Kids caching!

JeepFreak81

Hey everyone,

So I just started caching and have been bringing the family along. My kids and wife really enjoy it and my Son asked me if he could start his own account and sign the logs. At first I told him no and said you had to be an adult, but then I realized the only thing required for an account is a name and an email account.

Is this generally acceptable to start an account for your kid? Or is this frowned upon? Don't want to tell him he can do one just to find out we shouldn't have done it.

Thanks!

~Jason

My 7 year old daughter has done it with me for a few months but now has her own account and want's premium membership for her birthday. She loves it and i like getting out in the open with her. her name is The Minion. :D

My son is also 7, and very internet and computer savvy. I will have to give him the good news, he should be quite excited. My 2 year old also Loves GeoCaching....but I think she might be a tad young for her own account :lol:

After caching for a couple of years my 3 kids decided they wanted their own accounts. It was a lot of work to retroactively log all their finds, so I highly recommend your son be allowed to get his own account now, before his find count gets even higher!

However, I do think it's important that you monitor his communication with others on the site. My kids have gotten very slightly inappropriate emails from cachers, but fortunately their accounts are all tied to my email, so I have full access to anything that is sent to them.

Go for it! Let him choose the coolest name he can come up with, and then he can log his own finds (or DNFs!).

After caching for a couple of years my 3 kids decided they wanted their own accounts. It was a lot of work to retroactively log all their finds, so I highly recommend your son be allowed to get his own account now, before his find count gets even higher!

However, I do think it's important that you monitor his communication with others on the site. My kids have gotten very slightly inappropriate emails from cachers, but fortunately their accounts are all tied to my email, so I have full access to anything that is sent to them.

Go for it! Let him choose the coolest name he can come up with, and then he can log his own finds (or DNFs!).

Ya he doesn't really get free reign on the internet anyway, he only uses it when we are around to keep an eye on him. Also we log into his email for him so that we can see what's in there first. Thanks for the tips....he signed up and is very excited. The name he chose was JrPirate

My 6 year old has her own account, she got it at the start of the year...then she made me backdate all her previous cache finds!

Now she writes the first log and I cut and paste them for her if we are doing a trail. She is just about to hit 1300 finds in 18 months of caching. My 1 year old is not getting his own account, he would be close to 3000 in 18 months and I am not backdating his finds!

My 6 year old has her own cache hides now, she writes her own cache pages and designs her own puzzles...she is hooked!