Common Cache Courtesy

paintblr

ok guys story for you all which will make a good discussion on some rules i think. I'm very picky about my caches i deploy especially with maint and location i like to make them accessable for everyone to enjoy. So i stick on back in nice wide path in a small patch of woods that is not private. So people are going out getting it and loving the homemade container (Foam pumpkin container). This one person goes out finds it logs it all is well and wonders off course by some private property way up the line from it. takes a picture and logs it with there find on the page!!!!!!

reason i have a problem with this : This person has 1800 caches roughly which does not make them a geo-god in no sense. I would personally if i seen a sign that alarmed me anywhere i would email the CO and ask them about it and them explain its not on private property. not post there log with a giant picture of the sign to deter people from the cache with no reasoning.

what i did: well this burned me up for 2 weeks because i felt they did not take the proper steps. I went in and erased the log because it seriously made me look like an idiot. i guess they then lost credit for the cache. well they email why did i erased there log i explained nicely you should have contacted me not posted a picture like that on the log. i told them to relog it there log without the picture and next time you have a question about one of my caches please email me and i will get back immediately since i have a smart phone. well they never relogged and there behavior toward the cache made me get a sour taste for the cache so i archieved it.

Once again i feel if you have a problem with someones cache or location please message them before doing something this stupid in a log even if you have a billion caches it does make you a god

Just as there is etiquette for situations as you describe, there is also etiquette with handling these things when they happen. In that 2 week period while you were stewing, you could have emailed the finder and requested that they remove the picture since the proper approach and the cache are on public property and/or you have permission for the cache to be there.

I'm sure the way you handled it left a sour taste in the finder's mouth as well.

If I were you, I would have only deleted the photo. I would have left the log alone. However, I would have posted a note on the log that stated that the location of the cache was not in fact on private property...and explain why.

For example: (The trail to the cache is on public property, do not access the cache by coming down from the north..etc.)

Just my .02

If I were you, I would have only deleted the photo. I would have left the log alone. However, I would have posted a note on the log that stated that the location of the cache was not in fact on private property...and explain why.

For example: (The trail to the cache is on public property, do not access the cache by coming down from the north..etc.)

Just my .02

How do you delete just a picture? You don't. It's the whole log or nothing.

ok guys story for you all which will make a good discussion on some rules i think. I'm very picky about my caches i deploy especially with maint and location i like to make them accessable for everyone to enjoy. So i stick on back in nice wide path in a small patch of woods that is not private. So people are going out getting it and loving the homemade container (Foam pumpkin container). This one person goes out finds it logs it all is well and wonders off course by some private property way up the line from it. takes a picture and logs it with there find on the page!!!!!!

reason i have a problem with this : This person has 1800 caches roughly which does not make them a geo-god in no sense. I would personally if i seen a sign that alarmed me anywhere i would email the CO and ask them about it and them explain its not on private property. not post there log with a giant picture of the sign to deter people from the cache with no reasoning.

what i did: well this burned me up for 2 weeks because i felt they did not take the proper steps. I went in and erased the log because it seriously made me look like an idiot. i guess they then lost credit for the cache. well they email why did i erased there log i explained nicely you should have contacted me not posted a picture like that on the log. i told them to relog it there log without the picture and next time you have a question about one of my caches please email me and i will get back immediately since i have a smart phone. well they never relogged and there behavior toward the cache made me get a sour taste for the cache so i archieved it.

Once again i feel if you have a problem with someones cache or location please message them before doing something this stupid in a log even if you have a billion caches it does make you a god

your absolutely right. Stuff like that should not be in the log, just a friendly TFTC. Stuff like that belongs in the email sent to the reviewer.

i did leave a note that it was not on private property , i didnt know u could just delete the picture hmmm anyway you should I still feel this could all been avoided by a simple email. is all im saying there is no reason to post a picture like that none at all. this person is notorious in our area for posting stupid comments with out asking questions, but say it was private property so it would be ok for that person to post the picture and take credit for tresspassing lets turn this the other way lol

Edited by paintblr

your absolutely right. Stuff like that should not be in the log, just a friendly TFTC. Stuff like that belongs in the email sent to the reviewer.

:laughing:

I see an over-reaction on both sides.

It is possible the finder approached the cache from a direction (that the hider didn't intend) that was via 'PRIVATE PROPERTY'.

If the hider has included instructions to approach from one particular direction in order to AVOID THE PRIVATE PROPERTY, then I would agree that the finder was out-of-line.

If the hider only ASSUMES everyone will just somehow know how to approach the cache and avoid the PRIVATE PROPERTY, then the finder has a valid point in posting the log they did.

In any case, deleting a valid 'Found It' log is inappropriate.

Just my .02

Maybe photo deletion was included in the recent update?

It has been asked for often enough...

well requardless the damage is done on both side they should have emailed me and i should not of deleted the log but the damage is done and i archieved it lesson learned from this experiance its all u can take i guess sometimes u need learning lessons even if its for both sides

Edited by paintblr

well requardless the damage is done on both side they should have emailed me and i should not of deleted the log but the damage is done and i archieved it lesson learned from this experiance its all u can take i guess sometimes u need learning lessons even if its for both sides

A little punctuation wouldn't hurt either. :)

Anyway, those hard learned lessons will tend to stick with you...I've certainly had my share.

Just my .02

Maybe photo deletion was included in the recent update?

It has been asked for often enough...

I'm not sure but aren't those mutually exclusive?

Just my .02

Really? Ok. I've never had to delete a log. My bad. Forget my advice...it was born in ignorance. :rolleyes:

My advice on posting a note stands though. If one person made the mistake of finding a no trespassing sign that gives them concern...others will also.

Edited by wildchld97

yes a note asking a question not a big picture saying its on private property when its not

I'm not talking about the person who posted the log. What they did was bogus.

YOU however should post a note explaining about the no tresspassing signs...and WHY it's safe to ignore them IF the finder is approaching in the correct direction.

they should have emailed me

If you have a problem with the log then why not show the same courtesy that you expect of everyone else? Email the finder, discuss the log, then take action from there. Likely there was a misunderstanding, I'm sure that after you explain your part of the story the finder would have removed the offending picture. If there was truly an issue then you would have the opportunity to fix the problem.

dont assume things till u ask

Did you ask the finder what the issue might be before deleting their find, or did you assume that you are 100% right? Maybe the finder did run into an issue with private property. Unfortunately there have been instances where caches have been hidden on public property and someone who lives nearby, for various reasons, has run cachers off claiming private property.

Edited by Mr. 0

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to fully comprehend your posts. But from what I gather it sounds like a finder approached your cache from Private Property and posted a picture of the No Trespassing signs in their log. And instead of just pointing out that they approached from the wrong direction you waited 2 weeks and deleted their log with no explanation until they asked what happened.

Here's what I would have suggested instead. I would have posted a note and sent an email to them saying that they must have approached from the wrong angle. I would apologize for their inconvenience and inform them of where I had approached from. Then I would add parking coordinates (or directions on the cache page) so future finders could approach my cache legally. In fact I had a cache in a similar situation due to some changes in ownership and did just that.

If I had a cache I was certain was not on private property and someone logged that they believed it was on private property, my response would be:

1) possibly recheck the location for new signage/etc that indicates private property which did not exist when I placed the cache

2) definitely post an Note (or possibly Owner Maintenance?) log noting that the cache is NOT on private proprety and explaining how to approach the cache that avoids private property

3) possibly add a note to the cache page including the information posted in my log mentioned in #2

If I found a cache (or attempted to find a cache) and thought there was a private property issue, I would mention it in my log. I would strive to do so politely. I would do this in a public cache log rather than privately messaging the CO because if I thought there was an issue other cachers seeking the same cache may also have the same concerns I do. A public question usually begets a public answer.

If I felt it was a very serious issue I might report it directly to a Reviewer, but usually I will make the CO aware of the issue and only contact a Reviewer or log a Needs Archived if the CO does not adequately address the issue.

Edited by Joshism

If I had a cache I was certain was not on private property and someone logged that they believed it was on private property, my response would be:

1) possibly recheck the location for new signage/etc that indicates private property which did not exist when I placed the cache

2) definitely post an Note (or possibly Owner Maintenance?) log noting that the cache is NOT on private proprety and explaining how to approach the cache that avoids private property

3) possibly add a note to the cache page including the information posted in my log mentioned in #2

If I found a cache (or attempted to find a cache) and thought there was a private property issue, I would mention it in my log. I would strive to do so politely. I would do this in a public cache log rather than privately messaging the CO because if I thought there was an issue other cachers seeking the same cache may also have the same concerns I do. A public question usually begets a public answer.

If I felt it was a very serious issue I might report it directly to a Reviewer, but usually I will make the CO aware of the issue and only contact a Reviewer or log a Needs Archived if the CO does not adequately address the issue.

Very reasonable. If there might be an issue then future seekers deserve to know that.

I will say though, if I thought it was a serious issue I would not hesitate to post a NA and contact the reviewer immediately. Nothing against the CO, but better safe than sorry. No sense letting someone get arrested for trespassing over a silly game.

i had that happen on two of my caches, no pictures though, i never deleted any logs but i simply wrote a note on the cache page replying to their concerns

alternately you can add a note in the cache description addressing the issue and reassuring people that it is OK to be there

I was looking for a cache that was five years old and been found about a hundred times, yet hadn't been found in about a year. The instructions were to follow a dirt road adjacent to Hwy MM #XX. What I found was this:

bd7f315d-afb6-49c6-adbf-555b0cb3b001.jpg

I posted it with my DNF log and never gave it another thought. CO thanked me and archived the cache as it was obvious that things had changed. If instead, he informed me that I was mistaken, I would have happily removed the photo. If he had waited two weeks and then deleted my log without explanation, I would have been put off and wouldn't hesitate to drop it in the reviewer's lap.

Edited by Don_J

Just my .02

Yeah, that's one of those things that was promised over a year ago. They are too busy giving us stuff that we don't need and don't want.

Just my .02

Yeah, that's one of those things that was promised over a year ago. They are too busy giving us stuff that we don't need and don't want.

It would just make sense to have an option for the CO to delete a photo and not the whole log. Sometimes people inadvertantly post a pic of the actual location of a cache, or post a pic of a special container that was meant to surprise or confound a finder.

When I posted previously, I just assumed ( :yikes: ) that the option would be available. My assumption was based on the fact that you can delete photos from your own cache page or logs. However, I was mistaken and found that as a CO, you can not delete photos from your cache page without also deleting the whole log. That's a shame.

You shouldn't have to go through all the trouble of emailing the finder to tell him why their log is being deleted, then have them go through the trouble of re-logging the find without the photo.

I'm not a computer programmer, but this feature shouldn't be too hard to implement. Why isn't it offered I wonder?

Just my .02

You shouldn't have to go through all the trouble of emailing the finder to tell him why their log is being deleted, then have them go through the trouble of re-logging the find without the photo.

I'm not a computer programmer, but this feature shouldn't be too hard to implement. Why isn't it offered I wonder?

On the other hand, if someone has to go through the trouble of re-logging a find without a photo, perhaps they'll be less inclined to post spoiler photos in their logs in the future.

I am a programmer and without knowing how Groundspeak has implement photo upload/management features it's hard to say how hard it would be to implement. Note that photos uploaded in logs also show up in the Gallery section of a users public profile so care has to be taken that the gallery page isn't broken when a photo is deleted.

Just wanted to say that I'm glad I found this post. I just recently found myself in a similar situation where someone has posted a log on my cache with information that is incorrect making people think that it is on a military installation (which it's not) and is now scaring people away from my cache :( I was tempted to just delete the log but I guess I will email the person first and ask that they remove the comments with the misinformation first :)

Just my .02

In the Feedback we have been trying to get that taken care of. We can't delete logs unless they violated something or didn't actually sign the log. But we should be able to just delete the pic without the log. Pictures are mainly optional anyway.

I recently attempted to find a cache that was basically on the border of a private property line. It seemed to us 4 long time cachers to check this clearing behind this footbridge (no signs, no fences) for the cache. Was within 20 feet of 0 there. Well, met the private property owner, told him why there and went home, but did not know where cache was.

Turns out the cache is just beyond the small creek, without crossing the bridge. However, I would never have known that. I asked the CO to include a note to not cross the foot bridge. You would think I asked for his daughter's hand in wedlock or something...this caused so much anger on his part.

The thing is, look, if a cache finder has a realistic gripe about private property access to get a cache, what is the harm mentioning the proper direction to get to a cache, or at least saying how not to get there. I mean, any dope should not climb a fence or go beyond an obvious No Trespassing sign, but sometimes its not clear you are trespassing while on site.

Also, deleting a log should be last resort, not first response. If a picture bothered you, you could have asked finder to delete it. Or, you could have attached a note acknowledging this sign and say do not come from the north to reach this cache. Thus, you are preventing problems for future finders. Is that a bad thing to do? Then his picture would not deter caches but would eliminate a bad choice to do.

My 2 cents.

I recently attempted to find a cache that was basically on the border of a private property line. It seemed to us 4 long time cachers to check this clearing behind this footbridge (no signs, no fences) for the cache. Was within 20 feet of 0 there. Well, met the private property owner, told him why there and went home, but did not know where cache was.

Turns out the cache is just beyond the small creek, without crossing the bridge. However, I would never have known that. I asked the CO to include a note to not cross the foot bridge. You would think I asked for his daughter's hand in wedlock or something...this caused so much anger on his part.

sounds like someone who enjoys hiding caches that put people into uncomfortable search situatons... :huh:

in a small patch of woods that is not private.

Hi PaintBlr, welcome to the drama that cache ownership can be. :lol:

I'm glad that you are receptive to advice, as it seems there were errors on both sides.

I'm trying to determine who owns that patch of woods, but I'm having a real tough time digging through the Luzerne County Property Appraiser's site. If what I'm seeing is correct, (not something I'm willing to assume), it is owned by Freeland Villiage Associates, LLC. Do you know who owns it?

Somebody tried to bring something to the attention of you (and other geocachers) in a slightly inadvisable way.

You throw your toys out of the pram...

Without seeing his log I can't obviously say for sure, but either way it my have acted as a warning that there is private land nearby, so be respectful. Perhaps it was a dig at you for your cache placement, I don't know for sure or what he even said to go with the photo, let alone specific wording that could be misunderstood.

Instead of deleting his log without explanation, the polite way to have done it would be to email the cacher in question and ask him to remove the picture (with your justification). If he doesn't respond within a timely manner, then delete his log yourself, making sure to add a note to say exactly why you are deleting it and inviting him to relog without the picture, not just deleting it outright without an explanation. You state that you feel him rude to have added the picture without contacting you first, you are no better.

As for archiving a cache because of one poor experience, that just seems petty.

Land ownership is not always obvious, so I would feel it appropriate to mention that there is private land nearby a cache, and to make sure of your routing - for a cache you set up it would be well worth mentioning on the page, and possibly including some waypoints as to a safe route in and out to avoid cachers going for an aternative through private land.

You can add waypoints for parking locations and/or a trail head to the cache description if you want people to approach from a certain direction. This works well if there is private property or dangerous areas to be avoided.

It works well if people read the cache description and additional waypoints before heading off to search for the cache. Sometimes, it's just better to not hide caches in these locations.

Just my .02

On the other hand, if someone has to go through the trouble of re-logging a find without a photo, perhaps they'll be less inclined to post spoiler photos in their logs in the future.

I am a programmer and without knowing how Groundspeak has implement photo upload/management features it's hard to say how hard it would be to implement. Note that photos uploaded in logs also show up in the Gallery section of a users public profile so care has to be taken that the gallery page isn't broken when a photo is deleted.

I guess they figured it out, or at least they think they have. This functionality is planned to be part of the November update.

I didn't respond to this thread when it first came up, but since then something happened to me that gave me a new perspective.

I posted a Find on a cache and I mentioned in my log that every rock in the area had been turned over and dislodged by seekers looking for the cache. I mentioned it purely as a hint to the cache owner that the placement may cause issues down the road in terms of disrupting the area.

Not long after I got the notice that my log was deleted. I went into instant angry mode. Of all the things that I have done or had done to me while caching this one left me feeling really sour. :mad:

Awhile later I got an email from the CO saying the log was deleted for being a spoiler. (Well, first of all, the cache name had something about rocks in the title and there was nothing else around ground zero besides rocks so I didn't think it was much of a spoiler, but...)

I was still mad so I re-logged the cache with nothing but a "."

I can only imagine what my reaction would have been if this had been two weeks after I had posted a log instead of two hours. That would have really annoyed me.

Bottom line -- having a log deleted can feel like a personal attack on someone and it should be done with care. In my case, if the CO had emailed me first and asked me to edit my log I would have happily complied but by deleting first and THEN asking questions it just made me mad.

I didn't respond to this thread when it first came up, but since then something happened to me that gave me a new perspective.

I posted a Find on a cache and I mentioned in my log that every rock in the area had been turned over and dislodged by seekers looking for the cache. I mentioned it purely as a hint to the cache owner that the placement may cause issues down the road in terms of disrupting the area.

Not long after I got the notice that my log was deleted. I went into instant angry mode. Of all the things that I have done or had done to me while caching this one left me feeling really sour. :mad:

Awhile later I got an email from the CO saying the log was deleted for being a spoiler. (Well, first of all, the cache name had something about rocks in the title and there was nothing else around ground zero besides rocks so I didn't think it was much of a spoiler, but...)

I was still mad so I re-logged the cache with nothing but a "."

I can only imagine what my reaction would have been if this had been two weeks after I had posted a log instead of two hours. That would have really annoyed me.

Bottom line -- having a log deleted can feel like a personal attack on someone and it should be done with care. In my case, if the CO had emailed me first and asked me to edit my log I would have happily complied but by deleting first and THEN asking questions it just made me mad.

Thanks for that. Deleting a log should be the last and most drastic measure that one takes. It drives me crazy when I see a newbie come here and ask a question about a log on their new cache, and the first five responders tell them to delete it as if there are no other options.

Hi, I'm the bad guy who posted the no trespassing sign photo. I'm sorry, but it was 25 steps before the cache. The sign was posted by PAGNOTTI ENTERPRISES. The owners are known to me through law enforcement and do not take kindly to tresspassers, due to liability, so I thought posting the photo could avert a problem. Deleting my log 2 weeks later doesn't change the way I play the game. I found it and enjoyed the experience, even though I snuck the 25 steps past the poster to retrieve the cache. I'm not going to post anymore on this subject, as far as I'm concerned, it's over. PAINTBLR has a lot of other great caches and I still enjoy finding them. Keep up the good work, Team Lucky...

While I don't disagree, in my experience, emailing and questioning someone about their log can result in just as much anger. Happened to me just a week or so ago.

We can't delete logs unless they violated something or didn't actually sign the log.

Actually, we can delete any log for any reason. We shouldn't "delete logs unless they violated something or didn't actually sign the log."

I have had 2 COs delete my Note logs just because they didn't like what I said. One was on a TB "prison" where my note said that the CO's "rules" didn't need to be observed. The other Note was a reference to numerous DNF logs, some of which mentioned that the area was somewhat undesirable--all of the DNF logs were also deleted.

So, just because we "can" doesn't mean we "should."

Deleting the log seems appropriate to me. If the person logging was not courteous enough to send a private message then they deserve no better.

Sometimes things posted in a cache log are as much for the next seekers as they are for the cache owner.

If the person ahead of me sees what might be a tresspass issue I like to know about it and sending a private message to the CO doesn't help.

Different views.