Two caches disappear after a vist from the same team?

TheDonovans

We have two caches near to our home location - both have been in place for 5 - 6 months and have gained 7 favourite points between them - they were visited by by the same team this week and suddenly the are DNF - do I just put this down to experience or is there something else we could do? I have both temp suspended atm.

We have two caches near to our home location - both have been in place for 5 - 6 months and have gained 7 favourite points between them - they were visited by by the same team this week and suddenly the are DNF - do I just put this down to experience or is there something else we could do? I have both temp suspended atm.

Reading the logs, I'd say it's just cooincidence... one of them sounds like it was already out in the open, and they re-hid it, but it's since gone missing again. The other one, sounds like it's on private property, without permission (or has permission that the said 'guards' don't know anything about), and has been removed by the landowners/management.

Yes - you may be correct - I'll replace them both (as we do have permission) but I'm glad our third cache is in Brittany!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reading the logs, I'd say it's just cooincidence... one of them sounds like it was already out in the open, and they re-hid it, but it's since gone missing again. The other one, sounds like it's on private property, without permission (or has permission that the said 'guards' don't know anything about), and has been removed by the landowners/management.

Logged as DNF only, or have you been and searched -thoroughly- and confirmed that they are missing?

Caches can 'migrate' from the position you first hid them. Sometimes deliberately -cachers think that it's a better place than you do- sometimes it's just a fact that caches do move!

Sometimes what first appears to be a 'Perfect Spot' for a cache, can become the local youths favourite place to congregate...

IF you have confirmed they are missing, have you marked them as 'Temporary Disabled"?

Edited by Bear and Ragged
both have been in place for 5 - 6 months and have gained 7 favourite points between them - they were visited by by the same team this week and suddenly the are DNF

I see one listing where the cache is a popular hangout and has observant security guards and closed-circuit cameras. This is a recipe for the container being removed any time immediately after a cacher finds it. Doesn't matter who the cacher is, although the timing of the hunt is a factor. I can't imagine uncomfortable cachers being questioned by a security guard, then stole a Geocache at that moment, nor returned later to risk facing another suspicious security guard. But I can think of a couple of ways the container could go missing in this situation. As mentioned, it may not be gone.

Give it a few weeks, then hide a new container. You should mention that extra stealth is required. I would avoid hunting a cache that's under special scrutiny, where the CO suspects me if anything happens to it.

Confirmed that the second had been muggled [V] then I spoke to security and they told me how long and how obvious the 'stealthy' search had been - they didn't take it! A pity but we have only lost 2 container so far so I will replace in due course.

both have been in place for 5 - 6 months and have gained 7 favourite points between them - they were visited by by the same team this week and suddenly the are DNF

I see one listing where the cache is a popular hangout and has observant security guards and closed-circuit cameras. This is a recipe for the container being removed any time immediately after a cacher finds it. Doesn't matter who the cacher is, although the timing of the hunt is a factor. I can't imagine uncomfortable cachers being questioned by a security guard, then stole a Geocache at that moment, nor returned later to risk facing another suspicious security guard. But I can think of a couple of ways the container could go missing in this situation. As mentioned, it may not be gone.

Give it a few weeks, then hide a new container. You should mention that extra stealth is required. I would avoid hunting a cache that's under special scrutiny, where the CO suspects me if anything happens to it.

You should mention that extra stealth is required.

Any time I see this, I translate it to, "I hid a cache without permission," and/or "I hid a cache in a place that probably isn't a good hiding place because there are just too many people around."

That said, one of my favorite micros to this day is the one on Wenceslas Square in Prague, which is a film can held in a statue's fist. Unless you hit it at the dead of night or the crack of dawn, there are guaranteed to be hundreds of muggles about.

I put "Stealth" required on most all caches...mainly for irony...

Acting "Stealthy" is the easiest way (and most likely way) in which one is caught. Act like you know what you are doing (because most of us do know what we are doing) and most people will leave you alone. If approached, I tend to wait for them to get to me (usually approaching oncoming people puts them in a defensive mood) and I usually open the conversation with "So, I bet you are wondering what I am doing here?" It works often to relax them and it usually a great opener for dicussion. Depending on when I am "spotted" during the search, I will either show them what I found, ask if there are interested in helping or wait for them to leave before replacing the cache in its spot (course, this would be after the find). A sure way to get "extra-unwanted" attention is to run when someone approaches you.

Many of the caches in which neighbors have seen me have been adopted and watched over by the surrounding houses...sort of funny how the locals take over the care of a cache when they know it is doing no harm.

That said, one of my favorite micros to this day is the one on Wenceslas Square in Prague, which is a film can held in a statue's fist. Unless you hit it at the dead of night or the crack of dawn, there are guaranteed to be hundreds of muggles about.

When we did that one we just prentended we were trying to get an insteresting photo from different angles. Most of the lurkers didn't pay much attention to us, but it was cold.

We quite enjoy stealth caches and often find stealth is not always required even at busy locations. Contrary to what most people think, most people wander around in a fog and don't notice half the things going on around them. If they did they might see some interesting things. Artists like Derren Brown use this knowledge to perform tricks on the public.

Next time you're out and about, grab a coffee, sit outside and watch people - ocassionally you will see something funny, fascinating and/or interesting. Every now and then look up, look around, take in your surroundings... as geocachers we're more aware than most of certain activities taking place, but we're not immune from tunnel vision.

Recently we took our nephew geocaching in Bedworth Park, after we had found one or two and headed to the next, he started going up to the nearest tree and looking to see if it had a cache, turning to us to ask if it was there... of course we were still over a hundred meters away but it was cool to see his awareness level being increased by geocaching!

Sorry, but geocaching is the only opportunity I have had in my long lifetime in which I have had a chance or a reason to practice stealth. It is hard to lose the word. Also, we have noticed that people don't pay attention to old people behaving oddly--I think it embarrasses them. Guess I am off topic. Sorry.

I know it's OT but my idea of stealth is only before I start looking, I usually want to wait for people to pass or leave. Once I start looking though I dont stop. Once you start looking 10 feet off a hiking trail, kinda hard to play that off lol. I'm getting better at not caring what others think, but its still uncomfortable for me, knowing people are looking at me wonder WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE LOL