Pet Peeves as Cache Owners

krymdog

Ugh, I was the victim of cut-and-paste logging today. I didn't think it bothered me, but it does.

I hid an interesting cache container on a gorgeous beach and I get the same log as a nano someone stuck to a park bench.

:mad:

For what it's worth... Interesting people write interesting logs. (You may read into that all that you want!) :ph34r:

people get lazy when they're logging from a phone in the field.

I have to disagree. I was a phoner for my first year. I always took the time to write a few sentences about each cache and if your cache impressed me or made me smile I took extra time to thank you with a good size log. If you take the time to put out a well thought out interesting cache in an interesting place you will be rewarded, But if you have a pill bottle in a guardrail and are expecting a fancy log...good luck,

While I commend you for your actions in field logging good cache reviews, I think you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm bettng that you would find that most TFTC only logs are sent from iPhones.

While a lot of TFTC logs may be from smart-phones, I believe that you will find similar numbers from non-phone cachers also. I think moreso that it is a combination of things that led to this phenomenon(?):

1) If the blame is on technology (and I don't think it is, really), one would also want to group field notes from GPSr units right along with the smart-phone blame. While it is true that one can edit those notes into a full log before posting same, I wonder how many do? One (mostly) singular key-stroke on ours drops in TFTC, TFTF, TFTH, or a number of other choices. WHAM! Done, they have their all-precious "find".

Our Delorme allows us (outside of field notes) to ingrain a "signature" (don't know if other makes do also) -- which some may very well use TFTC or some such thing. Either way, when the finds are uploaded, they're done. No fuss, no hassle, no nothing as far as a log goes. But what-the-hey, they just logged their find, what else matters (in their mind)?

2) Some simply don't care, or actually perceive that such a log could be considered as a slap to the CO, who had spent weeks/days/hours setting up the cache (not to mention maintenance).

3) Some simply were taught "that's how it's done". That is what they may well think a log is 'cuz that is the way they were shown how/what to do. Just wait until all those cachers discover that no written log is necessary at all now. Ho Boy!

4) A mind-set of today's society -- akin to that of self-gratification, the cache is "theirs" to grab (a smiley), the CO just doesn't quite fit into the this equation. They're not posting a log, just putting something down to show they logged it, period.

I know, most of this seems a bit negative. It wasn't intended as such, really. I do still see on our caches (and others -- yes, I watch many and check logs before we go out) some good logs and some GREAT logs. But the proliferation of simple TFTC is becoming rampant -- many don't even mention that they retrieved or dropped a trackable if they did. I just cannot lump it all up to smart-phone users.

That is really saying sumptin' too. I don't use, have or even want a smart phone (actually, I am somewhat negative about them). I feel the root problem is not the phone or technology at all, but in the users of the technology.

Would you like me to address the six-paragraph cut-n-paste log on each and every cache they do that day -- identical for 50+ caches -- the ones that say who they were with, where they came from, as they were passing through the area, what they had for lunch, etc. (nothing about the cache)? I didn't think so...

:lol::o:ph34r:

Would you like me to address the six-paragraph cut-n-paste log on each and every cache they do that day -- identical for 50+ caches -- the ones that say who they were with, where they came from, as they were passing through the area, what they had for lunch, etc. (nothing about the cache)? I didn't think so...

That's the other extreme. Really, do we need to know what they had for lunch? Not so much. :rolleyes:

Ugh, I was the victim of cut-and-paste logging today. I didn't think it bothered me, but it does.

I hid an interesting cache container on a gorgeous beach and I get the same log as a nano someone stuck to a park bench.

For what it's worth... Interesting people write interesting logs. (You may read into that all that you want!) :ph34r:

I have to disagree. I was a phoner for my first year. I always took the time to write a few sentences about each cache and if your cache impressed me or made me smile I took extra time to thank you with a good size log. If you take the time to put out a well thought out interesting cache in an interesting place you will be rewarded, But if you have a pill bottle in a guardrail and are expecting a fancy log...good luck,

While I commend you for your actions in field logging good cache reviews, I think you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm bettng that you would find that most TFTC only logs are sent from iPhones.

While a lot of TFTC logs may be from smart-phones, I believe that you will find similar numbers from non-phone cachers also. I think moreso that it is a combination of things that led to this phenomenon(?):

1) If the blame is on technology (and I don't think it is, really), one would also want to group field notes from GPSr units right along with the smart-phone blame. While it is true that one can edit those notes into a full log before posting same, I wonder how many do? One (mostly) singular key-stroke on ours drops in TFTC, TFTF, TFTH, or a number of other choices. WHAM! Done, they have their all-precious "find".

Our Delorme allows us (outside of field notes) to ingrain a "signature" (don't know if other makes do also) -- which some may very well use TFTC or some such thing. Either way, when the finds are uploaded, they're done. No fuss, no hassle, no nothing as far as a log goes. But what-the-hey, they just logged their find, what else matters (in their mind)?

2) Some simply don't care, or actually perceive that such a log could be considered as a slap to the CO, who had spent weeks/days/hours setting up the cache (not to mention maintenance).

3) Some simply were taught "that's how it's done". That is what they may well think a log is 'cuz that is the way they were shown how/what to do. Just wait until all those cachers discover that no written log is necessary at all now. Ho Boy!

4) A mind-set of today's society -- akin to that of self-gratification, the cache is "theirs" to grab (a smiley), the CO just doesn't quite fit into the this equation. They're not posting a log, just putting something down to show they logged it, period.

I know, most of this seems a bit negative. It wasn't intended as such, really. I do still see on our caches (and others -- yes, I watch many and check logs before we go out) some good logs and some GREAT logs. But the proliferation of simple TFTC is becoming rampant -- many don't even mention that they retrieved or dropped a trackable if they did. I just cannot lump it all up to smart-phone users.

That is really saying sumptin' too. I don't use, have or even want a smart phone (actually, I am somewhat negative about them). I feel the root problem is not the phone or technology at all, but in the users of the technology.

Very interesting. I could just blow off your whole post, and say "no, it's all smartphones". But I won't, there could be some (but I'll always believe a minority) coming from field notes on Delormes and higher end Garmins. I'll tell you what though, shortly after I got my smartphone app, one of the first things I did was drop a Tftc log from the field on a Geo-pal (as a joke, and I deleted it later that day, and typed a real log). Note how I typed "Tftc" with the T capitalized. That's how my phone did it, as it does when I text someone, capitalizes the first letter typed. I've seen boatloads of newbie logs just the same "Tftc". Unless someone can tell me a Delorme GPS capitalizes the first letter you type. :P

Yes, the Delorme does capitalize the first letter you type. But the field note section has the standard TFTC as a selection to add to your field note.

Edit spelling

Thanks, that was fast! Well then, how about ain't no n00b Tftc loggers going home to the computer. and hitting the shift key to capitalize the T in Tftc? :lol:

For those of us who've been around a long time, the smartphone revolution was not the first revolution. There was of course the "use your car GPS to find Geocaches" revolution. Except they were all forced to go home to a computer to log their finds, and did not suddenly, out of nowhere, drop hundreds of thousands of TFTC logs on us cache owners. :blink:

I had a Pet Peeve once, but I didn't feed it and eventually it went away.

I've found thats the best way to treat your Peeve's, Pet or otherwise.

This is great! :laughing:

For my real answer, being up to 110 placed now:

1. Mudbloods: people who set up accounts so they can find ammocans and steal them.

2. Blood Traitors: people who take travel bugs and don't log them so they disappear. I've stopped releasing them into the wild because of this.

3. People who assume that if they couldn't find the cache that it is missing and post notes to that affect (especially when they have less than 100 finds).

4. Cache finders who note that "your coordinates were off by 20 feet" (on a hillside in the forest).

5. I'm fine with TFTC. It is much better than the cut and paste drivel that is generic and says nothing about the cache in particular.

6. Those who think that they have a right to find the cache and I have an obligation to place it so they can find it easily.

I will admit I really like it when I've made a significant effort to place a worthwhile cache, and appreciation of the hide/views/hike is expressed.

Forgive the Harry Potter reference, but from geocaching standpoint I'm the heir of Slytherin :D

I've left a 'TFTC' log a couple of times. It's pretty much my way of saying 'Thanks for the magnetic hide on yet another guardrail in an unremarkable location'. I mean really... there's just some caches were there is just not much to say other than 'thanks'.

+1

+2

Why not just log:"thanks for the magnetic hide on yet another guardrail in an unremarkable location? Then log TFTC

+10,000,000

I don't think anyone has mentioned cachers leaving fluids in caches yet.

I checked on an old ammo can cache of mine yesterday, some nitwit left bubble fluid in it, which leaked, as you'd expect a cheap plastic bottle to do, left to the temperature changes in the outdoors.

The original log is moldy and ugly. The rest of the swag is too molded to salvage. Trash all of it.

The can interior rusted......I've got the log on the window sill drying out, but it's gonna want to mold now, just with the summer humidity. The can itself I'll replace. I may try to clean up the interior on the original, see how bad the rust in the corners is. This is the third ammo can cache of mine that has been ruined by fluid swag.

I've left a 'TFTC' log a couple of times. It's pretty much my way of saying 'Thanks for the magnetic hide on yet another guardrail in an unremarkable location'. I mean really... there's just some caches were there is just not much to say other than 'thanks'.

+1

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to simply not claim a find on those caches, since they were so lame?

my points are importent to me. Wether or not its a really creative cache.

This guy (cut and paste log king)

Yeah, since you're in such a hurry to increase your numbers and don't seem to know the difference between a crappy cache and a cache someone put alot of time and effort into, maybe we should just save you time and put out a power trail of film cans for you.

and

This guy (TFTC king)

You've been finding some great caches recently. Awesome locations, great swag, interesting container and all you have to say is "TFTC"?

If everybody did this, all the cache owners out there would just archive all their caches.

This (cut and paste log king)

Yeah, since you're in such a hurry to increase your numbers and don't seem to know the difference between a crappy cache and a cache someone put alot of time and effort into, maybe we should just save you time and put out a power trail of film cans for you.

and

This (TFTC king)

You've been finding some great caches recently. Awesome locations, great swag, interesting container and all you have to say is "TFTC"?

If everybody did this, all the cache owners out there would just archive all their caches.

My pet peeve is not following forum guidelines and calling out specific cachers for playing within the rules but not your way.

The link is in the upper right hand corner;

"3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated."

Edited by baloo&bd

This guy (cut and paste log king)

and

This guy (TFTC king)

I only looked at 3 logs from the "cut and paste king", and it was the same descriptive log of the day of caching (22 caches I believe), and one of the three had a sentence in particular about that cache. I don't think you'll find too many people who have a problem with this sort of logging.

The "TFTC king" on the other hand, typical smartphone logger. He has not hidden any caches himself in 3 years of caching, and I think you'll find zero hides themselves is overwhelmingly true of serial TFTC loggers, most especially ones with a few hundred or less finds. He certainly meets this criteria. There are thousands like him, unfortunately, all over North America. I can't speak for the rest of the world.

EDIT: Oops sorry Baloo, didn't see your post. Well, at least I gave an analysis. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

next time you think you have the right to park it in the passing lane going the speed limit, watch this video (may want to mute the audio)

Anywhoo, I hope people can figure out how to secure the lids on my caches properly and not leave them open. Too cold here in the frozen tundra to do anything now for a few months unless I order some alaskan winter gear. Thanks to reading this forum I have taken the candles and hand sanitizer out of the cache and will just use em at home. Don't want them leaking or melting, because we can get temperature extremes here.

I just couldn't help myself when someone posts about how they park it in the passing lane going the speed limit, I have to respond!

"This cop did the right thing. This cop is definitely doing his job. If you are a slow driver, stay to the right. You are clogging traffic. You are the problem. Get out of the way."

Edited by sholomar

TFTC (or Tftc) only logs and cut-and-paste logs are no different than a blank log. They say nothing. The devious thing about cut-and-paste logs is you think it's special until you read it again verbatim on the next log and then the next and so on. Pretty much spoils whatever was said. This is particularly true when a cacher has done a series of caches all by the same CO and leaves exactly the same log on each one. If the cacher changes a line to "customize" the log, they would have been better off just logging that line and leaving the rest off or better yet, just cut-and-paste TFTC and save the bandwidth. It will mean the same thing anyway.

I just couldn't help myself when someone posts about how they park it in the passing lane going the speed limit, I have to respond!

"This cop did the right thing. This cop is definitely doing his job. If you are a slow driver, stay to the right. You are clogging traffic. You are the problem. Get out of the way."

How dare people go the speed limit! Yes, this cop did the right thing. He should definately tell people off for not speeding!

1) Interesting multi (3 favorite points)

In from Ladysmih for a day of caching, WOW, the malahat was some snow storm at 0600 hours this morning but made it through!!! Managed to pick up 22 caches in the Victoria area. All the caches were in good shape and dry. As it started to snow about 1330 hours, I headed home but the rest of the Island was snow free..TFTC...Paulboy

2) Puzzle cache

In from Ladysmih for a day of caching, WOW, the malahat was some snow storm at 0600 hours this morning but made it through!!! Managed to pick up 22 caches in the Victoria area. All the caches were in good shape and dry. As it started to snow about 1330 hours, I headed home but the rest of the Island was snow free..TFTC...Paulboy

3) Unique puzzle

In from Ladysmih for a day of caching, WOW, the malahat was some snow storm at 0600 hours this morning but made it through!!! Managed to pick up 22 caches in the Victoria area. Figured htis one out a little while ago with minor help!!All the caches were in good shape and dry. As it started to snow about 1330 hours, I headed home but the rest of the Island was snow free..TFTC...Paulboy

4) Another puzzle

In from Ladysmih for a day of caching, WOW, the malahat was some snow storm at 0600 hours this morning but made it through!!! Managed to pick up 22 caches in the Victoria area. Figured this one a while back and though I would give it a try today..All the caches were in good shape and dry. As it started to snow about 1330 hours, I headed home but the rest of the Island was snow free..TFTC...Paulboy

5) Traditional hidden by someone known for his tough hides (4 favorite points)

6) Very nicely done night-cache in a beautiful area (7 favorite points)

In from Ladysmih for a day of caching, WOW, the malahat was some snow storm at 0600 hours this morning but made it through!!! Did this cache before it got to light out..Managed to pick up 22 caches in the Victoria area. All the caches were in good shape and dry. As it started to snow about 1330 hours, I headed home but the rest of the Island was snow free..TFTC...Paulboy

7)Historic traditional, recently adopted

8) Traditional, on the edge of a cliff

Edited by TheLonelyPeasant

1) Interesting multi (3 favorite points)

I just quoted one, because that's all we need. :lol: And didn't you hear Baloo, you're not supposed to name him. :o

Some may not agree with me, but if you're going to cut and paste 22 logs, at least tell the general story of the day like that. I've seen (and received) a lot worse.

And it's even more dangerous to try and block those who wish to exceed the limit.

Moving over to let them pass is less likely to cause an accident than forcing them to pass on the right.

Let them go, it's not your job to enforce the speed limit.

I call bs on this one - I'm within my right and the law to obey the speed limit. I'm not getting out of your way just because you don't want to obey the law. If you want to try something stupid like passing me on the right then more power to you. Don't like it? Leave earlier!

And it's even more dangerous to try and block those who wish to exceed the limit.

Moving over to let them pass is less likely to cause an accident than forcing them to pass on the right.

I call bs on this one - I'm within my right and the law to obey the speed limit. I'm not getting out of your way just because you don't want to obey the law. If you want to try something stupid like passing me on the right then more power to you. Don't like it? Leave earlier!

100px-R4-3.gif

I'm not sure about your country but in mine the law is that on multilane highways slower moving traffic must move right when being overtaken by faster moving traffic. You can even be ticketed for not moving over.

100px-R4-3.gif

I'm not sure about your country but in mine the law is that on multilane highways slower moving traffic must move right when being overtaken by faster moving traffic. You can even be ticketed for not moving over.

Same here unless you are driving in an illegal manner (i.e. speeding) while trying to overtake.

next time you think you have the right to park it in the passing lane going the speed limit, watch this video (may want to mute the audio)

So a video about a cop being an a-hole is supposed to make me change my mind about obeying the law? Think again...

No the cop did the WRONG thing - which was harass a person obeying the law. If that was me I'd be fighting that ticket in court and the newspapers would be hearing about the jerk that wrote me up!

A "slow" driver is supposed to be someone going less than the speed limit - if you are burning up the road racing down the highway and weaving in and out of traffic maby you should be on a race track instead of out in the public.

Same here unless you are driving in an illegal manner (i.e. speeding) while trying to overtake.

This /\

There has been a serous crack down on speeding here. Hasn't deterred the speeders much but 10k (that would be roughly 5 miles for you Americans) gets you a minimum $95.00 fine. 11k to 19k (roughly 10 miles) gets you a minimum $200.00 fine. There used to be a "go with the flow of traffic" attitude being taught at driving schools but that has changed to "go the speed limit regardless of what others are doing".

Speed limits are posted for a reason. No amount of discussion or debate will ever change my mind or my opinion of people that think its "ok" to disobey the law.

OT: My pet peeve is when CO's use crappy containers (like pill bottles that even close to water tight) and then get all crappy about the sandwich bag going missing (not that I've ever taken one but there is one particular CO in my area that Ps and Ms about all the work she has to do all the time to her caches - few of which are in water tight containers in the first place).

Edited by zack_black

I've never had my speedometer calibrated. It wouldn't feel right if I was sitting in the fast lane not allowing others to get by and I wasn't sure my speedometer was 100% accurate.

There has been a serous crack down on speeding here. Hasn't deterred the speeders much but 10k (that would be roughly 5 miles for you Americans) gets you a minimum $95.00 fine. 11k to 19k (roughly 10 miles) gets you a minimum $200.00 fine. There used to be a "go with the flow of traffic" attitude being taught at driving schools but that has changed to "go the speed limit regardless of what others are doing".

Speed limits are posted for a reason. No amount of discussion or debate will ever change my mind or my opinion of people that think its "ok" to disobey the law.

Your estimations are about 1MPH too slow.

OT: My pet peeve is when CO's use crappy containers (like pill bottles that even close to water tight) and then get all crappy about the sandwich bag going missing (not that I've ever taken one but there is one particular CO in my area that Ps and Ms about all the work she has to do all the time to her caches - few of which are in water tight containers in the first place).

Your not quite back on topic. This topic isn't about pet peeves from the geocacher point of view. The OP is asking for pet peeves from the CO point of view. One of my pet peeves is having my cache repaired without asking especially when it didn't need repaired.

r42aleftlaneforpassingo.jpg

By me, we have some signs like this, in addition to the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs. So, if you're not passing anybody, get the hell out of the left lane.

Passing on the right is unsafe. I don't do it and I hate when people do it to me. That's why, even if I'm doing 20 over and passing traffic, I'll still move to the right when someone comes flying up behind me. Sure, go ahead, pass me. What do I care? I don't have some kind of super-ego. I don't need to be the fastest person on the road. I don't see the need to force people on the road to travel at the same speed as, or slower than, me. I'm not law enforcement. I'm not out there to make sure people obey the law. I'm out there so I can get to point B.

I'm not going to make an unsafe situation even more unsafe by forcing someone to pass on the right.

EDIT:

Just pulled this from the NY law books:

( B ) In addition, upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

So if traffic all around you is doing a normal speed of 80mph, and you're putting around at the 55mph speed limit, guess where you need to be... Yup, the right lane. Not doing so could land you a "disrupting the flow of traffic" ticket, or whatever they call it here.

Edited by Mitragorz

Three pages on this thread is just too much to read.

There are a few things that irk my caching experience with my hides, but I've learned to accept it and just go with the flow.

But what really gets under my skin is when cachers give the final coordinates for a long hard multi to their friends, and thus the

friend doesn't really earn the smiley. So I've changed the final on some of my multis over time and then the logs that they couldn't find it. And I ask for the final coordinates, and then when they give me the coords. I tell them that the cache has been re-worked and that is not the current final.

Pet Peeve for my single cache:

I wish more people found it, but its at least a 2 mile walk. And in L.A. thats unheard of!

Passing on the right is unsafe. I don't do it and I hate when people do it to me. That's why, even if I'm doing 20 over and passing traffic, I'll still move to the right when someone comes flying up behind me. Sure, go ahead, pass me. What do I care? I don't have some kind of super-ego. I don't need to be the fastest person on the road. I don't see the need to force people on the road to travel at the same speed as, or slower than, me. I'm not law enforcement. I'm not out there to make sure people obey the law. I'm out there so I can get to point B.

I'm not going to make an unsafe situation even more unsafe by forcing someone to pass on the right.

I really wish there were more people on the road like you. And less people who feel the need to slow others down because of their ego, or some power trip. They create an unsafe road that I don't want to drive on.

We have one local cacher who seems intent on ruining the fun for everyone after him via 2 things, the first is already listed and is just being lazy:

#1 Not returning cache to same place. - I swear he signs the log in his car and just throws the cache in the general direction once he is done.

The second one I have yet to see listed yet:

#2 Posting obvious hints in the logs, on my last Difficulty 4 Cache I finally just deleted his log because of the obvious hint that made a Dif 4 into a Dif 1.5. Yes you found it, your signature on the log proves it, you don't need to give a huge hint to prove it.

He also posts Notes on Caches announcing he tends to go looking for it at some point... like we really care. And he also refuses to post a DNF, if he can't find it and has to say something he will post a NOTE!

A lot of problems I see coming up are due to Cachers who feel entitled to get a smiley for going out to the GZ... I have many caches that took me 4 or 5 trys to find, often a year latter because I had new experiences and skills to help me. These people feel if they took the time to get off the couch they earned the smiley even if it is a 5/5 and they only got within half a mile!

I call bs on this one

I'm within my right and the law to obey the speed limit.

yup. It's your "right" to create a traffic hazard... :unsure:

Just keep putt-puttin' along in the left lane... :rolleyes:

So a video about a cop being an a-hole is supposed to make me change my mind about obeying the law?

Nope. Saving lives is supposed make you change your mind about being the snail amongst the rabbits.

But naturally, that would require some degree of empathy... :rolleyes:

No the cop did the WRONG thing - which was harass a person obeying the law.

The cop did the RIGHT thing - which was educating an obliviot in the hopes of saving lives.

If that was me I'd be fighting that ticket in court and the newspapers would be hearing about the jerk that wrote me up!

The papers would giggle at you, and the Judge would find you guilty.

And you'd probably continue to endanger people by putt-putting down the road in the left lane.

After all, it's your "right"... :rolleyes:

A "slow" driver is supposed to be someone going less than the speed limit

Trivia question time: Imagine 50 cars travelling a section of interstate at 65 MPH.

For the purpose of this question, assume the posted speed limit is 60 MPH.

Insert one driver into the mix, in the left most lane, who insists on traveling 60 MPH.

Which car is creating the greatest hazard? :unsure:

Ahhh, my pet peeve: zack_black

How do you know the person trying to pass you is not rushing to the hospital or rushing home due to an emergency, what gives you the right to judge anyones action when it could possibly be a matter of life and death, if someone wants to pass you get your a** out of the way because unless you know why you may just be responsible for someones death.

People are either ignorant in which case they shouldn't be driving or just being a**es in which case they shouldn't be out in public.

Edited by Roman!

Ahhh, my pet peeve: zack_black

How do you know the person trying to pass you is not rushing to the hospital or rushing home due to an emergency, what gives you the right to judge anyones action when it could possibly be a matter of life and death, if someone wants to pass you get your a** out of the way because unless you know why you may just be responsible for someones death.

People are either ignorant in which case they shouldn't be driving or just being a**es in which case they shouldn't be out in public.

Just for the record my friend was driving on a freeway at 11 pm coming from a movie with his 6 yr. old daughter when she started choking on a candy. The hospital was 5k away, he came upon 2 cars going the speed limit blocking both lanes side by side, he flashed his light, honked but neither budged. He finally rammed the car in in the left lane and it moved over. He made it and his daughter was OK but got a visit by the police, they did nothing after he explained the situation but he found out who the driver was and from then it got ugly. Had he moved over all of it would have been avoided.

A friend of my wife's found out her mother was dying and she had to catch a ferry to get to the hospital, she got blocked out by drivers like you, missed the ferry and her mother passed away before she got there, so excuse me if I think you are an a** but I do have my reasons.

I am sorry for your loss, but I am not clear how it applies to cache owner pet peeves.

Wait a sec. I think I can stretch this to cover the topic. If you are the type of cacher who logs a DNF on any cache that you intended to find that day even if you don't get very near the cache area then "road hazards" on the way to a cache can be a caching pet peeve.

I own over 170 geocaches in two states. For the most part, it's been an awesome experience. However, I've developed a couple of pet peeves in regards to my fellow cachers. Here they are. Feel free to either flame away or post your own cache-owner pet peeves.

- Cachers blatantly trading down on swag. I'd like to think that we ALL know it's about the find itself, not the goodies you get in the container, but that's clearly not the case. I had this one called "The World Bank," which was supposed to hold foreign currency only (plain as day on the cache description). It started out with a bunch of Korean Won, Afghan Afghani, Iraqi Denari, etc. I unfortunately had to archive it because the area was getting clear-cut. When I went to pull the cache, know what I found in it? Rocks. It was STUFFED with rocks . . . not even SHINY ones . . . with nary a foreign bill or coin around. Someone had obviously rationalized, "Well, I'm swapping something, so it's O.K." Because geocaching is secretive by nature, we like to think that all our fellow geocachers are somehow imbued with higher morals than the average bear. Not always the case. It's for this reason that I don't put swag in my caches, anymore.

- Cachers who merely post "TFTC" on their logs. I put these things out there because I get a kick out of reading the stories behind the finds, etc. Even if you're getting a bunch of caches in one location at a time, just briefly tell the story behind the find, then use copy/paste. I've even gotten "TFTC" on First to Finds! Incredibly maddening.

Your turn.

Was the foreign currancy cache a members only? Limiting that cache to members could have made a difference. Also placing it where it's least apt to be found by muggles.

I seem to be getting a lot more TFTC logs. Now I'm wondering if it's because they are logging from a phone. Hmm.

I seem to be getting a lot more TFTC logs. Now I'm wondering if it's because they are logging from a phone. Hmm.

Partly, but I think mostly because n00bs see it so much they think it's the 'right' thing to do, no mater how much of an adventure they had finding the cache.

I say both. We have two cachers here that do that on every cache.

The first is new and that's all he posts. He never posts a note or a DNF or anything.

The other has been cache for a few years now. He will post TFTC with his phone from the field and then edit the log when he gets home.

I'm glad to see the both found my caches but it's nice to have a little feedback. My cache could need major repair and all I would get is the TFTC. :blink:

I've had a problem with a throwdown cacher here of late. I have one cache. One particular cacher has been to the site twice. Both times they have claimed the cache was gone and placed a flim can in it's place. Both times their film can was in plain site. The last time it was within 3 or feet of the cache. Both times I have deleted the find and informed them that the cache was still there.

The reply I got back last time was, "Well if it's still there, why can't I find it?"

It didn't have the heart to reply what I was thinking.

i own two caches and my biggest peeves are trade-downs and just plain junk that turns up in caches.

why would you put an eye contacts container in a cache? seriously? i have also found things like tobacco product wrappers *insert random companies coupon that expired ages ago*

and my favorite thing i ever found in a geocache? (sarcasm) A BOWL! are you kidding me? this is a game people take there children to play and you leave paraphernalia in a game piece?!?!

(end rant)

update: would like to add that i hate "tftc" logs as well that is all.

Edited by hippietwinkie

i own two caches and my biggest peeves are trade-downs and just plain junk that turns up in caches.

why would you put an eye contacts container in a cache? seriously? i have also found things like tobacco product wrappers *insert random companies coupon that expired ages ago*

and my favorite thing i ever found in a geocache? (sarcasm) A BOWL! are you kidding me? this is a game people take there children to play and you leave paraphernalia in a game piece?!?!

(end rant)

update: would like to add that i hate "tftc" logs as well that is all.

If it was a new contact lens container I would consider trading for it as I will tend to lose those.