Geocaching.com site update September 15th 2011

colin

And that be the problem.... trying to use whiz-bang Web 2.0 technologies for wow factor. I am a big fan of straight static HTML for busy sites and for the best cross section use. To many varibles with a site this big for the fancy "scripts" they are trying to use

Can't agree. gc.com is a database website, as such pretty much every page you visit must be dynamic. From a performance point of view, offloading some of the scripting away from the servers and into the users' browsers makes a lot of sense. I agree that they need to provide a fallback mechanism to serve browsers not capable of executing the browser-side scripting, but generally it's a move in the right direction.

While the browsers I am using are able to display all the logs, I regard it as annoying to work through tons of logs by manual intervention in order to get them all displayed which I need if I want to perform a text search over all logs (something which occurs frequently). In the outcome things get much slower for me and not faster.

Cezanne

I used to be able to click a thumbnail in my profile gallery and see both the picture, and the log it was attached to, giving me a full remembrance of the experience. Now when I click a thumbnail, I just get the picture with no context info and I have to go searching for the log that went with it. How is this an improvement?

Log display has been coming and going since the update. This is with different browsers, ISPs and operating systems.

People, if you don't know the cause of the problem, please refrain from posting as if you do. Suggestions and speculation are fine. But saying with no equivocation that the problems are on the user end only causes more confusion. Please find some other way to ingratiate yourself to the Groundspeak staff.

Thanks for the fresh steaming turd, Groundspeak. Inside it as usual there are a few nice ideas, plenty of problems due to insufficient testing, and lots of higher-priority problems left unfixed. At least you're consistent.

maybe people should refrain from just continuously b****ng without providing any proper feedback as to what they are experiencing....but maybe just read the post below...its the best post in this whole thread and i have no doubt it got lost in all the noise

What you write only applies to the issue that the logs are not displayed for some of the users. Many of the comments refer however to issues that are arising for everyone (such as the issue that the command needed to show who has favourited a cache is broken) and are connected to the fact that Groundspeak very often changes things where noone has asked for change and does not obtain any progress on those issues that are top priority requests from the users of the site.

I certainly do not need to write which OS I am using and which browser in order to be allowed to mention that I am very annoyed by the lack of testing before releases are made available to the public. They simply do not learn from bad experiences with previous releases and continue to work in the same style without learning from the mistakes.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Don't know what happened to my first post?? I was saying that in my profile gallery, I used to be able to click a thumbnail and see both the picture and the log it went with, now I just see the picture. I don't like this change.

I also have a problem with trackables on the iPhone app. 1) it won't let me include more than one trackable on a Found It log, and 2) it only ever shows the first two trackables in my inventory, not any of the others.

Lastly, what happened to the Shine Worldwide Challenge involving the sundials? I was going to go do that one today.

Edited by Paranym

I was saying that in my profile gallery, I used to be able to click a thumbnail and see both the picture and the log it went with, now I just see the picture. I don't like this change.

I don't like this change at all!

It's not only my own profile gallery, but also the gallery of cache listings. When I see an interesting or funny photo the cache's gallery, I cannot see the log which tells the context of the photo. Very annoying, and - as usual - I fail to see any good reason for this change :mad: .

I was saying that in my profile gallery, I used to be able to click a thumbnail and see both the picture and the log it went with, now I just see the picture. I don't like this change.

It's not only my own profile gallery, but also the gallery of cache listings. When I see an interesting or funny photo the cache's gallery, I cannot see the log which tells the context of the photo. Very annoying, and - as usual - I fail to see any good reason for this change :mad: .

vote here

• Updated Cache Details page gallery to include images from cache page

Please revert. See #8 for the reason.

• Add Paging to logs on Geocache Listings - Revamped the way logs are displayed on the Cache page. Added Tabs for viewing your logs; your friend’s logs or just all logs.

Using gc.com without javascript or with opera mini is impossible now. Thumbs down.

Don't understand this change. What was wrong with clicking on an image in the gallery and see what cache it related to. I only found out about this change today when I wanted to see what cache I was at when I took a picture of a Salamander for Project Noah to get coordinates and all I got was the image and no link to the cache page.

When you find a lot of caches this option really helps narrow the locations for me. Maybe some don't want it but I think it really helps others find caches they want to try or visit when they see the image and know what cache it came from.

PLEASE PUT IT BACK.

Please remove this ugly feature. It is not working and if working, I have a some minutes job to scroll to FTF log.

No you don't. Click "View Logbook"; Click to show last page; Read FTF log.

So now it takes two actions where it use to take one (VIEW ALL). Not a fan of the "dynamic" logs.

Yes, and it's probably faster to get to the FTF log, since you don't have wait for all other logs to load.

The more Groundspeak adds stuff for those silly challenges, the more difficult they make things for geocaching.

This update broke the ability to reliably read the geocaching logs, but it included 39 (THIRTY NINE) changes made to try to improve Challenges.

Groundspeak keeps saying if you don't like Challenges, just ignore them. That would be easier to do if every Challenges update didn't break something else that Geocachers use.

When, oh when, will Groundspeak fix something as basic as working maps for Pocket Queries???? It's been broken for many months...

Has anyone managed to get a cache page to load any logs yet?

Works fine here...

Here too on IE8 and FF

It's been working like a champ for me since the update and I generally like it. I'd prefer to see the "logbook" tabs on the cache page instead of having to click through to them, but otherwise I like it.

For the record, I'm on Win7 32bit and I've done this on Chrome 13, IE 8, and FF 3.6

Has anyone managed to get a cache page to load any logs yet?

Works fine here...

Here too on IE8 and FF

It's been working like a champ for me since the update and I generally like it. I'd prefer to see the "logbook" tabs on the cache page instead of having to click through to them, but otherwise I like it.

For the record, I'm on Win7 32bit and I've done this on Chrome 13, IE 8, and FF 3.6

I've finally got a page to load with logs - another freshly published cache!

I'm on Chrome 13 under XP(32bit) and FF 3.6.7 - neither have previously successfully loaded a page, until now!

Groundspeak Stop. Just stop. Don't give us more broken features. Stop. Start fixing what is broken. I realize the perception among software developers is those that do continuing engineering are only slightly more valuable that the toilet cleaner. But for at least the past six months you have managed to regress every feature, had to issue a hot patch and still have not gotten the features back to what they were. Stop breaking and start fixing. Please or I will write some more bad HAICAP poems. You don't want that, do you?

I second that!

IMHO GS wants muggle to become new geocachers than to hear what the existing community wants and says!

I will have to think about renewing my PM ... and to archive my own caches

It works for me on a Window 7 64 bit machine with all critical Windows updates applied using firefox 6.0.2. Also works on IE 9.0. I did reboot the machine and restart the browser after the upgrade. I like the new set up although I too would like to default to the logbook view, I'm running up to date Norton antivirus and no greasemonkey scripts,

The Linux users (read: me :P) are not having problems :P

Well, there's at least two of us then. Linux Mint 11 and Firefox 6.0.2 with NoScript here.

But while I've changed nothing in my configuration over the last 24 hours (other than adding a few new NoScript exceptions to keep GC.com working, logs have been on-again, off-again like everybody else has found.

In a previous life I've developed web apps using AJAX - doing the same kind of thing the lackeys are doing - so I can imagine the chaos and fine-tuning going on at the lily pad right now. Let me speculate. They tried to reduce the load on their servers by introducing the log paging, because loading lots of avatars for a long series of logs was more load than just loading a bunch of text. So they introduced paging, which added a lot of new server load via DHTML (AJAX), going through new code paths in the servers. This (still speculating) overloads the servers, causing intermittent outage, while the lackeys scramble to fine-tune the parameters at the server end. I'm sure they burned the midnight CFL at the lily pad last night.

Oh, and as I'm sure they realize - or have just discovered - getting AJAXy apps to work with a wide variety of browsers is (ahem) a bit of a challenge. They're smart folks (look at what they've already accomplished). Let's give 'em a bit of time to work out the kinks.

Not that I have seen anyone from GS ask for one shred of feedback but here is the little info I have available. Windows vista upgraded to windows 7, both firefox and chrome. Clearing the cache and rebooting had no effect. The loading wheel just kept turning. This morning the logs were there. This afternoon they were gone again. Now the site is gone.

If your car ran as bad as your site you would sue the manufacturer. I'm getting dadgum tired of paying for something that I am lucky to see work. If it wasn't for my friends in OT I'd have been long gone. This is ridiculous. With every update the site works worse than before. Stop trying to be like facebook and go back to being geocaching.com.

For the record, the site has been working ultra-fast for me all day and I've had no problem viewing as many logs as I like. I like the "logbook" concept and it just needs a "view all" option to added now.

I used to be able to click a thumbnail in my profile gallery and see both the picture, and the log it was attached to, giving me a full remembrance of the experience. Now when I click a thumbnail, I just get the picture with no context info and I have to go searching for the log that went with it. How is this an improvement?

This does seem to be a genuine problem. Previously clicking the photo took you back to the cache page but now, although the photo enlarges nicely, there's no easy way of seeing what text was supposed to go with it. Looks like a quick fix was applied but not thought through.

Let me speculate. They tried to reduce the load on their servers by introducing the log paging, because loading lots of avatars for a long series of logs was more load than just loading a bunch of text. So they introduced paging, which added a lot of new server load via DHTML (AJAX), going through new code paths in the servers.

That might well be the case, but I cannot remember that anyone asked them for adding the avatars to the logs. I prefer the old way the logs displayed, without avatars and with a simple way to display all logs quickly (even if there are 5000 logs and more).

Cezanne

They are gathering information on the logs not loading on the report a problem on the feedback site. I expect that is because it allows them to isolate responses to single issues. Offer your reports here.

This was posted there

under review · Moun10BikeMoun10Bike (Admin, Geocaching) responded

Thank you for your patience – we understand the frustration of those who are experiencing this and are actively investigating. We are not able to find a consistent repro for this issue, so please include as much detail about your situation as you can when reporting it – browser and version, OS, how long you may have been logged in and sitting on a cache page, whether you were logged in on another device at the same time, etc. Thank you! (31058)

For the record, the site has been working ultra-fast for me all day and I've had no problem viewing as many logs as I like. I like the "logbook" concept and it just needs a "view all" option to added now.

This does seem to be a genuine problem. Previously clicking the photo took you back to the cache page but now, although the photo enlarges nicely, there's no easy way of seeing what text was supposed to go with it. Looks like a quick fix was applied but not thought through.

Domo!!!

I just posted a new feedback here. "Gallery Image displaying improvements"

Also, these another feedback about this here. "cache gallery images NOT linked anymore to cache page/logs"

Hope it gets 'improved'...

(For want of a better place to post this)

I see there is some form of pre-release testing ( http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1211519-try-a-server-update-on-a-seperate-system-or-page-B )

Can I ask how many people this currently involves - will you invite more people?

(Yes I'd consider volunteering...)

PS - I'd love to see the issue tracker opened up to the community but I'm not hopeful.

Edited by aB5dEglYeS5P

Logs been working fine all day. Now get the spinning thingie. Nothing changed on the computer except that I updated GSAK8 to V113. I'm really glad I needed this feature. Can't imagine how I manged to get along all these years without it.

Groundspeak Stop. Just stop. Don't give us more broken features. Stop. Start fixing what is broken. I realize the perception among software developers is those that do continuing engineering are only slightly more valuable that the toilet cleaner. But for at least the past six months you have managed to regress every feature, had to issue a hot patch and still have not gotten the features back to what they were. Stop breaking and start fixing. Please or I will write some more bad HAICAP poems. You don't want that, do you?

PS LOVE THE CAT

I use Firefox and some reason I can't see the Feedback site well or do anything like Vote or create a new Feedback. Almost the same issue on IE but Chrome is working.

Just saying. Because I happen to like Firefox

sounds like you are not logged in, you do have to log in on feedback site

also i noticed when you view the pictures from a log you don't see the captions anymore

But while I've changed nothing in my configuration over the last 24 hours (other than adding a few new NoScript exceptions to keep GC.com working, logs have been on-again, off-again like everybody else has found.

In a previous life I've developed web apps using AJAX - doing the same kind of thing the lackeys are doing - so I can imagine the chaos and fine-tuning going on at the lily pad right now. Let me speculate. They tried to reduce the load on their servers by introducing the log paging, because loading lots of avatars for a long series of logs was more load than just loading a bunch of text. So they introduced paging, which added a lot of new server load via DHTML (AJAX), going through new code paths in the servers. This (still speculating) overloads the servers, causing intermittent outage, while the lackeys scramble to fine-tune the parameters at the server end. I'm sure they burned the midnight CFL at the lily pad last night.

Oh, and as I'm sure they realize - or have just discovered - getting AJAXy apps to work with a wide variety of browsers is (ahem) a bit of a challenge. They're smart folks (look at what they've already accomplished). Let's give 'em a bit of time to work out the kinks.

Well, here's an idea... get rid of the avatars and go back to the plain logs. Was that really an important, er, feature, that needed to be added? Were there that may thousands of users who couldn't tell who was posting that log? Somehow I managed to understand who it was that was logging just by reading the name. Brilliant, I know. LIsten, I'm as proud of my own avatar as anyone (uh, actually, I couldn't care less), but I certainly do not feel compelled to foist it upon every poor soul who encounters one of my logs. If I wanted FACEBOOKcaching—a concept that I despise, in case the sarcasm isn't readily apparent— I'd go there. What I want is a quality geocaching experience without needless and wasteful frippery: well conceived and executed caches, map functionality restored to previous levels, and a reliable, rock-solid web site that just functions. And an apology, dammit. I want an apology from Groundspeak for treating the loyal geocachers who have supported them patiently for years for sacrificing them on the altar of user expansion and thereby degrading everyone's experience. Seriously, has anyone found a decent new cache? And don't get me started on "Challenges." Please. Oh, and I want Travel Bugs to stop disappearing. Yeah, I'm holding my breath.

Yes, I am rather peevish. I tend to get disgruntled when I put up with things for months and months hoping my dissatisfaction will be redressed, but instead feel ignored or worse, taken advantage of. As I mentioned before, I have only myself to blame; Groundspeak can do what they want. As my accounting professor quoted the Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules. Or as my mother used to tell me, if you don't like it, you can lump it.

All I'm saying is, a little mea culpa from TPTB would go a long way to mollifying the faithful. And finally, I implore you, how about some testing? Please, I beg you.

Okay, I'm done. Where are my beta blockers?

Edited by colin&daddy

Wow! Confirmed, and confirmed that it is a major shortcoming!

Wow! Confirmed, and confirmed that it is a major shortcoming!

Yeah, that one bites. Hope they fix that one soon.

They are gathering information on the logs not loading on the report a problem on the feedback site. I expect that is because it allows them to isolate responses to single issues. Offer your reports here.

This was posted there

under review · Moun10BikeMoun10Bike (Admin, Geocaching) responded

Thank you for your patience – we understand the frustration of those who are experiencing this and are actively investigating. We are not able to find a consistent repro for this issue, so please include as much detail about your situation as you can when reporting it – browser and version, OS, how long you may have been logged in and sitting on a cache page, whether you were logged in on another device at the same time, etc. Thank you! (31058)

Update from Moun10bike:

There was a config issue with one of the web servers that was identified as the cause of this problem. That explains why some people never saw the issue while others were regularly experiencing it. The config has been updated on that server and this should now no longer be a problem. Please let us know if you continue to experience issues. (31058)

Huh!! And here, I thought it had to have been a problem on my end, because it wasn't happening to everybody.

profiles are not available anymore

"An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue."

EDIT: back now

Didn't happen here. Must have been on your end. :ph34r:

I had experienced the same as t4e, but it's working now. Check that, as I was typing this, I tried to go to my profile, and it's broken again.

for those that the logs are not showing must be an issue at your end...

Don't think so. Everything has been fine for me until about five minutes ago. In fact, I have had a cache with a couple thousand of logs on it, open in it's own tab and have occasionally gone to it over the last few hours and paged down. New logs were loaded almost instantly, until five minutes ago. Now, just the "loading" message and the spinning circle. This now true for every cache I look at.

Nothing has changed here. Working one moment, not the next.

i've been on it since the update was finished and i tried caches with hundreds of logs as well as shorter ones, not once did i get a blank page with no logs and except for the very first one that i tried just after the update was finished the page loads instantly on scroll, i don't even see the "loading" icon...so i still think its something local to those that have issues

for those that the logs are not showing must be an issue at your end...

Lets see. They made changes to there product. I made no changes to my computer. Yup, must be my fault. <_<

neither have i and works like a charm, both at work and at home...how can that be explained?

although i am a full time FF user i did try other browsers like IE and Opera and still no issues

I don't explain it. It is not in my field of expertise. I can only tell you that it worked until they mucked around with things.

This is in my area of expertise and, strange as it may sound, it could well be that neither is broken.

Since it is working for some and not for others, this tells me that their good is (generally) OK and since you didn't change anything, your configuration is (generally) OK. What isn't OK is how their new code works with your configuration and/or network. Something about what they are now doing is either messing with your network or your system, for whatever reason, is having trouble handling it. Without knowing more of what they are doing "under the covers" it's darn difficult to recommend things to check for compatibility. Hopefully G-Speak is looking at those possibilities as well as inspecting code, but stuff like that can be a tough booger to track down.

Unfortunately this is a big problem with websites that want to use all kinds of whiz-bang technologies and techniques. Not everyone is properly configured to use them or folks prefer to keep their configuration and security settings set at a level which makes sites anywhere from annoying to unusable.

Not saying this is the situation in all, or any, cases with this logs issue, just trying to help some folks understand just one of the possibilities.

And that be the problem.... trying to use whiz-bang Web 2.0 technologies for wow factor. I am a big fan of straight static HTML for busy sites and for the best cross section use. To many varibles with a site this big for the fancy "scripts" they are trying to use. I like the changes myself and for me the new logs are working perfect. But that being said I am responsible for over a dozen computers and two networks and am a fanatic about updating and routine maintenance so that my machine is always a fine tuned machine - not everyone does that. (Not a slam on them at all, it takes time and much can go wrong with updating everything all the time on your PC.)

Here's my biggest problem. Even if this new log display feature is working exactly as intended, they still broke something. Open GCCCC7. Tell me what date I found the cache? Yes, it can be done, but you are certain to be holding the page down button for over an hour in order to get all of the logs loaded so that you can then do a search that will take about a second. Okay, you could make me a friend and look at the new section. Wait, you can't make me a friend. Only I can make me your friend.

Add me to the list. I fail to see how removing functionality is an improvement.

I can't say that this is related to the update, but I have only seen it since then.

Today (9/16) I received a Found It log dated two days ago (9/14). OK, not unusual... late logging. Except that just a few minutes ago, I received the email again. Exactly the same. The cacher has not logged two Found Its on my cache.

Probably just a hiccup, but I'm reporting it just in case anybody else is seeing this, too.

I can't say that this is related to the update, but I have only seen it since then.

Today (9/16) I received a Found It log dated two days ago (9/14). OK, not unusual... late logging. Except that just a few minutes ago, I received the email again. Exactly the same. The cacher has not logged two Found Its on my cache.

Probably just a hiccup, but I'm reporting it just in case anybody else is seeing this, too.

Haven't seen it myself. Is the URL under "Visit this log entry ..." also identical?

I'm not sure if this just started with the release yesterday but I believe so. When viewing somebody's pictures in their Gallery and clicking on a specific picture to view it larger size, it would also show what cache or location it was logged under, which I liked since there are several caches I've done due to seeing a picture and the location looked really neat, and also any caption you entered when uploading the picture would show. Now when you click to view a picture, it enlarges the picture, but that's it. I'm hoping this is a temporary issue that can be remedied soon. Thanks, Jay.

Ok - looks like I should have looked thru the forum a little better as I see a few entries above is another mention of this.

Edited by JayB10

Well, here's an idea... get rid of the avatars and go back to the plain logs. Was that really an important, er, feature, that needed to be added? Were there that may thousands of users who couldn't tell who was posting that log? Somehow I managed to understand who it was that was logging just by reading the name. Brilliant, I know. LIsten, I'm as proud of my own avatar as anyone (uh, actually, I couldn't care less), but I certainly do not feel compelled to foist it upon every poor soul who encounters one of my logs. If I wanted FACEBOOKcaching—a concept that I despise, in case the sarcasm isn't readily apparent— I'd go there. What I want is a quality geocaching experience without needless and wasteful frippery: well conceived and executed caches, map functionality restored to previous levels, and a reliable, rock-solid web site that just functions. And an apology, dammit. I want an apology from Groundspeak for treating the loyal geocachers who have supported them patiently for years for sacrificing them on the altar of user expansion and thereby degrading everyone's experience. Seriously, has anyone found a decent new cache? And don't get me started on "Challenges." Please. Oh, and I want Travel Bugs to stop disappearing. Yeah, I'm holding my breath.

Yes, I am rather peevish. I tend to get disgruntled when I put up with things for months and months hoping my dissatisfaction will be redressed, but instead feel ignored or worse, taken advantage of. As I mentioned before, I have only myself to blame; Groundspeak can do what they want. As my accounting professor quoted the Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules. Or as my mother used to tell me, if you don't like it, you can lump it.

All I'm saying is, a little mea culpa from TPTB would go a long way to mollifying the faithful. And finally, I implore you, how about some testing? Please, I beg you.

Okay, I'm done. Where are my beta blockers?

Really now, all this over a simple game's website. Wow, wonder what goes on when there is a real problem in life. If everything was perfect (that is impossible for one likes it blue and would gripe if it was red and the ones who like it red would gripe if it was blue) people would still be tearing up TBTP.

So, take a chill pill and go out and create something you are saying people are not doing - a decent cache. Be the leader in your area.

TPTB - I like that you are trying to improve things the best you can in a I I like red, I like blue environment.

Like not being able to read logs for some has really even impacted on GEOCAHING for you. It is just something people keep seeing it not working and if it does not GRIPE - GRIPE - GRIPE.

I dare one person give an example of how this temporary intermittent (the hardest bugs to find BTW) has effected your geocaching experience one iota. I dare ya!

Edited by Frank Broughton

Looks like the log not loading bug is fixed:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2248375-the-logs-are-not-shown-after-recent-update

There was a config issue with one of the web servers that was identified as the cause of this problem. That explains why some people never saw the issue while others were regularly experiencing it. The config has been updated on that server and this should now no longer be a problem. Please let us know if you continue to experience issues. (31058)