Change Pocket Query from Scheduled to Immediate

mrcpu

I'm looking at my downloads and realizing that a single download of 500 waypoints is upwards of 800-900K. In other words, I get about 5 M of email from Geocaching.com daily! Do the math and that works out to around 1.5 to 2.0 GIG of bandwidth per user per year!!!!

I believe a better way to do handle this would be to allow users to have One or Two AUTO scheduled queries like we have now, and up to 5 MANUAL queries per day.

For most people, the AUTO scheduled query would be something like their local area. The MANUAL queries would actually go into a queue to be processed and emailed out but that queue would be processed on a 5 minute schedule.

When creating a MANUAL query it could be saved and selected as one of your AUTO queries in the future.

This would result in:

a) Better usability for the user. You can see your results within a few minutes, and not the next day, thereby making it easier to tweak.

;) The added work of manually running the query would reduce how often it was run, thereby saving resources.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I'm all for that! Too many times I've submitted a query, only to find I messed something up and have to wait until the next day to see if I got it fixed. Not a good thing if you need a quick query. Then, once I do get it right, I find myself leaving it "turned on" and get email/files that I don't need every day. I think your suggestion would be a Win-Win.

Another thought that comes to mind is to set it up so you get 5 queries a day. If you run queries manually they count against your query total.

For example, If I set up 5 queries to run nightly and during the day I ran one 4 times, only the first of my auto-queries would run that night.

I could then setup a query for my local area and leave it running every night and play with other queries, like places I plan to visit, up to 4 times a day.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command