Pet Peeves as Cache Owners

krymdog

I own over 170 geocaches in two states. For the most part, it's been an awesome experience. However, I've developed a couple of pet peeves in regards to my fellow cachers. Here they are. Feel free to either flame away or post your own cache-owner pet peeves.

- Cachers blatantly trading down on swag. I'd like to think that we ALL know it's about the find itself, not the goodies you get in the container, but that's clearly not the case. I had this one called "The World Bank," which was supposed to hold foreign currency only (plain as day on the cache description). It started out with a bunch of Korean Won, Afghan Afghani, Iraqi Denari, etc. I unfortunately had to archive it because the area was getting clear-cut. When I went to pull the cache, know what I found in it? Rocks. It was STUFFED with rocks . . . not even SHINY ones . . . with nary a foreign bill or coin around. Someone had obviously rationalized, "Well, I'm swapping something, so it's O.K." Because geocaching is secretive by nature, we like to think that all our fellow geocachers are somehow imbued with higher morals than the average bear. Not always the case. It's for this reason that I don't put swag in my caches, anymore.

- Cachers who merely post "TFTC" on their logs. I put these things out there because I get a kick out of reading the stories behind the finds, etc. Even if you're getting a bunch of caches in one location at a time, just briefly tell the story behind the find, then use copy/paste. I've even gotten "TFTC" on First to Finds! Incredibly maddening.

Your turn.

I own over 170 geocaches in two states. For the most part, it's been an awesome experience. However, I've developed a couple of pet peeves in regards to my fellow cachers. Here they are. Feel free to either flame away or post your own cache-owner pet peeves.

- Cachers blatantly trading down on swag. I'd like to think that we ALL know it's about the find itself, not the goodies you get in the container, but that's clearly not the case. I had this one called "The World Bank," which was supposed to hold foreign currency only (plain as day on the cache description). It started out with a bunch of Korean Won, Afghan Afghani, Iraqi Denari, etc. I unfortunately had to archive it because the area was getting clear-cut. When I went to pull the cache, know what I found in it? Rocks. It was STUFFED with rocks . . . not even SHINY ones . . . with nary a foreign bill or coin around. Someone had obviously rationalized, "Well, I'm swapping something, so it's O.K." Because geocaching is secretive by nature, we like to think that all our fellow geocachers are somehow imbued with higher morals than the average bear. Not always the case. It's for this reason that I don't put swag in my caches, anymore.

- Cachers who merely post "TFTC" on their logs. I put these things out there because I get a kick out of reading the stories behind the finds, etc. Even if you're getting a bunch of caches in one location at a time, just briefly tell the story behind the find, then use copy/paste. I've even gotten "TFTC" on First to Finds! Incredibly maddening.

Your turn.

My turn? I don't need one. I noticed "trading down" on about my 3rd cache find in 2003. It's a fact of life, and you're never going to change it.

"TFTC" logs? A new "smartphone log the caches from the field" phenomenon. My observations, from my local area, are that: 1) I can count the number of "TFTC" loggers who have hidden a cache on one hand. 2) I might need two hands, but not my toes, to count the number of "TFTC" loggers who have attended a Geocaching event. And 3) When I look at a "TFTC" log a year from now, the poster probably will not have found a cache, or logged into the website in 9 months. That gives me hope. :ph34r:

I would rather have TFTC logs than blank ones. TFTC can mean a lot of things to me. There are a few bad apples in the area who pretend like you do not exist if they do not like you and say blank logs than acknowledge you exist. I cant do that myself in kind, it just seems mean...but those make me wonder if its worth it sometimes to deal with folks who are so mean spirited. I suppose any hobby will have such folks so I do not think drastic thoughts.

and we have a number of folks who sign TFTC and have many hides. I think its mainly folks who are doing their kid's accounts or folks who are just way behind and logging as fast as they can.

Edited by lamoracke

I have a lot of Pet Peeves but my number one is not loggin bugs out of caches, whether they are being stolen or just because the user is new. The first trackbale I got was on my 4th cache find and when I took it, I made darn sure I knew what to do with it. Sure I had some hiccups along the way but at least the effort was there. It seems like most new cachers don't bother to figure out how the game works after hearing the cool human interest story on the 6 o'clock news...

Edited by FobesMan

I have a cache that is titled "Bison Tube" and talks about Bison Tubes in the description. The actual hide is a plastic bison with a hole drilled in it to fit a preform. Recently someone "Replaced" it when they couldn't find it. I might have been ok with this if:

1. The cache was missing. It was in place when I checked.
  2. They had used the type of container named in the title of the cache rather than the Airborne container that they did use.

So, that's my peeve: Drops on non-missing caches.

People who replace the cache container where they would have hidden it, not where the CO originally put it. I once found one that was about 40 feet away. It didn't gradually migrate there, as it was on one of the legs of a power line tower, and the legs were that far apart.

Edited by PokerLuck

I've left a 'TFTC' log a couple of times. It's pretty much my way of saying 'Thanks for the magnetic hide on yet another guardrail in an unremarkable location'. I mean really... there's just some caches were there is just not much to say other than 'thanks'.

+1

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to simply not claim a find on those caches, since they were so lame?

I've left a 'TFTC' log a couple of times. It's pretty much my way of saying 'Thanks for the magnetic hide on yet another guardrail in an unremarkable location'. I mean really... there's just some caches were there is just not much to say other than 'thanks'.

+1

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to simply not claim a find on those caches, since they were so lame?

+1. Hey, lets have a +1 battle. :P

+1

+1. Hey, lets have a +1 battle. :P

+1 (this one is up 3 to 2)

Mine is when people DON'T log a DNF or even write a note when they don't find my cache. How am I (as a responsible CO) and other cachers supposed to know that one of my hides might be gone unless it gets reported?

All of my hides are there for you to find. I don't want people walking away with a DNF. If something is wrong I will usually get out within a few days to check up on things.

I don't believe so. I think the 'TFTC' log at the very least lets the cache owner know the cache is still there and in relatively decent shape.... especially if the cache hasn't been logged in a while.

I'll also log DNF's for the same reason (and I seem to be doing that a lot lately). CO's can't know there might be a problem if those DNF's don't start popping up.

Mine is when people DON'T log a DNF or even write a note when they don't find my cache. How am I (as a responsible CO) and other cachers supposed to know that one of my hides might be gone unless it gets reported?

I've always made periodic maintenance runs on my caches, but DNFs are good for letting you know sooner.

+1

+2

Why not just log:"thanks for the magnetic hide on yet another guardrail in an unremarkable location? Then log TFTC

What irritates me the most is when we have gone to a bit of effort to do a really cool hide and the finders can not even replace the cache the same way it was hidden, or they don't bother to even rehide it.

John

That bug me the most as a CO, I was out checking one of my caches today and yep, it was where I didnt put it. :blink: It sure drive me nut since I replaced it once before.

What irritates me the most is when we have gone to a bit of effort to do a really cool hide and the finders can not even replace the cache the same way it was hidden, or they don't bother to even rehide it.

John

That bug me the most as a CO, I was out checking one of my caches today and yep, it was where I didnt put it. :blink: It sure drive me nut since I replaced it once before.

DITTO

Just give me a blank log. All I wanna know that you found my cache. Why I need to know what you are doing when u found it. :ph34r: There are people out there that just share too much information. :laughing:

I can't agree with this one.....but if I find your caches, I will leave a SL-TFTC...but that is more than some folks leave. I blame it on the smart phone folks...I will admit it is hard to type a real log from my android..so I don't try....I log later from my laptop in my hotel room.

I;ve just started to read these because I have a few pet peeves. Most were discussed but one that wasn't. Logs, multipage, partially filled out, especially if folded both sideways and up and down. Many caches refold them back to the original folds. I hope to find logs with the next blank spot for my signature staring at me. They don't need refolded to the original, leave it how you find it.

I do not take anything from the cache. For me I just enjoy getting out as I am retired. It keeps me somewhat on the move.

Same here! I am 65 years old and retired I now hike for a lot of caches for good old exercise. I bike now and then as well. I do not take anything from caches except TB to pass on. And, I do pass them on. I feel guilty if I hang on to them too long. :)