Update to Geocaching.com

Never mind "taking longer to load"...I've been waiting 15 mins for a log to load. I'm still waiting

I think they have found another way to bog down the servers. First it was adding the avatar to the posts and now it is changing the way the posts are being accessed. Making a fun sport stressful :shocked::anicute:

Look...

Every time there's an update there're are problems immediately afterwards.

Just ignore it! Give it 24 hours, then see how it's looking. Over in USA they've got all afternoon and (maybe) into the evening to get the hitches sorted out... just have a decent nightcap, go to bed and hope most of it's sorted out by the time you wake up. :D

MrsB

Im glad I come across this topic as I thought it was just my computer. It makes you wonder if they are trying to push people out of this hobby by doing silly updates like this. They should at least give you the option. All I want to do is read the comments what people are putting on our new caches

I’m not sure they are trying to push people out of the hobby! What would they have to gain from doing that?

As it happens, the logs will not download at all for me at work and if it stays that way, it will be an inconvenience. Having said all of that, when I’m at work, I should be working :laughing: . I’m sure it’s not a silly update and that the change is for a reason, it will sort itself out. As far as reading the comments on your new caches go, can you not just read your email notifications for the time being?

I like the new log scrolling; much better than having to see either a few or all.

I think it's horrendous. Most of the time I only want to see the most recent finds/DNFs, occasionally I might want to search for an old log entry which I could do before by showing all logs and then doing a search on page, however now you can't show all logs and the search on page only searches those that are currently on the page, so to be able to search everything I have to keep scrolling down to the bottom, wait for it to load, scroll down again, ...etc. and then search.

It's a pain.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Obviously there are going to be occasions where the new version doesn't suit, but I think they have it covered for normal usage. It's now much easier to see recent logs, and you're not forced into making a choice of either yesterday's handful or the whole 2000 (if you've ever looked at the Washington State APE cache you'll have experienced the huge delay whilst all logs are loaded).

So you can have a quick scan through a few recent logs quite easily.

If you want to look into the whole history then you have "View Logbook"; so for instance if you want to see who was FTF on a popular cache from 2005 you can get there easily and without having to display the whole lot.

I suspect that the server was taking quite a hit a times when a lot of people were viewing "all logs" even though they actually only wanted a few weeks worth.

If you were given the choice of how many logs to display, then for some caches 5 would be plenty and for others you might want 100 (depends why you want to see them). At least this way there's no arbitrary cutoff.

To see all logs at once you just have to press ctrl+End a few times until every log is visible. I just tried that on a cache with 130 logs and it took 15 seconds to display the lot. But I suppose it depends how fast your internet connection is.

As it happens, the logs will not download at all for me at work and if it stays that way, it will be an inconvenience. Having said all of that, when I’m at work, I should be working :laughing: .

I think that this might be something to do with the warning message that we've been getting for some time now

Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers. Visit the Knowledge Books for more information.

Not that i know anything about this as I wouldn't use a company computer for personal use [;)].

So who do we speak to to convince that it would be a good idea to upgrade from IE6 :lol: ?

As it happens, the logs will not download at all for me at work and if it stays that way, it will be an inconvenience. Having said all of that, when I’m at work, I should be working :laughing: .

I think that this might be something to do with the warning message that we've been getting for some time now

Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers. Visit the Knowledge Books for more information.

Not that i know anything about this as I wouldn't use a company computer for personal use ;).

So who do we speak to to convince that it would be a good idea to upgrade from IE6 :lol: ?

If you click on the Print: 5 logs or 10 logs links near the top of the screen you'll stiill be able to see the most recent logs.

I take it you've actually managed to get a cache page to load with any logs on it.

I've just tried to load a recently published cache (60 mins ago) and it's still struggling to find the reviewers "Published" log.

At the moment this site is not fit for purpose!

Just tried again using IE9 and Firefox and it all loads like lightning. So I guess that the problem is at your end...sorry! If you have the link I could try the cache you mention, but I suspect that it will load within a second or two.

Why oh why do they keep messing with the website. Now the logs are taking longer to load. If it ain't broken why mend it!

Colin

Vote here

I voted for the option of being able to show all logs (so that searching is easy when there are thousands of logs). It seems obvious to have that option on the Logbook page.

But this change seems to have improved things a lot; for instance you can now scroll through the last logs without having to wait for ages.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Mystery solved;

There was a config issue with one of the web servers that was identified as the cause of this problem. That explains why some people never saw the issue while others were regularly experiencing it. The config has been updated on that server and this should now no longer be a problem. Please let us know if you continue to experience issues. (31058)

That's why I had no problem at all and yet others were howling with pain!