Inability to Understand that FTF's aren't 'Real'

Krydos

Has anyone that has a problem with the offending cache owner or has the OP contacted the CO to discuss his violations, according to his profile he only has 1 post in the forums, so if his local community isn't saying anything to him he might not know of the outrage! Although we know what one reviewer thinks the other reviewer that published the cache hasn't commented unless I missed it.

He contacted us when we mentioned that this smelled of an ALR on another of his caches, in reply he sent us a two page all caps e-mail, expressing his feelings that there is only one true ftf and we are tainting the game when we share ftf's. Then this cache again with the same paragraph was published. Another cacher posted on this cache (that note has been deleted) that he thought it was an ALR and the CO should lighten up.

So yes the CO knows how people feel about it and he just doesn't give a darn. I think imo the reviewer feels that he can have that statement on there, but he's not going to be able to enforce it. I on the other hand don't think that statement should even be allowed on there whether it's enforced or not.

I definitely feel the "get off my lawn" sentiment around this CO. Would love to have an ignore all by cacher feature at this point. We didn't even know it was his cache until we thought about going for FTF on it and then decided we didn't want the hassle. It bothers me that I have to worry about who owns a cache before running out the door on a first to find and if our log is just going to be deleted and we waste the trip out there.

Has anyone that has a problem with the offending cache owner or has the OP contacted the CO to discuss his violations, according to his profile he only has 1 post in the forums, so if his local community isn't saying anything to him he might not know of the outrage! Although we know what one reviewer thinks the other reviewer that published the cache hasn't commented unless I missed it.

His one post is, not surprisingly, on this very topic. If you go about 2/3rds of the way down the thread (started by the at-issue CO), this exact topic is discussed:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=274449

This FTF log might be suspicious http://www.geocachin...7e-d32e704d4d8d

I would favorite the cache if I gave out favorite votes!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Too bad he didn't log Co-FTF.

That's interesting. Is two different people claiming FTF the same as Co-FTF? Well, according to his profile, the CO is retired. Retired guys are grumpy, and opinionated. You'll probably want to stay off his lawn, too. :huh:

hahaha and non retired people are not as you say? Some of the happiest nicest people I know are retired! and like wise some of the grumpiest are working still!

Francis, work with me here. It's the ol' "old guy who yells at kids to stay off his lawn" shtick. :D

i would claim FTF, he only says he will delete any co-FTF

how can he/she tell from home who was FTF, let him go out to the cache and determine that :anibad::lol:

Who says "FTF" has to mean "First to Find"? There is a newbie cacher in my area that logged a FTF on one of my caches that had been in place for over a year and had over 80 finds. I thought maybe someone had replaced the log and he was first to sign the new log. Then he started logging FTF on more of my caches. I was planning on emailing him to find out what was up, then one day he spelled it out "Fun To Find". I thought it was hysterical and never bothered to email him. I hope it doesn't cause him any problems with other COs.

If I came across a cache which didn't permit co-ftfs, which I don't have a problem with either way, just for fun I would get a group of cachers together and all log FTFs (fun to find). And, I know just the bunch for the job!

That's interesting. Is two different people claiming FTF the same as Co-FTF? Well, according to his profile, the CO is retired. Retired guys are grumpy, and opinionated. You'll probably want to stay off his lawn, too. :huh:

hahaha and non retired people are not as you say? Some of the happiest nicest people I know are retired! and like wise some of the grumpiest are working still!

Francis, work with me here. It's the ol' "old guy who yells at kids to stay off his lawn" shtick. :D

I know the kind, had one two houses down the road from me when I was a kid. He used to chase us with a broom.... but he did have the nicest front yard on the street!

I know the kind, had one two houses down the road from me when I was a kid. He used to chase us with a broom.... but he did have the nicest front yard on the street!

I believe he was thinking more of someone like this:

c44ecaa8-754d-45cf-8928-7debbae8acb0.jpg

Edited by knowschad

I believe he was thinking more of someone like this:

c44ecaa8-754d-45cf-8928-7debbae8acb0.jpg

haha - some people. I had a note on my car today (legally parked on the street) notifying me that I was blocking the guys TV antenna. That was a new one.

Team Van Dyk-"Is it just me or has the CO deleted his all-caps Note and removed the "no co-FTF" ALR from the page?"

The owner has removed the "no co-FTF" language from his cache. I would hope that the bogus find logs and other childish comments that don't belong as logs will be removed by those that put them there.

While I can't imagine why the CO would care, I also don't understand why anyone else would care. If it came up, my log would just read, "Fred and I found this as a team, so I guess this cache won't have an FTF@9:30am."

The guy's obviously a character, but I don't know why everyone badgered him into submission. Let the poor guy have his quirks: they aren't hurting anyone.

-don

While I can't imagine why the CO would care, I also don't understand why anyone else would care. If it came up, my log would just read, "Fred and I found this as a team, so I guess this cache won't have an FTF@9:30am."

The guy's obviously a character, but I don't know why everyone badgered him into submission. Let the poor guy have his quirks: they aren't hurting anyone.

-don

Because if he gets away with this, his next move will be to require the FTF to be wearing a Cornhuskers T-Shirt or jacket, and provide a picture.

-don

I agree. Though I don't agree with the CO's philosophy about FTFs, I think the unkind comments and bogus logs are totally out of line. Leave him alone. I appreciate anybody who hides caches for others to find. So sad to see that others take pleasure in slamming those that do. If you don't like his philosophy, then just don't go look for his caches. This is sad. :sad:

-don

I agree. Though I don't agree with the CO's philosophy about FTFs, I think the unkind comments and bogus logs are totally out of line. Leave him alone. I appreciate anybody who hides caches for others to find. So sad to see that others take pleasure in slamming those that do. If you don't like his philosophy, then just don't go look for his caches. This is sad. :sad:

I agree that folks should not be posting on his cache page...but to just say its okay to ignore someone's finds if their ALRs bother you, I think that is wrong too. What if those caches were within a mile of your house, would you want to have that cache stare at you on your first page forever? If he has removed his ALR no CoFTF thing, then its been resolved and time to move on.

-don

Meh. <_<

Though I don't agree with the CO's philosophy about FTFs, I think the unkind comments and bogus logs are totally out of line. Leave him alone.

I have mixed feelings about this. While I generally don't think it is appropriate to jump all over someone, there are times when it is appropriate for a community to express its disapproval of unsocial actions. To my mind, anything that makes the FTFers even more angsty than they already are is not helpful to the geocaching community, and needs to be pointed out as unacceptable.

I totally agree with you. I just think there are kinder ways to point out the issue without jumping all over somebody. Yes, he created the problem, but some of the comments are just mean and I don't think that's necessary.

Threatening to delete logs just because someone claims FTF alongside someone else is just mean and I don't think that's necessary.

-don

I agree that folks should not be posting on his cache page...but to just say its okay to ignore someone's finds if their ALRs bother you, I think that is wrong too. What if those caches were within a mile of your house, would you want to have that cache stare at you on your first page forever? If he has removed his ALR no CoFTF thing, then its been resolved and time to move on.

I'm not being a wise guy, but you do know there are those of us who use the website provided ignore list, or GSAK to filter out caches we don't care to find, no? 500 ignored caches in my 50 mile notification radius tells me I wouldn't have a cache a mile from my house I don't care for staring at me forever. :lol:

I do agree there was no need to pile on the guy with notes and finds on his cache pages. Although I do find Mr. T's "Co-FTF" bookmark list amusing.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I totally agree with you. I just think there are kinder ways to point out the issue without jumping all over somebody. Yes, he created the problem, but some of the comments are just mean and I don't think that's necessary.

Do we know that the cache owner was reading this discussion? Perhaps he was, but if so, I don't think he made it known. A couple of logs on his cache claming bogus FTFs were the only real "pile-on" that we can say for sure happened, and that seems to me to be a pretty gentle social protest.

Team Van Dyk-"Is it just me or has the CO deleted his all-caps Note and removed the "no co-FTF" ALR from the page?"

The owner has removed the "no co-FTF" language from his cache. I would hope that the bogus find logs and other childish comments that don't belong as logs will be removed by those that put them there.

Knowing the OP, I was reading about this. Just in case you were wondering, the CO still has the language on two of his other caches:

GC2YY66

GC30GC1

Either he forgot that he had it on two other caches, or he still plans on deleting, but chose to remove the language to avoid further "FTF" mentions in the logs.

Personally I like my ignored list bookmark to be caches that I just cant get right now....because they require a boat and I am not brave enough to do those waters (but they are near enough to me they show up in my nearest finds), or challenge caches I have not done (or won't do), or caches that are not findable. If a cache is 100 miles from home and I won't ever do it, it won't annoy me, but if its in my nearest caches and would show up in my PQs or my nearest results, then I ignore it if I can't do it.

I do not want to ignore any cache just for the sake of ignoring it because of an ALR or the CO bothers me or its a "crappy" hide. I would rather find an annoying cache and then wash my hands of it by it showing up in finds months ago and then forgetting about it, rather than it taunt me forever in my ignore list. Obviously there are many ways to use the ignore list, there is no set rule in stone.

Edited by lamoracke
I do not want to ignore any cache just for the sake of ignoring it because of an ALR or the CO bothers me or its a "crappy" hide. I would rather find an annoying cache and then wash my hands of it by it showing up in finds months ago and then forgetting about it, rather than it taunt me forever in my ignore list.

You, my friend, are what we call a "radius slave."

Give it up and be happy with lots of nearby unfound caches, and you will know peace.

:smile:

Why is everyone getting so crazy about this. He got it approved. He posted it. There is already a FTF. So why is there at this point a two page discussion on a cache that I doubt 99% are within a 100 miles to go grab?

I dunno, maybe because this is a discussion forum?

Yeah, but on top of that, no one is "getting so crazy about this". It's quite a whimsical thread, really. People cracking jokes, making bookmark lists, reviewers clamiming co-ftf, people posting pictures of Dirty Harry with a "there is no such thing as Co-FTF" caption, and more.

Why? Because the whole thing is ridiculous, and you can't threaten to delete logs for something so ridiculous. It was probably published without that language on the cache page.

Personally I like my ignored list bookmark to be caches that I just cant get right now....because they require a boat and I am not brave enough to do those waters (but they are near enough to me they show up in my nearest finds), or challenge caches I have not done (or won't do), or caches that are not findable. If a cache is 100 miles from home and I won't ever do it, it won't annoy me, but if its in my nearest caches and would show up in my PQs or my nearest results, then I ignore it if I can't do it.

I do not want to ignore any cache just for the sake of ignoring it because of an ALR or the CO bothers me or its a "crappy" hide. I would rather find an annoying cache and then wash my hands of it by it showing up in finds months ago and then forgetting about it, rather than it taunt me forever in my ignore list. Obviously there are many ways to use the ignore list, there is no set rule in stone.

Almost didn't see this, and although I'm not quoted, I believe it may be a direct response to me. :) No big deal, your first post on the matter sounded as if you had never even used the ignore list. There certainly are many ways of using the ignore list, because believe me, never, as long as I live, will any caches on mine taunt me. :D

And don't worry. Amongst highly active premium members with a couple thousand finds or more, I'm sure your use of it is more mainstream than mine.

Almost didn't see this, and although I'm not quoted, I believe it may be a direct response to me. :) No big deal, your first post on the matter sounded as if you had never even used the ignore list. There certainly are many ways of using the ignore list, because believe me, never, as long as I live, will any caches on mine taunt me. :D

And don't worry. Amongst highly active premium members with a couple thousand finds or more, I'm sure your use of it is more mainstream than mine.

An advantage of living in a cache sparse environment, and not a radius slave (I wish there were a better term for that), is that one doesn't not need to maintain a large ignore list. If there is a cache I don't want to find I just remember not to search for it.

Why is everyone getting so crazy about this. He got it approved. He posted it. There is already a FTF. So why is there at this point a two page discussion on a cache that I doubt 99% are within a 100 miles to go grab?

Because the CO is setting himself up as the ultimate arbiter of what is and what is not acceptable geocaching.