Pet Peeves as Cache Owners

krymdog

Question (sub-topic): With regards to "trading down". Is it okay to trade two one-dollar items for a two-dollar item?

It's not often that we come across this situation, in fact we are usually just adding stuff to caches that are sparse already. But in the event that we miraculously come across some prime swag (like a new bottle of bug spray or a watch that actually works), would it be acceptable to leave a number of lower-valued items that add up to the value of the one item taken?

Question (sub-topic): With regards to "trading down". Is it okay to trade two one-dollar items for a two-dollar item?

It's not often that we come across this situation, in fact we are usually just adding stuff to caches that are sparse already. But in the event that we miraculously come across some prime swag (like a new bottle of bug spray or a watch that actually works), would it be acceptable to leave a number of lower-valued items that add up to the value of the one item taken?

For me personally, I don't see a problem. We have so many issues regarding people who take things and leave nothing at all. I'd feel greatful that you've at least left something of value. :)

Seriously NO - that is one of the main ways cache swag turns to junk after a while. Think about it!

1. copy paste logs

2. throw downs

3. "I hid it better"

4. cache maggots

What is up with those?! We ran across two throw downs, today. They were done by an 8000 find cacher too! On one we never found the real container. 4 star difficulty so pretty certain the container we found quite easily was not correct (also it didn't match description). Logged as a DNF and mentioned the throw down. In the same area, we found throw down first, then the real cache and took our pic with it. What's odder is that the guy doing this had two new hides put out at the same trails. Neither one contained a logbook (FTF's said they put down logbooks), but both of his throw downs had logbooks. So strange. Maybe senility or something.

Edited by TheBearPack

I'm certain these have already been brought up:

#1 Cache not returned/re-hidden in the correct location.

#2 Blank logs.

#3 50-100 complaint-free logs, and suddenly someone feels the need to say the co-ordinates are 'off'.

Probably #2 and #3 should be reversed, since it has been a while since I received a blank log on one of my caches. OTOH, those I did receive really frosted my cookies. :anibad:

#2 Blank logs.

#3 50-100 complaint-free logs, and suddenly someone feels the need to say the co-ordinates are 'off'.

Probably #2 and #3 should be reversed, since it has been a while since I received a blank log on one of my caches. OTOH, those I did receive really frosted my cookies. :anibad:

Couldn't #3 be because of #1?

1. copy paste logs

2. throw downs

3. "I hid it better"

4. cache maggots

What is up with those?! We ran across two throw downs, today. They were done by an 8000 find cacher too! On one we never found the real container. 4 star difficulty so pretty certain the container we found quite easily was not correct (also it didn't match description). Logged as a DNF and mentioned the throw down. In the same area, we found throw down first, then the real cache and took our pic with it. What's odder is that the guy doing this had two new hides put out at the same trails. Neither one contained a logbook (FTF's said they put down logbooks), but both of his throw downs had logbooks. So strange. Maybe senility or something.

lol...... I sent him a friendly hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in email with the link to that cache. Sorry! You all are rubbing off on me.

#2 Blank logs.

#1 is one of the biggest for us. Have not received a blank log yet out of 888 logs. On three most will see that there is no problem because of the 50-100 clean ones.

Seen that blank logs has been mentioned. What about NO online log? Recently did maintenance on one of ours and noticed that it was about 50/50 written log to online log ratio. It's understandable that people get busy and don't log for awhile. It's beyond that though, and it's pretty clear they are never going to log it online. Heck, we would take a TFTC in stride! Lucky for us we get over such things quickly.

Seen that blank logs has been mentioned. What about NO online log? Recently did maintenance on one of ours and noticed that it was about 50/50 written log to online log ratio. It's understandable that people get busy and don't log for awhile. It's beyond that though, and it's pretty clear they are never going to log it online. Heck, we would take a TFTC in stride! Lucky for us we get over such things quickly.

some poeple don't post their finds online for a lot of different reasons. That is one thing I would not let get to you since there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

some poeple don't post their finds online for a lot of different reasons. That is one thing I would not let get to you since there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Agreed and agreed. Still can be a pet peeve though. ;)

Edited by DudStreet

When I visit Seattle from Ontario, I bring several trackables with me to clock on mileage and to leave in caches. Why do they ALL disappear? What's with that?

Unfortunately that has been a problem in this area. There is one particular cacher who was grabbing and keeping all of the trackables they came across. I believe that an agreement of some kind was eventually reached between that cacher and GS.

When I visit Seattle from Ontario, I bring several trackables with me to clock on mileage and to leave in caches. Why do they ALL disappear? What's with that?

Unfortunately that has been a problem in this area. There is one particular cacher who was grabbing and keeping all of the trackables they came across. I believe that an agreement of some kind was eventually reached between that cacher and GS.

Yes but the person in question is still way behind in logging the trackables they have taken and is still actively taking ones they come across out of caches. I recently saw a back dated trackable drop by this person that was over a year old and so they are still a year behind on thier logs. If you've had a trackable come to the Seattle area and it has gone missing, it will probably be at least a year from the date of the last log on the trackable before it will come out again. The good news is that it will eventually be released, it's just a matter of when...

lol...... I sent him a friendly hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in email with the link to that cache. Sorry! You all are rubbing off on me.

LOL. Love it! They do seem to enjoy geocaching. I'm sure they are honestly just clueless. Someone else poked fun of the Hmmmm part of their cache name with a photo of an engine that was out in the middle of the trails. Heheh. Hmmm an engine.

Not replacing the cache as found. One reason why we don't hide really creative hides anymore. Too much time involved in building caches for someone not to replace it as found. Some caches need to be placed back just right for other cachers to have fun as the CO intended. The main reason why we would go for FTFs, to find the cache as the COs placed them.

With over 160 hides, my top 3 are as follows.

1) Containers not put back where I hid them

2) Stickers instead of signatures- Especially on Micro Logs, Please take the time to sign your name or initials.

3) Complaints about the difficulty of some of my caches, Like this one "Hi! I'm taking a find on this cache, as being 70 years old, I should not have to climb this tree to sign the log, it's too dangerous"

1)During a recent event I held, (over 220 attended) I checked all my caches before and after the event, I bet I had to re-hide 30 percent of the containers to the proper location.

2) While checking my caches after the event, I found a lot of stickers, most on sideways taking up 4-6 signature spots.

3) I replied to this log with this. "Hi!, I'm deleting your find on (name of cache), as being a hider of over 150 caches, I rate my Terrains and Difficulties accurately. You are correct, You DO NOT have to climb a tree at 70 years old, but if you want to claim a find on this cache you will have to.

If you find a cache is too hard, or dangerous in your opinion to complete, then Don't do it, walk on by.

What irritates me the most is when we have gone to a bit of effort to do a really cool hide and the finders can not even replace the cache the same way it was hidden, or they don't bother to even rehide it.

John

1. Nothing aggravates me more than finding one of my caches in plain sight, or in the wrong place. I go to great lengths to hide my caches well. On my last maintenance run, someone had marked one of my caches with a foil balloon!

2. Leaving their personal card/swag in my cache- So & So cacher found this cache.

3. People complaining that there isn't a trail to some of my caches. Do we really want to be led directly to the cache?

4. In the last year, people have complained that my terrain rating is too low. No complaints in the previous 7 years!

5. Not logging trackables.

Honestly, #1 happens so often that I am considering taking my caches down.

Yeti

Here is our pet peeve, we have a number of caches and on occasion we do check on them, just to make sure everything is still there and logs are dry, ziplock baggies in good shape etc. Also checking if the person actually signed the log that they said they found and NOT finding their NAME on the log at all. We have a whole series (15) and we just checked 4 of them today and sure enough the person did not sign the cache log but logged it in as found. The same person seemed to have done the same on another series, on a bike trail (The Gauntlet). Just riding by the cache doesn't mean you found it. (just to rack up the numbers)

What irritates me the most is when we have gone to a bit of effort to do a really cool hide and the finders can not even replace the cache the same way it was hidden, or they don't bother to even rehide it.

John

1. Nothing aggravates me more than finding one of my caches in plain sight, or in the wrong place. I go to great lengths to hide my caches well. On my last maintenance run, someone had marked one of my caches with a foil balloon!

2. Leaving their personal card/swag in my cache- So & So cacher found this cache.

3. People complaining that there isn't a trail to some of my caches. Do we really want to be led directly to the cache?

4. In the last year, people have complained that my terrain rating is too low. No complaints in the previous 7 years!

5. Not logging trackables.

Honestly, #1 happens so often that I am considering taking my caches down.

Yeti

I think I have an answer to #1 - I am working on an idea, will report back if it works.

Huh. I thought CO's generally didn't have a problem with cachers putting things like their trademarks and pathtags in a cache.... or am I missing something?

In any case, my story:

Went out yesetrday with a buddy who was going to do some maintenance. After a particular cache had been in place for more than a year and with 50+ 'found' logs and one DNF he received a found log where the cacher stated:

Found it but coordinates were more than 120' off. Moved and re-hid cache closer to coordinates.

Buddy was confused since this was an ammo can secured with a chain.

Turns out the previous cacher DID move it... after sawing through the downed tree it was attached to. Took us about 40 minutes to find were they had moved the box, chain and all, about 90' away from GZ.

Huh. I thought CO's generally didn't have a problem with cachers putting things like their trademarks and pathtags in a cache.... or am I missing something?

In any case, my story:

Went out yesetrday with a buddy who was going to do some maintenance. After a particular cache had been in place for more than a year and with 50+ 'found' logs and one DNF he received a found log where the cacher stated:

Found it but coordinates were more than 120' off. Moved and re-hid cache closer to coordinates.

Turns out the previous cacher DID move it... after sawing through the downed tree it was attached to. Took us about 40 minutes to find were they had moved the box, chain and all, about 90' away from GZ.

Pictures or it did not happen....... 8-)

In any case, my story:

OUTRAGEOUS! I CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE WOULD DO SOMETHING SO DESPICABLE! THAT PERSON SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT AND SH....

Oh, I'll just wait for those pics before I get too outraged. <_<

My pet peeve is the ever increasing incidence of PaF or "Phone a Friend" - the "hey I'm at this cache and I can't find it so please tell me where it is since you found it already." AND some of them are not content with a hint - they just want to know where it is. Then why are you in this game? Maybe it's just me but I do enjoy the hunt and I log LOTS of DNFs. It's a testimony (in most cases) to the CO that they have successfully done a very cool hide and to just tell folks where it is or what the container is - well what's the point?

I've had to log online becuase I couldn't get the log out of the nano before. But otherwise we always try to log something specfic to the cache itself. I/we haven't hid ours yet, we're getting ready to & I want to put them where I'll be able to check on them at least weekly, but as soon as someone says they couldn't find or something's wrong. There are some down here that there are multiple DNFs on & needs maintenance tags, but no evidence that owner has checked on it in a long time. That business of "it was missing, so I put a replacement out, hope the co doesn't mind" would tick me off, yes, I mind, maybe you just didn't find it. And those "I put it back where it was supposed to be" logs...it was zip-tied to a tree, it was exactly where it was supposed to be. (or chained to a tree!)

Pretty funny.

As soon as you think you have made a fool-proof cache, along comes a even more foolish cacher.

I hate those cachers that drive in the carpool lane going 2 MPH less than the speed limit with their toddler in their car seat as the only other occupant of the car just because it's "legal".

What speed should they be going? :blink:

I've actually been honked at while going the speed limit. Clearly some people missed that day in math class where they went over maximums and minimums.

I've actually been honked at while going the speed limit. Clearly some people missed that day in math class where they went over maximums and minimums.

At the risk of a derail..

In the left lane? Because most states have a Slow Traffic Keep Right law. Even if those around you are speeding, it is illegal to block TRAFFIC in the left lane. You'd get a honk from me too, or worse :laughing:

I have a red box movie exchange, and a Columbia house CD exchange. It blatantly states, take a movie give a movie, and take a cd give a cd, but a couple days ago, i was checking on them and there is all this mctoy junk. I know, it just the nature of the beast but these caches are about a month or two old is all. I will just keep an eye out on them, and if they keeping getting too bad i will archive them. I will let everyone know that on my cache listing as well. that is pretty much my only issue.

At the risk of a derail..

In the left lane? Because most states have a Slow Traffic Keep Right law. Even if those around you are speeding, it is illegal to block TRAFFIC in the left lane. You'd get a honk from me too, or worse :laughing:

They do have a Slow Traffic Keep Right guideline, which means that if you are going to go significantly below the speed limit, you need to go in the right lane, but the speed limit is the maximum allowable speed in any lane. If you honk at me for going 55 in a 55 zone because you want to go 75, expect at least some mild silent ill-wishing. (Along the lines of "I hope you can't find a parking spot at your destination and have to go around the block several times.

Edit: part of a thought left out before.

Edited by Sivartius

I can't stand all of those cachers out there blindly going about their business performing all of these peevish behaviors and never bothering to read the forum threads so that they know what effects they are having on all of us in here. :mad:

Nah, I appreciate them more..it gives us something to croak about. Otherwise we'd all be milling about in the OT forum. That's no fun. :D

I hate those cachers that drive in the carpool lane going 2 MPH less than the speed limit with their toddler in their car seat as the only other occupant of the car just because it's "legal".

Does it only bother you if they are cachers? :huh:

No, But I was trying to stay OT... :ph34r:

LOL! Yeah, kind of like those "Any Geocachers That Have a Tatoo That Says, 'MOM'?" threads, huh?

There are several aspects of this game that I don't enjoy, and as such, don't participate in, but for peeves, I guess there's only one that bothers me enough to rate a "pet" designation: Acronyms as logs. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against a few TFTCs or TNLNSLs tossed into an otherwise well written, lengthy log. But seeing an acronym as all there is really twists my knickers. It probably shouldn't bother me, but there ya go. In my ever degrading gray matter, "TFTC" translates directly to "Your Cache Sucks". Again, I probably shouldn't make such a translation, but that's what happens way down deep betwixt my ears.

In my ever degrading gray matter, "TFTC" translates directly to "Your Cache Sucks". Again, I probably shouldn't make such a translation, but that's what happens way down deep betwixt my ears.

I know several cachers that post those types of logs only for caches that they feel exactly that way about... :shocked:

Another oft used passive aggressive technique, "Cute Puzzle" means, I think it's stupid.

My pet peeve is the ever increasing incidence of PaF or "Phone a Friend" - the "hey I'm at this cache and I can't find it so please tell me where it is since you found it already." AND some of them are not content with a hint - they just want to know where it is. Then why are you in this game? Maybe it's just me but I do enjoy the hunt and I log LOTS of DNFs. It's a testimony (in most cases) to the CO that they have successfully done a very cool hide and to just tell folks where it is or what the container is - well what's the point?

Yep. PAF (punk axx find) is our #1. It has become a way of life around here.

I only own 1 cache. Its a virtual, and I will NOT ever do another bc of all the nastiness from cachers.

My Pet peeve is people that log a find online, then dont email me the req info.. Then I get those that log a find, get the wrong ans., but keep the find. When I ask them to delete, or delete it myself, I get very nasty replies. Im often told, "its just a game" or "you take the game too seriously". NO, its just that Im an adult & I understand the concept of rules. If GC has too many rules for you to follow, then find a new hobby. I also notice that the complainers are generally people with big find numbers. It makes me wonder how many are REAL finds. (Im NOT suggesting that all big find numbers are dishonest)

Those that log finds when the cache is in Disabled status.

I had my virtual disabled pending moving to a better location, as it was getting way to many wrong answers. Even after I told one person he coulnt get credit for a disabled cache, he logged it anyway. Then to top it off the ans was wrong, and he still didnt delete the log. WTH? Yep he had high find numbers.

When I first started GC, the site wouldnt let you log on a disabled site. Guess that changed, but dont see why.

People who take the gallon size zip lock that the log book was in and then leave the lid ajar so the log gets damp and falls apart. Why would someone want to take the zip lock? Oh right, they needed something to hold all the swag they took in exchange for a sticker.

Also irritates me when someone logs that they had to take multiple items so they would have room to stuff their huge travel bug into the cache. Really? If youre gonna move bugs with stuffed animals attached to them, have the courtesy to find a cache that does have room rather than making room for it.