Pet Peeves as Cache Owners

krymdog

If the cache needs maintenance do a maintenance log please. If you have a lot of hides and its a nice day and get lets say 300 emails I don't always read them all right away but if I see a DID NOT FIND or NEEDS maintenance I immediately open. I had a find log say that there was a needle at the cache site but I didn't see for two days had it been a NEEDS MAINTENANCE I would have immediately disabled and took care of the needle.

When I first started GC, the site wouldnt let you log on a disabled site. Guess that changed, but dont see why.

Been caching quite a few years, but don't recall the site not allowing a log on a disabled cache.

A virtual cache is obviously a bit different, but if a cache gets disabled due to a few DNFs, there is nothing preventing someone from searching and actually finding it...and therefore they should log it!

I've actually been honked at while going the speed limit. Clearly some people missed that day in math class where they went over maximums and minimums.

At the risk of a derail..

In the left lane? Because most states have a Slow Traffic Keep Right law. Even if those around you are speeding, it is illegal to block TRAFFIC in the left lane. You'd get a honk from me too, or worse :laughing:

They do have a Slow Traffic Keep Right guideline, which means that if you are going to go significantly below the speed limit, you need to go in the right lane, but the speed limit is the maximum allowable speed in any lane. If you honk at me for going 55 in a 55 zone because you want to go 75, expect at least some mild silent ill-wishing. (Along the lines of "I hope you can't find a parking spot at your destination and have to go around the block several times.

Edit: part of a thought left out before.

+1 SPEEDING IS ILLEGAL AND DANGEROUS!!

I've actually been honked at while going the speed limit. Clearly some people missed that day in math class where they went over maximums and minimums.

In the left lane? Because most states have a Slow Traffic Keep Right law. Even if those around you are speeding, it is illegal to block TRAFFIC in the left lane. You'd get a honk from me too, or worse :laughing:

They do have a Slow Traffic Keep Right guideline, which means that if you are going to go significantly below the speed limit, you need to go in the right lane, but the speed limit is the maximum allowable speed in any lane. If you honk at me for going 55 in a 55 zone because you want to go 75, expect at least some mild silent ill-wishing. (Along the lines of "I hope you can't find a parking spot at your destination and have to go around the block several times.

And it's even more dangerous to try and block those who wish to exceed the limit.

Moving over to let them pass is less likely to cause an accident than forcing them to pass on the right.

Let them go, it's not your job to enforce the speed limit.

There are several aspects of this game that I don't enjoy, and as such, don't participate in, but for peeves, I guess there's only one that bothers me enough to rate a "pet" designation: Acronyms as logs. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against a few TFTCs or TNLNSLs tossed into an otherwise well written, lengthy log. But seeing an acronym as all there is really twists my knickers. It probably shouldn't bother me, but there ya go. In my ever degrading gray matter, "TFTC" translates directly to "Your Cache Sucks". Again, I probably shouldn't make such a translation, but that's what happens way down deep betwixt my ears.

This isn't just a peeve for cache owners - it annoys me as a cache finder, it might be sad but I like to see what other people thought of some of the better caches before AND after I have found it, when you open up the page just to see TFTC its rubbish - for example 4 new mystery caches published nearby today, not entirely straight forward by the looks of the descriptions, in an area I need to re-visit to get the bonus of a series, great I thought I can get them at the same time, I put them on my watch list to see what others might say before I have the chance to visit. Get a notification of a find - TFTC! - thats it - NO! I want to know if they are good, interesting, hard, clever, worth making the trip this week end or wait till another day - to be fair though they didn't seem excited by the FTF either though! I can't believe the cache was really so bad they can't think of anything else to say, but then I guess they aren't there to help feed my needs.

9 you're fine, 10 you're mine.

There are several aspects of this game that I don't enjoy, and as such, don't participate in, but for peeves, I guess there's only one that bothers me enough to rate a "pet" designation: Acronyms as logs. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against a few TFTCs or TNLNSLs tossed into an otherwise well written, lengthy log. But seeing an acronym as all there is really twists my knickers. It probably shouldn't bother me, but there ya go. In my ever degrading gray matter, "TFTC" translates directly to "Your Cache Sucks". Again, I probably shouldn't make such a translation, but that's what happens way down deep betwixt my ears.

This isn't just a peeve for cache owners - it annoys me as a cache finder, it might be sad but I like to see what other people thought of some of the better caches before AND after I have found it, when you open up the page just to see TFTC its rubbish - for example 4 new mystery caches published nearby today, not entirely straight forward by the looks of the descriptions, in an area I need to re-visit to get the bonus of a series, great I thought I can get them at the same time, I put them on my watch list to see what others might say before I have the chance to visit. Get a notification of a find - TFTC! - thats it - NO! I want to know if they are good, interesting, hard, clever, worth making the trip this week end or wait till another day - to be fair though they didn't seem excited by the FTF either though! I can't believe the cache was really so bad they can't think of anything else to say, but then I guess they aren't there to help feed my needs.

To be fair, a short log on a FTF may just be a placeholder. That's what I do when I get a FTF, immediately submit a found it log via smartphone, then write up the experience later. That way, others can know they don't need to hurry for the FTF. I do, however, state in my placeholder log that details will be coming soon.

I hate those cachers that drive in the carpool lane going 2 MPH less than the speed limit with their toddler in their car seat as the only other occupant of the car just because it's "legal".

Does it only bother you if they are cachers? :huh:

No, But I was trying to stay OT... :ph34r:

LOL! Yeah, kind of like those "Any Geocachers That Have a Tatoo That Says, 'MOM'?" threads, huh?

Yeah, you know like the cachers that take more than 10 items in the express line at the grocery store. Those cachers drive me nuts too... :laughing:

That bug me the most as a CO, I was out checking one of my caches today and yep, it was where I didnt put it. :blink: It sure drive me nut since I replaced it once before.

Since it was moved, and you had to search for it, can you log it as a find? :)

MULLY

That been debated to death. Nobody will stop you from logging your own caches but they will back stabbing you when you arent following their "way" of caching. :blink:

Went out yesetrday with a buddy who was going to do some maintenance. After a particular cache had been in place for more than a year and with 50+ 'found' logs and one DNF he received a found log where the cacher stated:

Found it but coordinates were more than 120' off. Moved and re-hid cache closer to coordinates.

Buddy was confused since this was an ammo can secured with a chain.

Turns out the previous cacher DID move it... after sawing through the downed tree it was attached to. Took us about 40 minutes to find were they had moved the box, chain and all, about 90' away from GZ.

Pretty funny.

As soon as you think you have made a fool-proof cache, along comes a even more foolish cacher.

somehow I'm offended. :D

To be fair, a short log on a FTF may just be a placeholder. That's what I do when I get a FTF, immediately submit a found it log via smartphone, then write up the experience later. That way, others can know they don't need to hurry for the FTF. I do, however, state in my placeholder log that details will be coming soon.

Yeah and that is exactly what they did :rolleyes: I am just too impatient.

I think I joined in 2003 or close. I had found a virtual, but by the time I got around to logging onto GC a week later, the cache had been disabled. I had sent my ans & it was correct. I dont log FINDS until I get confirmation I had right ans. So I fig Id log it anyway, since the cache was up when it was found. When I clicked on log it, I got a pop up box saying that the owner had temp disabled the cache & to try back later. I cant rem now if I ever went back to log it. I dont get on computer ea day so some of my finds never got logged even though my name is in the cache log book.

Thankfully now with smart phones its easier, but it may be why some people make short entries.

You have a good point about getting credit anyway, but I disabled the cache bc about 90% of so called "finds" were wrong answers, not just a "few DNFs". If they were logged as DNFs I wouldnt have had an issue. Later I fig out my "hint" was giving people "tunnel vision". You know, the old I see only what I wanna see. LOL My description said a SMALL plaque. They would get close to coords, see this HUGE plaque in the distance and send me that info which was wrong.

I guess another Pet peeve is Rude Attitudes, and those that cannot accept a DNF.

When I first started GC, the site wouldnt let you log on a disabled site. Guess that changed, but dont see why.

Been caching quite a few years, but don't recall the site not allowing a log on a disabled cache.

A virtual cache is obviously a bit different, but if a cache gets disabled due to a few DNFs, there is nothing preventing someone from searching and actually finding it...and therefore they should log it!

If the cache needs maintenance do a maintenance log please. If you have a lot of hides and its a nice day and get lets say 300 emails I don't always read them all right away but if I see a DID NOT FIND or NEEDS maintenance I immediately open. I had a find log say that there was a needle at the cache site but I didn't see for two days had it been a NEEDS MAINTENANCE I would have immediately disabled and took care of the needle.

I usually try to check my needs maintenance (or have one of my maintainers)caches. But newbies I give it some more time, because mostly I find they were still there. But recently some veteran cachers went to one of mine and DNFd it. After their second attempt they logged a DNF then an Archive Request. WHOA! I drove out there and before I got 20ft from GZ I could see the cache right where I left it, in plain sight. I posted a note saying it was there and they sent me a message asking me if I really checked. I ended up having someone else confirm that it was still there.

Edited by jellis

My pet peeve is the ever increasing incidence of PaF or "Phone a Friend" - the "hey I'm at this cache and I can't find it so please tell me where it is since you found it already." AND some of them are not content with a hint - they just want to know where it is. Then why are you in this game? Maybe it's just me but I do enjoy the hunt and I log LOTS of DNFs. It's a testimony (in most cases) to the CO that they have successfully done a very cool hide and to just tell folks where it is or what the container is - well what's the point?

I totally agree with this. As a new cacher, I accept there is a learning curve in the game. As you find more and more difficult caches you learn how to search better. In my area, there are experience teams that share cache info with each other, which is a shock to me. You have over 2-6k in finds yet you are calling others to go out with you or to basically tell you where it is. I accept the fact there may be caches that I might not find for a while, until I obtain more experience. I log the DNF, and move on, eventually coming back. People are way hung up on numbers and % of DNFs. It's only a game.

Edited by Russ!

Went out yesetrday with a buddy who was going to do some maintenance. After a particular cache had been in place for more than a year and with 50+ 'found' logs and one DNF he received a found log where the cacher stated:

Found it but coordinates were more than 120' off. Moved and re-hid cache closer to coordinates.

Buddy was confused since this was an ammo can secured with a chain.

Turns out the previous cacher DID move it... after sawing through the downed tree it was attached to. Took us about 40 minutes to find were they had moved the box, chain and all, about 90' away from GZ.

Pretty funny.

As soon as you think you have made a fool-proof cache, along comes a even more foolish cacher.

i'm guessing this wasn't a cacher but a muggler. a "funny man" with too much time on his hands

THIS TOPIC should be pinned, and listed as "suggested" reading for ALL.

i had no idea what things might disappoint a CO.

i've written A LOT of TFTCs, my justification being "too much time with this caching hobby bugs my wife".

well........after reading this topic you'll see a lot less TFTCs.

GREAT TOPIC

Not in any particular order:

1) Log books that are much too big for the container.

2) People with lower-case y or j in their name and who sign it so big it takes two lines

3) People who don't mention there is something wrong with the cache, such as a ripped or non-sealing baggie.

If i know that ahead of time, i (non-CO)can make sure i bring extras so i can fix it

4) containers that are not even close to waterproof

5) people who in their logs indicate having cached at night, even though the park clearly closes at sunset

It's the armchair geocachers that have our Goat. We've done a series where there were 30 caches and the previous logger to ours NEVER actually signed the log. It seems as though he checked what previous cachers logged on the GC'g site and BS'd his own version of the find, only very short and sweet. "easy, good hide TFTC". On our own series of 15 caches in a 2 mi stretch, he's logged them as found and after checking all the logs, NOT A SINGLE SIGNATURE on the log sheet. We just did 6 caches in a park, 5 of which were recently found by this same person on the GC'g site but NO SIGNATURE on the log sheet again. This individual has THOUSANDS of finds, but are they REAL??????. Route 66 series, in southern CA has 800 caches and this was done by this same individual. Did he even leave NY.???????

It's the armchair geocachers that have our Goat. We've done a series where there were 30 caches and the previous logger to ours NEVER actually signed the log. It seems as though he checked what previous cachers logged on the GC'g site and BS'd his own version of the find, only very short and sweet. "easy, good hide TFTC". On our own series of 15 caches in a 2 mi stretch, he's logged them as found and after checking all the logs, NOT A SINGLE SIGNATURE on the log sheet. We just did 6 caches in a park, 5 of which were recently found by this same person on the GC'g site but NO SIGNATURE on the log sheet again. This individual has THOUSANDS of finds, but are they REAL??????. Route 66 series, in southern CA has 800 caches and this was done by this same individual. Did he even leave NY.???????

Probably not. Route 66 is harder to prove but you have proof on yours and if you wanted to can take it to Groundspeak.

But remember it is only and game with no winners or losers, and they are only cheating themselves.

Probably not. Route 66 is harder to prove but you have proof on yours and if you wanted to can take it to Groundspeak.

But remember it is only and game with no winners or losers, and they are only cheating themselves.

Not entirely. An armchair logger recently "found" a cache with 4DNFs since April on a cache with a spoiler photo showing what and where. I visited two weeks later only to confirm that the cache was missing, and was baffled by the find entry, until I looked at the profile. 49 finds on the day of registration, nothing since, one word posts "found" on all caches except for the diff 4 multi, which they logged as "easy" (only 2 other finds in a year in inner London!). I shall be interested to visit a few and check the logs, but this has caused me confusion and I'm sure it will be unhelpful to others.

Had to put my .02 on this. I am fairly new but try to put in more than just TFTC in a log. I like to state where I was going when I came across the cache, comment on the great scenery, or what the weather was like when I found it, etc. This kind of makes it more interesting I think to read for the CO, or do you guys just say, get to the point, already! :D:lol:

I have only hidden about 6 but am starting to prefer for my own hides, the small tin containers big enough for small items, and I put inside of them a strong magnet to really secure them down. I am pretty sure, mine are really easy P&G's but am just learning.

**** The most important thing for me however, is reading WHAT ticks you guys off... I know I have already seen enough "bad hides" to know what is a sure !!FAIL!! and will allow me to avoid that myself. Thanks for helping out a newfie

I've left a 'TFTC' log a couple of times. It's pretty much my way of saying 'Thanks for the magnetic hide on yet another guardrail in an unremarkable location'. I mean really... there's just some caches were there is just not much to say other than 'thanks'.

+1

Uh Ohh, (seeing a similarity in my hides) Maybe I can stop the madness right now while I am still new??? :blink:

I usually try to check my needs maintenance (or have one of my maintainers)caches. But newbies I give it some more time, because mostly I find they were still there. But recently some veteran cachers went to one of mine and DNFd it. After their second attempt they logged a DNF then an Archive Request. WHOA! I drove out there and before I got 20ft from GZ I could see the cache right where I left it, in plain sight. I posted a note saying it was there and they sent me a message asking me if I really checked. I ended up having someone else confirm that it was still there.

I understand what you are saying there. A cacher that I help maintain his caches (he has about 600) and we did a maintenance run last week and of the 20 caches that were "gone" all but 3 were there. But almost all had been moved or adjusted and no longer fit the clue etc so they did need some sort of maintenance mind you most of them were because of multiple DNF's only two had needs maintenance and both did...... But you probably agree a NEEDS Maintenance log stands out above the rest.

I dont own any caches yet only got a little over 50 finds, still new to the game. I am one of the dreaded phone cachers and use my android to cache. I also cache with friends and almost never go alone (never know what may happen and having others there is always good). I log alot of TFTC logs but due to the fact i am on my phone (geocaching ap has no spell check and its difficult to type long descriptions on the phone, also one of my friends tends to put a description of the day in our finds. Do you really need to read that our group was caching that day and we found your cache and the scenery or hide was fun or tricky from all 4 of us? i tend to say i was with the group and allow someone who will be in front of a computer to log the info.

I will say that reading this thread has given me a bit more of insight on the game. Will be putting more info into logs. I always log DNF and Maintanence if it needs it as common sense told me from the begining that these are the only ways owners will be able to remedy the situation.

Thanks for the info all it has been educational for sure.

Happy Caching

Do you really need to read that our group was caching that day and we found your cache and the scenery or hide was fun or tricky from all 4 of us?

Hi Clan Gedinn, I can't speak for the masses, but I can certainly answer your question with the caveat that my response reflects only my personal preferences; When asked, "What kind of caches do you prefer?", my answer invariably revolves around those caches that tend to generate longer than average logs. This is true for both the caches I hunt and the caches I hide. It's been my experience that those caches which offer the greatest adventure, seem to generate the longest logs. Because of this bias, I tend to mentally translate "TFTC" into "Your Cache Really Sucked". I recognize that the fault is mine, as this is an indication that I don't have my entitlements in check, but since you asked, I figured you'd want an honest reply. On caches that were so spectacular that they made it to my Watchlist, when I see a "TFTC" only log, it is not uncommon for me to post a note inquiring why the seeker thought the cache was so crappy as to only rate a "TFTC".

Many cachers appreciate when a seeker puts at least a smidgen of effort into their logs.

It's kind of a payoff for the effort we put into our hides.

I occasionally cache with my iPad, using the Groundspeak app, or my wife's 'Droid, using another app which shall remain nameless. On these hunts, I mark the caches I've found in the app, adding any relevant notes, then, when I get home, in front of a real keyboard, I will review my finds and commence typing. I can't say that your "TFTC" logging method is wrong, as, according to Jeremy even blank logs are OK, but I will say you will please a large percentage of cachers if you share your journeys with us, using more than acronyms.

I will have to admit on two series in Portland, Oregon I did not sign the logs. I only did this because of log space and CO was with me on most of them. I was out on a maintenance run with him. I hadn't found them so I found them (while he laughed sometimes) and then we moved on. If it was one of the needs maintenance ones (ie new log missing). I always found first or if didn't he made me go to the next one and come back to find. So I had no problem not logging on the paper at that point to save the micro's log space. I don't know if that will be a problem for others though. I also didn't log them on same day because I logged when I actually did them. Anyone think I should have wrote on log anyway? Just curious ... I wouldn't do this on someone else's cache though.

Lets face it folks, specialty swag will not be traded equaly for. I challenge anyone on these forums to right now find some foreign currency or a CD in their swag bag right now. It would take planning ahead to go find these special caches, then going to find them with the right kind of swag to trade. Are cache owners expecting to much by starting their cache with "high quality swag". Well yes they are. Swag will degrade. That is a fact we have established here on the forum. So don't waste you time on special themed cache swag. Some plastic beads and dinosaurs will keep most kids happy.

Otherwise I would rather have someone find my cache then skip it because they did not have the right swag to trade.

...pet peeves.

- Cachers blatantly trading down on swag. I'd like to think that we ALL know it's about the find itself, not the goodies you get in the container, but that's clearly not the case. I had this one called "The World Bank," which was supposed to hold foreign currency only (plain as day on the cache description). It started out with a bunch of Korean Won, Afghan Afghani, Iraqi Denari, etc...

I have a red box movie exchange, and a Columbia house CD exchange. It blatantly states, take a movie give a movie, and take a cd give a cd, but a couple days ago, i was checking on them and there is all this mctoy junk. I know, it just the nature of the beast but these caches are about a month or two old is all. I will just keep an eye out on them, and if they keeping getting too bad i will archive them. I will let everyone know that on my cache listing as well. that is pretty much my only issue.

My pet peeve is the ever increasing incidence of PaF or "Phone a Friend" - the "hey I'm at this cache and I can't find it so please tell me where it is since you found it already." AND some of them are not content with a hint - they just want to know where it is. Then why are you in this game? Maybe it's just me but I do enjoy the hunt and I log LOTS of DNFs. It's a testimony (in most cases) to the CO that they have successfully done a very cool hide and to just tell folks where it is or what the container is - well what's the point?

I totally agree with this. As a new cacher, I accept there is a learning curve in the game. As you find more and more difficult caches you learn how to search better. In my area, there are experience teams that share cache info with each other, which is a shock to me. You have over 2-6k in finds yet you are calling others to go out with you or to basically tell you where it is. I accept the fact there may be caches that I might not find for a while, until I obtain more experience. I log the DNF, and move on, eventually coming back. People are way hung up on numbers and % of DNFs. It's only a game.

y

I like this for the fact that when I started, I had no idea what to look for. I had to search online for what a "common hide" was because I got tired of reading qpng tftc. I was getting frustrated in the middle of parking lots where there couldn't possibly be a cache and a hint that says "geocaching 101." There is no guide book that tells you what to look for on an urban hide particularly. Then I came across those lamp post hides. I was stunned. I could then find every lamp post hide, but when I would come to an area where there was a lamp post and no cache under it, I would get confused. By accident, I found my first nano on a bench. That opened up a whole new cache type and I was able to go back and find several that I had DNF'd. That sort of progression always leads me back to hides that I DNF'd before and I am typically able to close that one out. Its all about learning different types of hides that are typical of different areas. I now recognize good places to hide caches, and its not uncommon for me to walk up to a cache without a gps search, just knowing that there has to be a cache there. Its also frustrating for me to find a guard or lamp post nano with a hollowed out tree 15 feet away. I always think "Thats a wasted hiding spot."

Question (sub-topic): With regards to "trading down". Is it okay to trade two one-dollar items for a two-dollar item?

It's not often that we come across this situation, in fact we are usually just adding stuff to caches that are sparse already. But in the event that we miraculously come across some prime swag (like a new bottle of bug spray or a watch that actually works), would it be acceptable to leave a number of lower-valued items that add up to the value of the one item taken?

Yes. You got it right.

Ugh, I was the victim of cut-and-paste logging today. I didn't think it bothered me, but it does.

I hid an interesting cache container on a gorgeous beach and I get the same log as a nano someone stuck to a park bench.

:mad:

For what it's worth... Interesting people write interesting logs. (You may read into that all that you want!) :ph34r:

+1 OMG, LOL ;)

"We had a fun day today. MAN was it pouring ! Lucky we had our raingear. Thanks for putting a hide here. #9 of 32."

Oh, you're so very welcome. I put hides out just so you can find them in pouring rain. Now me and the rest of the COs you hit can further serve you by heading out the next nice day and fix the 32 hides you've ruined. But I sure am glad you had raingear.

"We had a fun day today. MAN was it pouring ! Lucky we had our raingear. Thanks for putting a hide here. #9 of 32."

Oh, you're so very welcome. I put hides out just so you can find them in pouring rain. Now me and the rest of the COs you hit can further serve you by heading out the next nice day and fix the 32 hides you've ruined. But I sure am glad you had raingear.

Really? :blink:

Did you put a 'DO NOT FIND MY CACHE IN THE RAIN' attribute?

I always ensure that any cache found in the rain is opened with dried hands, under cover, with great care not to get the log wet.

Ugh, I was the victim of cut-and-paste logging today. I didn't think it bothered me, but it does.

I hid an interesting cache container on a gorgeous beach and I get the same log as a nano someone stuck to a park bench.

For what it's worth... Interesting people write interesting logs. (You may read into that all that you want!) :ph34r:

people get lazy when they're logging from a phone in the field.

I've gone caching in the pouring rain too. It is possible though to keep the caches dry. A big umbrella works wonders as does taking the cache into the car for the sign.

Having said that, we get alot of rain in our area and I do come across caches that have clearly been opened in the rain. It's sad that people are so disrespectful. Found one recently, brand new cache, new swag, last cacher before me stated in the log they cached in the pouring rain and yep the cache had water in it, the CO had to come and do maintenance.

In this age of phone caching - GET USED TO IT! The only partial solution I know is to place caches where the phone does not work.

Fixed that for you. :)

While it does add to the "problem", phone-caching is not the culprit. The problem is the cacher, not the equipment.

Did you put a 'DO NOT FIND MY CACHE IN THE RAIN' attribute?

I always ensure that any cache found in the rain is opened with dried hands, under cover, with great care not to get the log wet.

Speaking from experience I can say not everyone is so careful.

It's a pita to have to go out and dry out all your ammo cans because someone needed a cache fix in a downpour.

I have to disagree. I was a phoner for my first year. I always took the time to write a few sentences about each cache and if your cache impressed me or made me smile I took extra time to thank you with a good size log. If you take the time to put out a well thought out interesting cache in an interesting place you will be rewarded, But if you have a pill bottle in a guardrail and are expecting a fancy log...good luck,

I have to disagree. I was a phoner for my first year. I always took the time to write a few sentences about each cache and if your cache impressed me or made me smile I took extra time to thank you with a good size log. If you take the time to put out a well thought out interesting cache in an interesting place you will be rewarded, But if you have a pill bottle in a guardrail and are expecting a fancy log...good luck,

While I commend you for your actions in field logging good cache reviews, I think you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm bettng that you would find that most TFTC only logs are sent from iPhones.

In this age of phone caching - GET USED TO IT! The only solution I know is to place caches where the phone does not work.

I'm new to this smartphone revolution thing (about 2 months), and it will never be my primary GPSr, but you CAN download them into the thing for later use, rather than going on the internet to find the nearest ones. I assume the GPSr still works (probably not as well) without a cell phone signal.

You got a point there. put 'em where they can't thumb out a TFTC from the field. Of course they might just go home and thumb out TFTC from their couch. :P