Geocaching.com site update September 15th 2011

colin

Here's my biggest problem. Even if this new log display feature is working exactly as intended, they still broke something. Open GCCCC7. Tell me what date I found the cache? Yes, it can be done, but you are certain to be holding the page down button for over an hour in order to get all of the logs loaded so that you can then do a search that will take about a second. Okay, you could make me a friend and look at the new section. Wait, you can't make me a friend. Only I can make me your friend.

That's a good demonstration of the problem.

The obvious solution is to have an option in the Logboook section that shows all logs (as before). Because there's now an alternative if you just want the last few weeks of logs, it wouldn't be used too much; so wouldn't cause server stress. After all, how many times do you really need to search through all logs? Not very often so it would be fine if it's a couple of clicks further away.

And... (Similar-but-different department)

The image lightbox no longer shows the image caption. This is for images attached to logs. Please restore.

Domo again!!!

Indeed! How did I miss that as well.

Even more, how did THEY miss this in the first place...

GS needs to seriously consider serious Beta-testing by serious & real geocachers...

Edited by Dr.MORO

Don't know who else is seeing this but when I open a cache page it loads all of the logs instead of just the last 5 that it used to.

It doesn't, it just appears that way. The logs are loaded on demand: once you get to the bottom of the page, more logs are loaded, so it looks like all of them have been there from the beginning.

profiles are not available anymore

"An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue."

EDIT: back now

Didn't happen here. Must have been on your end. :ph34r:

my end is just fine, i make sure i have enough fiber every day :anibad:

From time to time I checked the logs like "when did a special cacher log a cache and what what his comment". For this (and only for this) I had chosen the Show me all logs option. If I want to do the same now I have to scroll down and down and down and ... down to the first log before I can search for a special cacher.

Again a step back instead of progress (not to mention bugfixing). So I see two tendencies: The platform becomes worse and worse and my decision for renewing the PM becomes easier and easier.

I have given up to believe that GS cares about the needs and wishes of us cachers.

From time to time I checked the logs like "when did a special cacher log a cache and what what his comment". For this (and only for this) I had chosen the Show me all logs option. If I want to do the same now I have to scroll down and down and down and ... down to the first log before I can search for a special cacher.

And the best thing is: When you leave the logs (for watching a profile or so) and and return to the logs, you again have to scroll down and down and down and down....

For the most part, I do not get involved in this type of discussions but now is one of those times.

Why get rid of the coordinates posted by other cachers on the log?

Now I have too open each and every log to see if anyone has posted updated coordinates instead of scrolling down through the logs, a big time waster and a bigger pain in the posterior.

Before this latest "improvement" all I had to do was show all logs and scroll down.

Please show them again.

I noticed two problems with the new log page:

1) There is no way to view the logs through Google Translator (or AltaVista). Since it caches the current view, logs aren't loaded. There is a cache in Germany I view but now, I can't translate the logs unless I copy/paste each one. No doubt, this isn't something one thinks of during an update, but never-the-less, this is a "bug" with the system.

2) Coordinates aren't posted. So, you can't see if someone posted updated coordinates or not.

I noticed two problems with the new log page:

1) There is no way to view the logs through Google Translator (or AltaVista). Since it caches the current view, logs aren't loaded. There is a cache in Germany I view but now, I can't translate the logs unless I copy/paste each one. No doubt, this isn't something one thinks of during an update, but never-the-less, this is a "bug" with the system.

2) Coordinates aren't posted. So, you can't see if someone posted updated coordinates or not.

Never tried translating logs from the old page, but the new log loading system is incompatible with Google Translate and the logbook doesn't work since you have to be logged in to use it. There is a bit of a workaround that you can do, though it's not that great: If you go to the site below and drag the English "button" to a bookmark/favorites toolbar, you can select the text of a log and then click that button to translate that text to English. That's not that good a workaround though since it will mess up formatting, and selecting more then one log can result in somewhat messy output.

Edit: Forgot the URL.

http://translate.google.com/translate_tools

Edited by EdrickV

Show logs does not work here as well - spinning circle on three browsers (IE9, Chrome13, Firefox6). geocaching.com get worse and worse and worse, instead of concentrating on major issues, you work on "features" that nobody needs, nor wants. Never change a running system...

Sorry guys - I spent some money for the premium account because I liked what you provided. Now, seeing that with each update something else breaks, I am seriously thinking about leaving gc.com behind and focus on open platforms.

Logs now show up again in all browsers, but this page wise auto-fetching thing is annoying. You have to scroll down and down and down... The new Gallery is useless without the link to the logs...

Well, let's wait and hope for the next update, focussing more on features for "Geocaching" instead of improving "Challenges".

here

Logs now show up again in all browsers, but this page wise auto-fetching thing is annoying. You have to scroll down and down and down... The new Gallery is useless without the link to the logs...

Well, let's wait and hope for the next update, focussing more on features for "Geocaching" instead of improving "Challenges".

Do NOT wait but VOTE here and here

While the browsers I am using are able to display all the logs, I regard it as annoying to work through tons of logs by manual intervention in order to get them all displayed which I need if I want to perform a text search over all logs (something which occurs frequently). In the outcome things get much slower for me and not faster.

Cezanne

Agree. I will sometimes look for logs by specific people. With the GM script "Show All Logs" running, I always had all logs available when I went to the listing. Now I either have to manually scroll, or go the Show Logbook page.

A tad annoying.

Why is it that when I use the MapQuest link on the cache page, the resulting map always shows the star at the center of West Lafayette, IN (sister city to my home co-ords)? I have tried the MapQuest link on caches near to home, a hundred or so miles north, 50 miles south and even in other states - all of them result in a map of West Lafayette, IN with the cache location (star) indicated as the "center of West Lafayette, IN". I don't have this problem with Google maps. Yes, I know I could just use Google and forget about MapQuest, but I like MapQuest. Plus my orderly mind thinks that if MapQuest is no longer an option, it should be removed from the cache pages. :)

Thanks!

Mrs. Car54

That is a serious flaw, in my opinion. Were they making the assumption that as soon as somebody posted alternate coordinates, that the cache owner was right there, agreed with them, and updated them on the cache page?

If I can't find a cache, one of the first things I will do it to look at recent logs to see if anybody has posted alternate coords! :mad:

That is a serious flaw, in my opinion. Were they making the assumption that as soon as somebody posted alternate coordinates, that the cache owner was right there, agreed with them, and updated them on the cache page?

If I can't find a cache, one of the first things I will do it to look at recent logs to see if anybody has posted alternate coords! :mad:

Why does everyone assume that the coordinates were removed on purpose? I'd rather say it was a simple mistake and that they'll put them back at the next update. (Sooner would be better of course...)

Why does everyone assume that the coordinates were removed on purpose? I'd rather say it was a simple mistake and that they'll put them back at the next update. (Sooner would be better of course...)

It doesn't matter to me if it was deliberate or accidental. The bottom line is the same. It needs fixing.

Why is it that when I use the MapQuest link on the cache page, the resulting map always shows the star at the center of West Lafayette, IN (sister city to my home co-ords)? I have tried the MapQuest link on caches near to home, a hundred or so miles north, 50 miles south and even in other states - all of them result in a map of West Lafayette, IN with the cache location (star) indicated as the "center of West Lafayette, IN". I don't have this problem with Google maps. Yes, I know I could just use Google and forget about MapQuest, but I like MapQuest. Plus my orderly mind thinks that if MapQuest is no longer an option, it should be removed from the cache pages. :)

Thanks!

Mrs. Car54

Don't know exactly how you are trying to use MapQuest, but switching to MapQuest and MapQuest Aerial from the Beta Maps screen works fine for me as does the MapQuest link from a Benchmark's page. (The only two MapQuest links I know of off hand.) Maybe the problem you're having is an issue with cookies or security settings?

Don't know exactly how you are trying to use MapQuest, but switching to MapQuest and MapQuest Aerial from the Beta Maps screen works fine for me as does the MapQuest link from a Benchmark's page. (The only two MapQuest links I know of off hand.) Maybe the problem you're having is an issue with cookies or security settings?

Thank you for this! I am trying to click the MapQuest link directly from a cache page. Based on your post, I clicked the geocaching Google map link first and from the beta maps, then clicked MapQuest. That worked! Then I tried the link from a benchmark page - nope. So I took your suggestion and cleared my cookies. That seemed to reveal that the problem is with Classic MapQuest. I usually use Classic Mapquest for my non-geocaching needs as I like it better than the new MapQuest. (Hmmm, a preference for old maps instead of new maps - HA!) At any rate, prior to clearing my cookies, the cache page MapQuest link was attempting to use Classic MapQuest. After clearing my cookies, the cache page link loads new MapQuest with the correct destination. However, if I attempt to switch to Classic MapQuest from the new MapQuest, I get the old problem with the static destination of "center of West Lafayette, IN" even though the cache co-ords are clearly correct in the URL. Don't know if that's a MapQuest problem or a problem with how gc.com links to it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to live with it. :laughing: Guess it's time to swallow my dislike and make friends with new MapQuest. :anitongue:

Mrs. Car54

Thank you for this! I am trying to click the MapQuest link directly from a cache page. Based on your post, I clicked the geocaching Google map link first and from the beta maps, then clicked MapQuest. That worked! Then I tried the link from a benchmark page - nope. So I took your suggestion and cleared my cookies. That seemed to reveal that the problem is with Classic MapQuest. I usually use Classic Mapquest for my non-geocaching needs as I like it better than the new MapQuest. (Hmmm, a preference for old maps instead of new maps - HA!) At any rate, prior to clearing my cookies, the cache page MapQuest link was attempting to use Classic MapQuest. After clearing my cookies, the cache page link loads new MapQuest with the correct destination. However, if I attempt to switch to Classic MapQuest from the new MapQuest, I get the old problem with the static destination of "center of West Lafayette, IN" even though the cache co-ords are clearly correct in the URL. Don't know if that's a MapQuest problem or a problem with how gc.com links to it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to live with it. :laughing: Guess it's time to swallow my dislike and make friends with new MapQuest. :anitongue:

Mrs. Car54

I can go to Mapquest from a cache page and it locates the cache fine for me. This sounds like an issue not related to the release to me, and should probably be brought up for discussion elsewhere so as to not confuse the issues in this thread.

I can go to Mapquest from a cache page and it locates the cache fine for me. This sounds like an issue not related to the release to me, and should probably be brought up for discussion elsewhere so as to not confuse the issues in this thread.

Oops! My bad! I wasn't sure when it changed. Carry on - nothing to see here. :anicute:

Mrs. Car54

The bug with incorrect links in notification emails has NOT been fixed.

Example: received notification that TBBB5D has been placed in a TB Hotel, link to the cache is shown as http://coord.info/GL245YEJ which it seems has been picked up from the log link http://coord.info/TL245YEJ.

The link to the cache should in fact be http://coord.info/GC2CGVT

Didn't notice till now, but this bug is confirmed here. It seems to be specific to TBs/Geocoins, and seems to stem from a change between 7/11/2011 and 7/20/2011 when the cache coordinates were changed to use coord.info URLs rather then regular geocaching.com URLs.

Because due to the last few months of changes there is zero trust anymore so we always assume the worst and with good reason :D

Do NOT wait but VOTE here and here

Done :)

Well, only one of those two has been fixed, right? The

With today's hotfix, you can now click on an image and select "view log" to easily view the associated log. (31046)

And that is only partially fixed, and the silly part is the part that is fixed doesn't really need the fix! If you click on an image from a log, you do indeed get an option to view the log that you just came from.

But if you are browsing the gallery and click on an image, there still is no way to see which log that image came from, and that is the real problem.

At least some of you are seeing logs. With the latest update, using Chrome on a pc, I get the "view logbook" and when I click on that, the next page only shows how many pages of logs--no logs at all. Clicking on any of the pages does nothing. So, add this to the fact that on the same pc, I don't see any caches at all on the beta map, and when using the old map, it always pulls up caches in Seattle. I wasn't letting these little things bother me, as most functions work on my netbook and MacBook, but now, with each update causing more issues, my outlook is changing.

Has anyone clicked on "Favorites" on the cache page? Anyone else have this issue?

36c7bb90-c687-4925-9152-9577937ebaf0.jpg

It's broken again.

Thank you for fixing it for a week however.

Yuk!!! No, I wasn't aware of that ugly monster! But I have to concur... I'm seeing it, too (Firefox 6.02)

PS: I get it with both Firefox 6.02 and IE 7, although the appearance is slightly different with IE7.

Edited by knowschad

But if you are browsing the gallery and click on an image, there still is no way to see which log that image came from, and that is the real problem.

Are you sure? On both galleries (cachepage, profiles) i have a "view log" link on the images.

Hm, you're right. It wasn't there before! Must have been a ninja change...

Has anyone clicked on "Favorites" on the cache page? Anyone else have this issue?

36c7bb90-c687-4925-9152-9577937ebaf0.jpg

It's broken again.

Thank you for fixing it for a week however.

Yuk!!! No, I wasn't aware of that ugly monster! But I have to concur... I'm seeing it, too (Firefox 6.02)

PS: I get it with both Firefox 6.02 and IE 7, although the appearance is slightly different with IE7.

I don't see the problem, Win7, FF 6.02. How do you cause it to happen? Perhaps if it happens open a view source window and scroll to the bottom and post the server you are on. i.e.

<!-- Server: WEB01; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

They might have a configuration issue and this will help track it down.

Are you sure? On both galleries (cachepage, profiles) i have a "view log" link on the images.

The personal gallery (from a profile page) has the link, and images loaded from a log listed on the cache page has a link to the log. But images loaded from the cache page do not (for me). I have done a Ctrl/F5 refresh, too. All I see on the lightbox image is "Click image to view original image in new tab" (which, come to think of it, does not work for me, either!)

I do not. I only see it when viewing a user's gallery. I do not see it when looking at a cache's gallery.

I do not. I only see it when viewing a user's gallery. I do not see it when looking at a cache's gallery.

I just tracked it down to the Greasemonky script "GC Galley". Disable that script and the images work as advertised.

The personal gallery (from a profile page) has the link, and images loaded from a log listed on the cache page has a link to the log. But images loaded from the cache page do not (for me). I have done a Ctrl/F5 refresh, too. All I see on the lightbox image is "Click image to view original image in new tab" (which, come to think of it, does not work for me, either!)

Are you both talking about the same thing? This?

screenshot092011162030.png

I don't see the problem, Win7, FF 6.02. How do you cause it to happen? Perhaps if it happens open a view source window and scroll to the bottom and post the server you are on. i.e.

indeed, it does not happens every time you click on the Favorites box.

These servers are NOT OK:

<!-- Server: WEB02; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

<!-- Server: WEB04; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

<!-- Server: WEB05; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

<!-- Server: WEB09; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

<!-- Server: WEB12; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

These server are OK:

<!-- Server: WEB06; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

<!-- Server: WEB08; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

Edited by DanPan

Are you both talking about the same thing? This?

Yes, we were talking about the same thing, but Don_J found the problem... the GC_Gallery Greasemonkey script. I disabled that and its working just fine here now. That information has also been posted to the Feedback thread.

I just tracked it down to the Greasemonky script "GC Galley". Disable that script and the images work as advertised.

Whoops... didn't see that you had already posted that here. Nice catch. Thanks!!

indeed, it does not happens every time you click on the Favorites box.

This one is not OK:

<!-- Server: WEB05; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

I am not getting the error from WEB08 either. Ican't seem to get a different server right now.

<!-- Server: WEB08; Build: Challenges_HFIII_20110915.3 -->

It works for me. I asked them to mess it up for you, because you picked on me in that voting comment.... Don't mess with me - I have pull! :P