mirror w/ long extension handle.

5. High intensity flashlight.

6. Sharpie ( signs all logs, even wet )

7. Small pocket screwdriver ( extracts small logs, etc )

8. Micro probe....I use a 12" long 1/4" SS rod, specially bent ( turns over rocks, grabs ammo cans, roots, etc )

9. A fanny-bag or belt storage bag for the above and holster for your GPS

10. Spare batteries & water.

First Aid....you'll really want to carry a first aid kit ( think cuts, scrapes,bruises, bites, and stings )

Plenty of people will add tons to the list but this is what I carry.....just snap on the outer belt which supports the pouch and GPS holster, grab my stick and you're good to go. I won't be caching a hour or so and I will have used every item above. I tried back-packs but they're too hot in the summer and not as comfortable......I do carry all the above and MUCH more in a back-pack which stays in the car.

Some of the items above may only be needed for certain types of caches. (You wouldn't likely need hiking boots to do a micro in a parking lot for example.)

Essentials:

Pens

Pencils

Something to carry your stuff in (Right now I'm just using a zip lock and either grocery store bags or a jacket with big pockets, but am thinking about getting a DSLR type camera bag)

Very useful stuff:

Bug spray :P

Paperclips (aka extraction tool, for hard to remove logs)

Flashlight (useful at night/low light, or when checking holes and other shadowy/dark areas)

Pocketknife/Swiss Army Knife/Screwdriver

Stuff that could be useful to have:

Notepad and/or Paper (temporary logs, puzzle notes, Multi-cache stage notes, etc.)

Swag (in case you find something you'd really like to take)

Camera (pics for your own memories, or to e-mail to a CO on request to prove you did find a cache but couldn't sign the log book because it was full/wet/etc.)

What about GSAK?

It may not be a " must have " but that is one GREAT program and when loading a half dozen Garmins and Magellans prior to a caching it really hits the spot....as fast as I plug them in they get loaded and on long trips I use it to load my pda's ( although with the new paperless units I never use them anymore ). Its great for organizing.....I haven't scratched the surface on all its capabilities but it does what I need :D

Based on my limited caching to date:

Fisher Space Pen or Uni-Ball Power Tank pen (pressurized pens that write on wet or dry paper)

Small pocket notebook like the Rhodia pads for jotting down info, co-ordinates, etc.

Dedicated GPS unit

Smartphone with geocaching app

Water & snack food

Warm white or Neutral white flashlight (works better with foilage than cool white)

Swiss Army Knife

Fanny pack or murse to carry all your gear in.