Geocaching.com site update September 15th 2011

colin

If there is a log I can see it. But what I was hoping for is the images still linked to the cache page itself. Example you see in someone's gallery a great waterfall. You click the image and NOTHING. you see the image but not the cache page, so you still don't know what cache the picture was taken from.

If it has changed then I must be missing something.

If there is a log I can see it. But what I was hoping for is the images still linked to the cache page itself. Example you see in someone's gallery a great waterfall. You click the image and NOTHING. you see the image but not the cache page, so you still don't know what cache the picture was taken from.

At the bottom of the image there should be 2 links "View log" "Print Picture".

If you do not see the link, disable greasemonkey.

Thanks guys for the fixes.

Maybe the answer is to take smaller smaller steps and just fix or add one or two things at a time? Seems to work better than the big monthly releases.

I would agree to some extent. But the thing that seems missing to me is the developers do not take the time to document the changes they are going to make, along with the resources touched and used and have this go through a peer review. This is not for public release and management is not welcomed at the peer review. Once they make the code changes a peer review of the code changes should also be done. I think most of the oh dears we have been experiencing is because of the lack of review. It seems like no one said "but that is the way it works now and this change changes that behavior". I did that for the 20 some years I was doing software development and it was extremely helpful in getting a more bug free product out the door. So many of the little glitches we have had the last few releases I just shake my head and mumble "well that was never reviewed". And yes, it takes time so forget the biweekly bug release or even a monthly release. I would be quite happy with a release every 6 to 8 weeks that addresses some of the outstanding requests on Don_J's list and the release does not break or regress the features and then the need for a couple hotfixes to get it working again.

I have noticed that if the photo in the geocacher's gallery is for a trackable, rather than a geocache, it will not have the "View Log" link when you click to see the photo. It would be nice if they would add the link for those photos, too.

I have noticed that if the photo in the geocacher's gallery is for a trackable, rather than a geocache, it will not have the "View Log" link when you click to see the photo. It would be nice if they would add the link for those photos, too.

And, I have noticed that if I am viewing my gallery, through my public profile, I do not see images that I have attached directly to my cache listings. Can anyone confirm if they were always absent, or did they get lost in the shuffle?

And, I have noticed that if I am viewing my gallery, through my public profile, I do not see images that I have attached directly to my cache listings. Can anyone confirm if they were always absent, or did they get lost in the shuffle?

Not a change. Photos uploaded to the cache page (not logs) did not show in your user profile gallery.

I guess you can't have it both ways. I turned off Greasemonkey and yes I see the logs now, but it is now back to the way it was and can't see the images as a slideshow.

To plan a group trip, I used to pull up the "all logs" page for each cache and search for the members of my party. That's how I knew who had visited. Now I can't do that -- the URL modifier "&log=y" no longer works. The TOS forbid me to ask the group to send me their "found" PQs. So I can't plan these trips anymore.

To plan a group trip, I used to pull up the "all logs" page for each cache and search for the members of my party. That's how I knew who had visited. Now I can't do that -- the URL modifier "&log=y" no longer works. The TOS forbid me to ask the group to send me their "found" PQs. So I can't plan these trips anymore.

Send everyone in your group a freind request and have them confirm it. You then click the View Logbook link and then choose the friends tab and you'll see exactly what you are looking for.

I think that this was one of the main reasons for the overhaul.

It's possible a "show all logs" type option may be re-implimented.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2248390-not-possible-to-show-all-logs-at-one-click-on-one-

If you and your friends use GSAK Clyde published a TOS compliant macro to achieve the goal. Check out the Group Caching macro. A discussion of various methods is here. Also I think the version 8 api's will also provide the functionality.

Edited by jholly
Also I think the version 8 api's will also provide the functionality.

Hm, so now we're getting to a point where a limited number of 3rd party applications is able to provide more functionality than the website itself? Scary... :ph34r:

Actually it is the website providing the functionality through the website api. It is the third party app that allows the use of that functionality.

Hm, so now we're getting to a point where a limited number of 3rd party applications is able to provide more functionality than the website itself? Scary... :ph34r:

Actually it is the website providing the functionality through the website api. It is the third party app that allows the use of that functionality.

Yeah, that. Same difference. Means that by using the website only, you don't have access to that functionality.

Yes sure DFX, but by using the website ONLY you can never find a geocache. Many other third party things, like your legs is on the list too, are needed for geocaching. So ye little ole argument is not cutting it today :ph34r::P

I hope you're joking :rolleyes:

I don't think it's scary at all. Groundspeak is the listing service. They have the data that everyone wants to manipulate. Creating an API and allowing approved 3rd party software vendors access to it just opens it up and allows people to create all the slicing and dicing they could want and that Groundspeak simply doesn't have the time to create. After all, they are so busy creating wonderful new additions like challenges ;)

Seems like a good business model. Instead of hoarding the data, they have allowed others an opportunity to create functionality not present on the website and further solidify their position.

I'm thrilled with the new functionality GSAK has as a direct result of the API.

Domo!!!

Just experiencing something very weird, and want to know if anybody else is having the same issue.

I've posted a 'Feedback':

No TB logs, just only Cache logs in "Your Logs (Last 30 Days)"?

Screen grab 1

Screen grab 2

I just noticed this, but in "Your Profile" page, it used to show a list of ALL logs you've posted during the last 30 days.

Right now, it ONLY shows the Cache logs, and NO TB logs.

Weird...

This started after this update, but strangely not immediately after.

This is still happening in Safari 5.1 & Firefox 6.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard & 10.7 Lion, on two separate Macs, AND also on a Wintel machine with IE.

VERY Weird...

Is this just happening to my account?

~ Dr.MORO

I don't think it's scary at all. Groundspeak is the listing service. They have the data that everyone wants to manipulate. Creating an API and allowing approved 3rd party software vendors access to it just opens it up and allows people to create all the slicing and dicing they could want and that Groundspeak simply doesn't have the time to create. After all, they are so busy creating wonderful new additions like challenges ;)

Seems like a good business model. Instead of hoarding the data, they have allowed others an opportunity to create functionality not present on the website and further solidify their position.

The problem is that in order to get that added functionality, you're now forced to use certain specific software. Not everybody does, can, or wants to use GSAK.

I just noticed this, but in "Your Profile" page, it used to show a list of ALL logs you've posted during the last 30 days.

Weird...

This is still happening in Safari 5.1 & Firefox 6.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard & 10.7 Lion, on two separate Macs, AND also on a Wintel machine with IE.

VERY Weird...

~ Dr.MORO

I don't have this problem, I'm sorry.

The problem is that in order to get that added functionality, you're now forced to use certain specific software. Not everybody does, can, or wants to use GSAK.

Kinda like if you want to utilize the road in your town you need a bike or an auto! hehe

Kinda like if you want to utilize the road in your town you need a bike or an auto! hehe

Nope, kinda like I'd have to have a Nissan that runs on gas from Esso to use the roads. :rolleyes:

Domo!!!

Just experiencing something very weird, and want to know if anybody else is having the same issue.

I've posted a 'Feedback':

No TB logs, just only Cache logs in "Your Logs (Last 30 Days)"?

Screen grab 1

Screen grab 2

Weird...

VERY Weird...

~ Dr.MORO

Domo again!!!

Self reply... Duh...

It just seems that due to my lagging logging, previous TB logs are just not showing because they are over 30 days old!

BUT, then why are the Cache logs over 30 days old are still showing???

~ Dr.MORO

Send everyone in your group a freind request and have them confirm it. You then click the View Logbook link and then choose the friends tab and you'll see exactly what you are looking for.

I really wish, though, that they had used an arbitrary, local list like the VIP script did, though. Many friends of mine are not accepting friends requests, and sometimes I may want to look at logs for somebody that I don't want on my friend's list. Tying that to the Friends list really limits its usefulness.

I really wish, though, that they had used an arbitrary, local list like the VIP script did, though. Many friends of mine are not accepting friends requests, and sometimes I may want to look at logs for somebody that I don't want on my friend's list. Tying that to the Friends list really limits its usefulness.

I went to the feedback site and asked for that very same thing. I was ripped to shreds for being a stalker. Please feel free to go here to pile on and say bad things about my idea. The consensus was ask them to be your friend. I don't know, never had a dog for a friend, don't know how my cat will like it, but I would be your friend. :)

I haven't seen a response to this, so I'm bumping it.

The links in my forum signature are now broken.

Should I recreate them using BBCode? Or is this bug going to be fixed?

I'm not seeing issues with others' signatures. I would recommend that you recreate yours.

Yep. Weird. I didn't change anything, just re-saved the same settings and logged out and in. Now it's fine.

I went to the feedback site and asked for that very same thing. I was ripped to shreds for being a stalker. Please feel free to go here to pile on and say bad things about my idea. The consensus was ask them to be your friend. I don't know, never had a dog for a friend, don't know how my cat will like it, but I would be your friend. :)

Done. Thanks for creating the topic. Now, if it can get some more attention.

"Cyber-stalking"... geeze! What about "cyber-libel"? All this is doing (as you pointed out) is using the computer to filter the already publically available information.

There's a new slight oddity that's a result of how logs are loaded now.

When you're about to post a new log on a cache page (you have the "log your visit" page open), open the cache page itself in a second tab or window.

Scroll down until the first batch of logs is loaded (10 of them), then stop scrolling so no more are loaded.

Go back to the first tab and post your log.

Go back to the second tab and scroll further down, until the next 10 logs are loaded. Now there's 20 of them loaded, but one of them (the last of the first 10) shows up double.

Quite a logical and expected result considering how the logs are loaded and no big deal, just something I thought I'd mention.

Edited by dfx