How many geocachers in the US?

chuckr30

Just wondering. I read a news article that said the newer 4G system for cell phones will actually interfere with the GPS system. So, how many geocachers are in the US today?

Geocachers, of course, only make up a small portion of GPS users today. Here are some stats on GPS users:

http://www.numberof.net/number-of-gps-users/

How many GPS users are there worldwide?

At least 45 million.

On March 16, 2009, market analyst firm Canalys reported 41 million standalone global positioning system (GPS) devices that were shipped worldwide in 2008. An Associated Press report appearing on CBS on January 21, 2010 states that in 2009, Canalys estimated global smartphone-based GPS usage at about 27 million. This places the world GPS user base at at least 68 million. The stated numbers only reflect consumer GPS usage, and do not include GPS users affiliated with government and scientific institutions.

This places the world GPS user base at at least 68 million. The stated numbers only reflect consumer GPS usage, and do not include GPS users affiliated with government and scientific institutions.

Compared to 3-4 million geocachers (the last number I heard) worldwide. I'm not sure if that counts the number of geocaching accounts on geocaching.com or only ones that are active by some definition.

About half the active geocaches in the world are in the US, but I suspect a much higher percentage of geocachers are Americans due to prevelance of GPS and smartphones here as compared to other countries.

Compared to 3-4 million geocachers (the last number I heard) worldwide. I'm not sure if that counts the number of geocaching accounts on geocaching.com or only ones that are active by some definition.

At the time they quoted that number there were only a touch over one million gc accounts. Someone from gs stated that they believed there were 3 to 4 cachers behind each account, a number that I've never believed.

If you randomly hit accounts, you'll easily see that 3 out of 4 accounts have never even been used, someone created an account, then never logged in again.

I personally believe that there are around 1/2 million active cachers at the most around the world.