Geocaching.com site update September 15th 2011

colin

Good grief. I thought the nightmare was over after barely recovering form the last update disaster. I should have known better.

Once again, navigating to Forums from geocaching.com/my does not log me in. Clicking Log In and entering account/password takes me to My Profile page, it does not log me in and return me to Forums. Illogical, as Spock might opine. Although, that having been done it seems to work subsequently.

I have reloaded pages, reset Safari (5.0.5) but all cache pages show ZERO logs and spinning wheel "Loading cache logs"

Clicking View Logbook results in Zero Logs Found as mentioned above. Clicking Visit Log from my Quick View page does show me the correct log, however.

Please, I implore you, stop "fixing" things that aren't broken (and thereby breaking them) and fix the things that are, and that users have been requesting you redress for months, if not years.

I'd appreciate it.

Clearing your browser cache will fix the non-loading problem.

Clearing the cache did NOT fix the problem, in three browsers I never reset the cache, open/closed, or anything special, it just started working... my best guess is Groundspeak is still in the process of fixing the issue.

Add Paging to logs on Geocache Listings - Revamped the way logs are displayed on the Cache page. Added Tabs for viewing your logs; your friend's logs or just all logs.

Really? where did you hide the tabs?

There's a new "View Logs" link ummmm.... above the logs.

The tabbed log interface is a nice substitude for the VIP List Greasemonkey script. Problem is, the Friends have to be friends through the site, and not just a list that I decide to create. I know many people (including myself) that have the Friends Requests turned off.

Could use some formatting improvements in the way the logs display on those pages, at least under Firefox, though.

Still like the VIP script better.

ABSOLUTELY!

I didn't just use the VIP script to watch my friends. Sometimes I used it much more dynamically. Perhaps somebody started a thread here about some cache they had a problem with. I'd go to the cache page, add their name as a "VIP", and quickly have access to all of their logs for the cache. Very informative. But can you imagine how it would go if instead, I asked to "become their friends" (wincing even for using that phrase!) so that I could see their logs later in the day?

Groundspeak... you really need to instate a rule that your employees MUST cache a certain number of hours a week. If they don't know what we do, or how we use the tools, then how can they hope to improve them?

logs work perfect here for me, I know that does not help you. Try a complete clearing of you cache with ccleaner after logging out of your browser.

We are all supposed to be using ccleaner? Including the Mac and Linux users and those that don't want to use a 3rd party tool with that much power to mess our computers up? I'm glad your logs are working perfectly for you, but others are having problems. They are not supposed to be having problems.

loading2.gif Loading Cache Logs...

Four minutes, and counting... still no logs.

Edit: They are showing now. I see that you got rid of the alternated shading on the logs (fine with me... it didn't match the width of the text anyway). Other than that, I don't see what's different about the logs.

Same issue here.. Does not work in 3 other browsers. Cannot view logs

logs work perfect here for me, I know that does not help you. Try a complete clearing of you cache with ccleaner after logging out of your browser.

We are all supposed to be using ccleaner? Including the Mac and Linux users and those that don't want to use a 3rd party tool with that much power to mess our computers up?

The Linux users (read: me :P) are not having problems :P

We are all supposed to be using ccleaner? Including the Mac and Linux users and those that don't want to use a 3rd party tool with that much power to mess our computers up? I'm glad your logs are working perfectly for you, but others are having problems. They are not supposed to be having problems.

Did not say that - you did. I was only offering a possible solution for a friend. Yep the Grumpy Old Fart is my friend.

I don't even know what ccleaner is. I rarely log out of my browser.

As much as geocaching is technological add-on to real life, a lot of us are complete morons about computers -- I certainly am. I was proficient with my Apple ][+, but pretty much not with anything since...

for those that the logs are not showing must be an issue at your end...

Don't think so. Everything has been fine for me until about five minutes ago. In fact, I have had a cache with a couple thousand of logs on it, open in it's own tab and have occasionally gone to it over the last few hours and paged down. New logs were loaded almost instantly, until five minutes ago. Now, just the "loading" message and the spinning circle. This now true for every cache I look at.

Nothing has changed here. Working one moment, not the next.

Now that I'm at home, logs show on cache pages. They didn't show at work; so I'm thinking there's some kind of connection speed issue. They don't show on my phone either, which is where I probably will need them most. I wish there were a non-Javascript version of the site. Almost all of the Javascript features have been a detriment to site usability.

Now that I'm at home, logs show on cache pages. They didn't show at work; so I'm thinking there's some kind of connection speed issue. They don't show on my phone either, which is where I probably will need them most. I wish there were a non-Javascript version of the site. Almost all of the Javascript features have been a detriment to site usability.

Now suddenly it works again. But it changes very often. And it's impossible to use the VIP list now.

Don't think so. Everything has been fine for me until about five minutes ago. In fact, I have had a cache with a couple thousand of logs on it, open in it's own tab and have occasionally gone to it over the last few hours and paged down. New logs were loaded almost instantly, until five minutes ago. Now, just the "loading" message and the spinning circle. This now true for every cache I look at.

And now it works, but I did have to do a page refresh.

Logs been working fine all day. Now get the spinning thingie. Nothing changed on the computer except that I updated GSAK8 to V113. I'm really glad I needed this feature. Can't imagine how I manged to get along all these years without it.

Groundspeak Stop. Just stop. Don't give us more broken features. Stop. Start fixing what is broken. I realize the perception among software developers is those that do continuing engineering are only slightly more valuable that the toilet cleaner. But for at least the past six months you have managed to regress every feature, had to issue a hot patch and still have not gotten the features back to what they were. Stop breaking and start fixing. Please or I will write some more bad HAICAP poems. You don't want that, do you?

Groundspeak Stop. Just stop. Don't give us more broken features. Stop. Start fixing what is broken. I realize the perception among software developers is those that do continuing engineering are only slightly more valuable that the toilet cleaner. But for at least the past six months you have managed to regress every feature, had to issue a hot patch and still have not gotten the features back to what they were. Stop breaking and start fixing. Please or I will write some more bad HAICAP poems. You don't want that, do you?

Amen and amen.

+1

Okay, never mind. It's broken again, and now even when I "View Logbook", I get nothing.

I probably should retrieve all my logs before Groundspeak loses them forever.

If i'd like my logs like in facebook i'd go to facebook.

*shakes head*

Using "show all logs" on opera mini while in the field was often the only chance to get some clues, now i need to reload 5 (or 10 on logbookpage) logs with a click? come on! You are kidding me.

Groundspeak seriousley needs some usability engineers, not software develooers who are trying to make facebook out of an gps-outdoorgame.. and please beta test the changes BEFORE throwing them out to production. I am really intersted how many "Update" it will take before basic rules of software development are deployed (and used)

Edited by j-sch

I don't like the new logs, but maybe I just don't understand how it works.

Let's suppose I'm working on GC2HQX4 Puzzle People- BigBender and I need to search through a bunch of cache pages for logs by davarle. In the past, I could just click "Show All Logs" and then use my browser find function to locate the log. Is that no longer going to be possible? (As another example, if I want to know whether or not person XXX has found Groundspeak HQ, is it going to be ridiculously painful?)

yes it is but only after all logs have loaded i.e. you need to reach the bottom of the page first

And when you left the site (for looking at a spoiler or so) and came back, you have to repeat the loading of all logs again and again :mad:

With the "all logs" button that wasn't necessary.

So what is more comfortable and what produces less traffic?

I am very disappointed...

Show logs does not work here as well - spinning circle on three browsers (IE9, Chrome13, Firefox6). geocaching.com get worse and worse and worse, instead of concentrating on major issues, you work on "features" that nobody needs, nor wants. Never change a running system...

Sorry guys - I spent some money for the premium account because I liked what you provided. Now, seeing that with each update something else breaks, I am seriously thinking about leaving gc.com behind and focus on open platforms.

Yep good catch! Not working here either. There is a feedback page on it already: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2248851-new-update-causes-error-when-clicking-on-favorite-

I also noted the problem and then had to browse through almost three pages to realize that it has been reported here as well.

I am really wondering how they are testing the software they are writing if it is tested at all.

It should be standard to check everything where something has been changed before releasing a code.

I'd expect this even from high school students writing their first lines of code.

Cezanne

After experimenting a bit more, the log paging feature really doesn't work well on caches with lots of logs. Taking a guess for a cache that would have lots of logs, I tried looking at GCGV0P: "Original Stash Tribute Plaque" and using the down arrow key to scroll down (the only method that consistently keeps more logs loading) I gave up trying to get to the end after 5 minutes. And I hadn't gotten past 2010.

Also gave up after 5 minutes of holding the "Down-arrow" on my keypad, and was still on 2010 logs at that point. This approach just doesn't work if you wish to search for something specific in the logs and you first have to hold down a key for ages to get the information loaded for the search!

Maybe if the website was split into pages optimized for workstation browsing (complete with background, avatars, log display options) and another for mobile and tablet browsing (really minimized in terms of material required to load onto the mobile browser screen), it would be better for everyone?

Also like the idea of a log tab for a personal vip-list of people, whose logs you wish to see.

And could you please get the beta maps working on iOS Safari?!

thanks!

I also noted the problem and then had to browse through almost three pages to realize that it has been reported here as well.

I am really wondering how they are testing the software they are writing if it is tested at all.

It should be standard to check everything where something has been changed before releasing a code.

I'd expect this even from high school students writing their first lines of code.

Full ACK!

The request at Feedback has been to remove the avatars, not resize them.
Not all of us signed that petition.

I like 'em.

I like the avatars too.

I also like the Facebook-like auto-updating logs at the bottom of the page. (Of course, I imagine that I'd like them less if they didn't work for me.)

I like the avatars too. Though it might be nice to have an option set in your profile to display them or not, depending on your preference.

Logs which included a waypoint no longer display the waypoint on the cache page.

They DO display the waypoint if viewed on their own page. I consider this a bug.

This includes stripping the leading waypoint from coordinate update logs.

Here's a listing where the 2 most recent logs both included a waypoint with the log as an example

http://coord.info/GC31RPY

Firefox 4.0.1

Logs which included a waypoint no longer display the waypoint on the cache page.

They DO display the waypoint if viewed on their own page. I consider this a bug.

This includes stripping the leading waypoint from coordinate update logs.

Here's a listing where the 2 most recent logs both included a waypoint with the log as an example

http://coord.info/GC31RPY

Firefox 4.0.1

Yep, this has also happened to a cahe log I made yesterday(GC2G3MM).

i've been on it since the update was finished and i tried caches with hundreds of logs as well as shorter ones, not once did i get a blank page with no logs and except for the very first one that i tried just after the update was finished the page loads instantly on scroll, i don't even see the "loading" icon...so i still think its something local to those that have issues

Lets see. They made changes to there product. I made no changes to my computer. Yup, must be my fault. <_<

neither have i and works like a charm, both at work and at home...how can that be explained?

although i am a full time FF user i did try other browsers like IE and Opera and still no issues

Edited by t4e

i've been on it since the update was finished and i tried caches with hundreds of logs as well as shorter ones, not once did i get a blank page with no logs and except for the very first one that i tried just after the update was finished the page loads instantly on scroll, i don't even see the "loading" icon...so i still think its something local to those that have issues

Lets see. They made changes to there product. I made no changes to my computer. Yup, must be my fault. <_<

neither have i and works like a charm, both at work and at home...how can that be explained?

although i am a full time FF user i did try other browsers like IE and Opera and still no issues

I don't explain it. It is not in my field of expertise. I can only tell you that it worked until they mucked around with things.

I don't explain it. It is not in my field of expertise. I can only tell you that it worked until they mucked around with things.

This is in my area of expertise and, strange as it may sound, it could well be that neither is broken.

Since it is working for some and not for others, this tells me that their good is (generally) OK and since you didn't change anything, your configuration is (generally) OK. What isn't OK is how their new code works with your configuration and/or network. Something about what they are now doing is either messing with your network or your system, for whatever reason, is having trouble handling it. Without knowing more of what they are doing "under the covers" it's darn difficult to recommend things to check for compatibility. Hopefully G-Speak is looking at those possibilities as well as inspecting code, but stuff like that can be a tough booger to track down.

Unfortunately this is a big problem with websites that want to use all kinds of whiz-bang technologies and techniques. Not everyone is properly configured to use them or folks prefer to keep their configuration and security settings set at a level which makes sites anywhere from annoying to unusable.

Not saying this is the situation in all, or any, cases with this logs issue, just trying to help some folks understand just one of the possibilities.

Log display has been coming and going since the update. This is with different browsers, ISPs and operating systems.

People, if you don't know the cause of the problem, please refrain from posting as if you do. Suggestions and speculation are fine. But saying with no equivocation that the problems are on the user end only causes more confusion. Please find some other way to ingratiate yourself to the Groundspeak staff.

Edited by Sandy

I am so disappointed AGAIN that nothing was done to fix the beta maps on tablets and the PQs. Sigh.... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I used to want the maps fixed too, but after seeing what happens after an update I hope they leave them alone. Partly working beats not working every time.

This is in my area of expertise and, strange as it may sound, it could well be that neither is broken.

Since it is working for some and not for others, this tells me that their good is (generally) OK and since you didn't change anything, your configuration is (generally) OK. What isn't OK is how their new code works with your configuration and/or network. Something about what they are now doing is either messing with your network or your system, for whatever reason, is having trouble handling it. Without knowing more of what they are doing "under the covers" it's darn difficult to recommend things to check for compatibility. Hopefully G-Speak is looking at those possibilities as well as inspecting code, but stuff like that can be a tough booger to track down.

Unfortunately this is a big problem with websites that want to use all kinds of whiz-bang technologies and techniques. Not everyone is properly configured to use them or folks prefer to keep their configuration and security settings set at a level which makes sites anywhere from annoying to unusable.

Not saying this is the situation in all, or any, cases with this logs issue, just trying to help some folks understand just one of the possibilities.

And that be the problem.... trying to use whiz-bang Web 2.0 technologies for wow factor. I am a big fan of straight static HTML for busy sites and for the best cross section use. To many varibles with a site this big for the fancy "scripts" they are trying to use. I like the changes myself and for me the new logs are working perfect. But that being said I am responsible for over a dozen computers and two networks and am a fanatic about updating and routine maintenance so that my machine is always a fine tuned machine - not everyone does that. (Not a slam on them at all, it takes time and much can go wrong with updating everything all the time on your PC.)

This is not my area of expertise but as someone who did do very basic phone support for a library website and application to download ebooks and audiobooks, I do know that saying it doesn't work for me, is not very helpful especially since I expect it is working for many people. Why not provide them with at least the basic information they may need to troubleshoot the problem. I would suggest operating system, browser, antivirus software, and possibly ISP at a minimum. If you haven't cleared your cache, rebooted your computer, and tried a different browser, I would try those, if you have I would tell Groundspeak, They aren't psychic and trying every possible variation of a large number of possibilities is not very efficient.

+1

+ 200

There - that ought to get some action. :anitongue:

Mrs. Car54

Sorry if the Bible offends some (if it does you have a broken offender) but from my daily reading today:

From the uttermost part of the earth have we heard songs, even glory to the righteous. But I said, My leanness, my leanness, woe unto me! the treacherous dealers have dealt treacherously; yea, the treacherous dealers have dealt very treacherously.

haha kinda like here some are singing songs and some are noting treachery! haha

I like being on the song singing side, maybe I am just lucky having this new log deal work for me. Anyways another check mark for using GSAK! No dynamic logs there folks.

+1 on the logs not working. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. All this trouble just to stop the screen scraping apps that are working? :unsure: Geez...

And joohoo! Mobile browsers don't understand diddly with all that java- and whatever scripting ! My poor android browsers just chokes. (firefox: not working, dolphin: not working. instock browser: not working)

Seems like Groundspeak are trying to get rid of a couple of players? I mean, when this continues I will NOT be paying for the game anymore. I will just stick to what can be done as a non-paying member. Which at this moment is roughly the same. All premium options are killed.:blink: I have said it before and I'll say it again: Groundspeak, if you don't know (or don't care!) what you are doing, don't do it!

Edited by Keystone
Potty language removed by moderator.

Log display has been coming and going since the update. This is with different browsers, ISPs and operating systems.

People, if you don't know the cause of the problem, please refrain from posting as if you do. Suggestions and speculation are fine. But saying with no equivocation that the problems are on the user end only causes more confusion. Please find some other way to ingratiate yourself to the Groundspeak staff.

Thanks for the fresh steaming turd, Groundspeak. Inside it as usual there are a few nice ideas, plenty of problems due to insufficient testing, and lots of higher-priority problems left unfixed. At least you're consistent.

maybe people should refrain from just continuously b****ng without providing any proper feedback as to what they are experiencing....but maybe just read the post below...its the best post in this whole thread and i have no doubt it got lost in all the noise

This is not my area of expertise but as someone who did do very basic phone support for a library website and application to download ebooks and audiobooks, I do know that saying it doesn't work for me, is not very helpful especially since I expect it is working for many people. Why not provide them with at least the basic information they may need to troubleshoot the problem. I would suggest operating system, browser, antivirus software, and possibly ISP at a minimum. If you haven't cleared your cache, rebooted your computer, and tried a different browser, I would try those, if you have I would tell Groundspeak, They aren't psychic and trying every possible variation of a large number of possibilities is not very efficient.

And that be the problem.... trying to use whiz-bang Web 2.0 technologies for wow factor. I am a big fan of straight static HTML for busy sites and for the best cross section use. To many varibles with a site this big for the fancy "scripts" they are trying to use

Can't agree. gc.com is a database website, as such pretty much every page you visit must be dynamic. From a performance point of view, offloading some of the scripting away from the servers and into the users' browsers makes a lot of sense. I agree that they need to provide a fallback mechanism to serve browsers not capable of executing the browser-side scripting, but generally it's a move in the right direction.

And joohoo! Mobile browsers don't understand diddly with all that java- and whatever scripting ! My poor android browsers just chokes. (firefox: not working, dolphin: not working. instock browser: not working)

As already posted above, works for me in the stock Android browser...

Edited by Keystone
Potty language removed from quoted post

The log issue is [edited by moderator]! :mad:

At this very moment, logs do not appear on my desktop PC (FF 4.0.1), even if I clear the browser cache and restart the browser. However, logs do appear on my old Nokia mobile running a Opera Mini 6.0 browser with rather limited capabilities!

In the last few hours it was alternating between logs/no logs on my PC with no apparent causes (I certainly didn't change anything in my configuration).

Right now it's not such a big deal, but I'd hate to be out caching and having no online access to the latest logs. Helped very frequently in the past to read some log when I had problems finding a cache!

Edited by Keystone
Potty language removed by moderator.

Getting a 302 as feedback should be enough. It worked a few hours ago with the same environment (FF 6.0.2, Win7). I don't know why this simple request

GET /seek/geocache.logbook?tkn=**********&idx=1&num=10&decrypt=false HTTP/1.1
Host: www.geocaching.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
Accept: application/json, text/javascript, */*; q=0.01
Accept-Language: de-de,de;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest
Referer: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0eddb98e-61ba-4577-ad75-5877cff2cc7b
Cookie: hiddenlinks=false; __utma=**********; __utmz=**********.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none); __qca=**********; BMItemsPerPage=20; ShowBeginnerCaches=false; ASP.NET_SessionId=**********; userid=**********
DNT: 1
Connection: keep-alive

results in a 302.

Has anyone managed to get a cache page to load any logs yet?

I've just tried a recently published (60 mins ago) cache page and it has yet to find the solitary reviewers "Published" log.

Sure not being able to read logs and share the experience of others is one of the whole points of geocaching?

The site as it stands really is NOT fit for purpose. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's a shame that this major SNAFU has totally outweighed all the other good features in the release.

What was wrong with the logs the way they were? :huh::blink::huh: