Geocaching.com site update September 15th 2011

colin

I don't like the new logs, but maybe I just don't understand how it works.

Let's suppose I'm working on GC2HQX4 Puzzle People- BigBender and I need to search through a bunch of cache pages for logs by davarle. In the past, I could just click "Show All Logs" and then use my browser find function to locate the log. Is that no longer going to be possible? (As another example, if I want to know whether or not person XXX has found Groundspeak HQ, is it going to be ridiculously painful?)

Edit, I reloaded the page and the hint is now ok:

IE8

Clues are not displaying properly, this read ok yesterday:

Tree&nzc;amp;yg;br&nzc;amp;tg;Final - Stickoflage. Mind the Gorse.

Cache page incase its a one off :

http://coord.info/GC2TGYF

Hint is not okay if you encrypt/decrypt repeatedly.

Stage One - Bowl of Tree&nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;yg;br&nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;tg;Final - Stickoflage. Mind the Gorse.

Yes I have clicky fingers.

I don't like the new logs, but maybe I just don't understand how it works.

Let's suppose I'm working on GC2HQX4 Puzzle People- BigBender and I need to search through a bunch of cache pages for logs by davarle. In the past, I could just click "Show All Logs" and then use my browser find function to locate the log. Is that no longer going to be possible? (As another example, if I want to know whether or not person XXX has found Groundspeak HQ, is it going to be ridiculously painful?)

yes it is but only after all logs have loaded i.e. you need to reach the bottom of the page first

IE8

Stage One - Bowl of Tree&nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;tg;Final - Stickoflage. Mind the Gorse.

holy forum stretch Batman!...ever heard of wrapping your text? lol

IE8

Stage One - Bowl of Tree&nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;yg;br&nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;nzc;amp;tg;Final - Stickoflage. Mind the Gorse.

You don't need "clicky fingers" for this to happen.

It starts just the 2nd time you decrypt a hint and gets worse each time after.

loading2.gif Loading Cache Logs...

Four minutes, and counting... still no logs.

Immediately after the Web site came back on-line, I had no trouble opening a cache page and viewing all the logs. Now, a couple of hours later, when I open a cache page, it hangs on "Loading Cache Logs" and never shows any logs. That little wheel has been spinning for more than 15 minutes and so far no joy; I've also reloaded the page every way I know how to, and that hasn't helped.

At this point, I can view cache logs only by clicking "View Logbook" and viewing them 10 at a time. Not an efficient way to see all the logs.

Windows 7 Home Premium, Firefox 6.0.2.

--Larry

Immediately after the Web site came back on-line, I had no trouble opening a cache page and viewing all the logs. Now, a couple of hours later, when I open a cache page, it hangs on "Loading Cache Logs" and never shows any logs. That little wheel has been spinning for more than 15 minutes and so far no joy; I've also reloaded the page every way I know how to, and that hasn't helped.

At this point, I can view cache logs only by clicking "View Logbook" and viewing them 10 at a time. Not an efficient way to see all the logs.

--Larry

Well, a couple of minutes after I posted the above, things changed again, and I can now see the cache logs. I'm beginning to think someone is tweaking things in the background.

--Larry

• Add Paging to logs on Geocache Listings - Revamped the way logs are displayed on the Cache page. Added Tabs for viewing your logs; your friend’s logs or just all logs.

By "Paging", I would have assumed it meant splitting the logs into pages, not one continuous (but not really there) list. True pages would work far better than the present method, along with the old "Show all logs" link. Out of curiousity, I brought up the Tunnel of Light page to see how painful it would be. I was only back to last summer when I lost interest and gave up. I also found that if you actually manage to get to the bottom of the page (I found holding PgDn did this), the logs stop loading. I then had to scroll back up any amount to re-activate the loading. For caches with few logs, it works well, but for any with a significant number of logs, it just doesn't fly.

As far as other issues, I'm also seeing the problem mentioned above with the "You logged this on" box, but to the gallery issue mentioned in post #8, I just checked a local puzzle that uses the background image, and it was not in the gallery.

Maybe you should get together some focus groups or beta-testers to try things out before implementing or releasing them? Fixing functionality and usability should also be priority #1, not tweaking the look-and-feel or adding unrequested "features". When you do add or change functionality, why not listen to the community and act on the Feedback suggestions?

I'm not getting logs to load at all now.

For GC325VH, I see one Found icon and one Published icon.

I only see "Loading Cache Logs..." on the main page (using Firefox or Chrome)

When I click "View Logbook", it says "No Logs Found" even though the All Logs (*) tab is selected.

Edited by kablooey

also love the fact that they all show at once without having to click "additional logs" and being tossed at the top of the page

Seemingly though if you wish to read the logs from oldest to newest you have to now scroll down and down and down, some button to load them all at once might be nice.

what do you mean "now"?...the oldest logs have always been at the bottom

"page down" works faster than scrolling :anibad:

The 'now' has nothing to do with the order of the logs. it is related to the amount of scrolling one must do "now" just to get earliest logs on the page. Originally it was scroll 5 logs, click additional logs, "End" (works even faster than page down :anibad: ). "Now" on pages with many logs I get to scroll or hold down the down arrow for possibly hundreds of logs just to get to the first logs. Page Down and End work for a few log loadings but if there are enough logs both keys will eventually actually take me to the end of the page and not load any further logs.

ETA: that the other method of clicking a link, the last numbered box, still scrolling through to the oldest log, reading 10 or so, clicking next highest number....repeat is not really a viable option either, though it can indeed get you to the first logs quicker.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

--Larry

Yes, I concur. When I first wrote that, I was at work. It eventually started to display logs, but now that I'm at home, I'm having the same issue again.

--Larry

Yes, I concur. When I first wrote that, I was at work. It eventually started to display logs, but now that I'm at home, I'm having the same issue again.

Please remove this ugly feature. It is not working and if working, I have a some minutes job to scroll to FTF log.

I like the changes. They work fine here. I like the avatars and the alternating colors of the logs just fine as they are and have been. The smile next to the find count is just fine too. Now that the real bad coding - showing the email address in the wild is fixed (whoever did that get down right now and do ten pushups) all is well with me.

Now on to fixing the beta maps..... that will make a bunch of people happy.

Also favorite points in the PQ's would be nice about now!

Oh wait, get that bug fixed that you created with this update "the watching cache find your log thingie" mentioned above and THEN on with the BETA MAPS! Jeremy get the gang some donuts and coffee, lock the door on them, and do not let them out till the maps are working please.... haha

Oh wait, get that bug fixed that you created with this update "the watching cache find your log thingie" mentioned above and THEN on with the BETA MAPS! Jeremy get the gang some donuts and coffee, lock the door on them, and do not let them out till the maps are working please.... haha

Thanks, Frank. I knew you'd get them motivated! You should have spoken up earlier, though.

Thanks, Frank. I knew you'd get them motivated! You should have spoken up earlier, though.

Hey, I have to work sometimes. I just got home. I do check in once in a while at the work office,but today was a real busy day at the office - sorry. :)

loading2.gifLoading Cache Logs...

That's all I got for the last 1/2 hour and yes I reloaded and restarted and rebooted. I get this in both Safari and Firefox, no logs show up.

If I click View Logbook i get:

All Logs (*) Your Logs (*) Your Friends' Logs (*)

Decrypt

No Logs Found

The new log list works the same as the Facebook newsfeed, for a very common example. So it technically does what it's supposed to do (aside from this odd endless loading icon). But I do also agree with those who want the 'all logs' link back.

Suggestion: Beside "View Logbook", add "Load All Logs" - this link would do what scrolling to the bottom does, but just loads all remaining logs instead of just the next chunk. In short - One would load the cache page, scroll to the top of the log section, click 'Load All Logs', and (if they scroll down they'd see the loading spinner, until) all remaining logs are loaded and display.

Addition: "Load All Logs" would be an inline ajax call (no page refresh needed), but the link can actually be for a URL that one could open in a new tab (perhaps even the same URL that was used for the old 'Show All Logs' link); the javascript just cancels the click before running the inline ajax. Umm. Sounds complex. Example: Facebook photos - if you click a photo, it pops up the image on the page, but if you right click and open in a new tab or copy the link, it's a URL to display the image on its own page. This provides users a URL to immediately load all logs for a cache by default, but also provides a nicer interface to load all the logs if you've already loaded the cache page. It also allows keeps the feature available as it did before for people who load the site without javascript enabled.

Highly simplified code version: <a href="url-to-cache-page-with-all-logs-shown" onclick="function_to_load_remaining_logs(); return false;">Load All Logs</a>

I do like the paged Logbook feature though. Much nicer for browsing. I also agree with the benefit of the VIP list over the internal friends list. We may have many geocacher friends who aren't connected as friends on GC.com. Since friends can only be added by mutual agreement, being able to have just a custom filter list of whoever would be great.

Im looking over caches for a big caching weekend we have planned. I was able to get all cache logs showing until a short time ago. Now I cant. Im using Chrome. (Im sure I dont have to mention it, but I want to be able to tell if there are multiple DNFs and its a waste of time to look, or if it has been found recently, and what the recent logs say given that I have physical limitations. I rely on cache logs to be able to tell if I can look for the cache.)

Also the feedback tab is a nuisance. It requires even more scrolling since it covers up information like text and coordinates. Can we make it invisible? Or just remove it.

I miss having the date of a log on the left side. Now to see when the most recent find was, I have to scroll left to see if its a find or dnf, then scroll way over to the right to see when that was. Its not convenient or comfortable. My wrist gets quite sore doing this even though Im used to working on the computer for hours a day.

After experimenting a bit more, the log paging feature really doesn't work well on caches with lots of logs. Taking a guess for a cache that would have lots of logs, I tried looking at GCGV0P: "Original Stash Tribute Plaque" and using the down arrow key to scroll down (the only method that consistently keeps more logs loading) I gave up trying to get to the end after 5 minutes. And I hadn't gotten past 2010. So it might well take a half hour or more of holding down the down arrow to get to the bottom. (Using page down/end will eventually stop. The scrolling method depends on seeing movement on the page, once it stops then scrolling up will cause it to start loading more logs. Even if you only scroll up a line or so.)

Something that works more like the original method might be better. Here is an idea:

When the user scrolls down to the logs, load the first 5 logs. If they scroll down more, load 5 more logs. If they continue scrolling down, load all the rest of the logs, as far back as they go.

After experimenting a bit more, the log paging feature really doesn't work well on caches with lots of logs. Taking a guess for a cache that would have lots of logs, I tried looking at GCGV0P: "Original Stash Tribute Plaque" and using the down arrow key to scroll down (the only method that consistently keeps more logs loading) I gave up trying to get to the end after 5 minutes. And I hadn't gotten past 2010.

Well you see, if those logs now didn't have the date on them, but simply said "about 1 year ago", you wouldn't even have noticed :ph34r::lol:

Add Paging to logs on Geocache Listings - Revamped the way logs are displayed on the Cache page. Added Tabs for viewing your logs; your friend's logs or just all logs.

Really? where did you hide the tabs?

There's a new "View Logs" link ummmm.... above the logs.

The tabbed log interface is a nice substitude for the VIP List Greasemonkey script. Problem is, the Friends have to be friends through the site, and not just a list that I decide to create. I know many people (including myself) that have the Friends Requests turned off.

Could use some formatting improvements in the way the logs display on those pages, at least under Firefox, though.

Still like the VIP script better.

And why can't the tabs be right there on the main page?

When the user scrolls down to the logs, load the first 5 logs. If they scroll down more, load 5 more logs. If they continue scrolling down, load all the rest of the logs, as far back as they go.

It's more an issue with changing how people use the log list on the cache listing now.

It used to be that scrolling down, then clicking to load all was the way to do it.

Now, instead of 'holding down forever', they'd rather you go to the Logbook page, then you can jump to any part of the history. At least, it seems that's what they're hoping people will start getting used to doing.

They're making the cache page a little more interactive now, which does take away some traditional functionality, but they've moved it elsewhere and improved certain aspects of it there. Here, it's now geared more towards the a quick 'let's check the recent logs' -- for a cache with hundreds of logs, you no longer have to wait for the entire list to load if you only want to check the most recent 20 or 30 or whatever (which, btw, is great for mobile cache page viewing; always hated loading EVERY log when I only wanted to check a few past the most recent 5).

But, I do think having the link to view all logs placed back on the cache page - either by navigating to the url that loads them all immediately (as previously), and/or by clicking a link that inserts the entire list of remaining logs dynamically (as scrolling does) - would be the best and quickest way to emulate the previous functionality while keeping the chunk-loading system and the Logbook addition.

It's more an issue with changing how people use the log list on the cache listing now.

It used to be that scrolling down, then clicking to load all was the way to do it.

Now, instead of 'holding down forever', they'd rather you go to the Logbook page, then you can jump to any part of the history. At least, it seems that's what they're hoping people will start getting used to doing.

They're making the cache page a little more interactive now, which does take away some traditional functionality, but they've moved it elsewhere and improved certain aspects of it there. Here, it's now geared more towards the a quick 'let's check the recent logs' -- for a cache with hundreds of logs, you no longer have to wait for the entire list to load if you only want to check the most recent 20 or 30 or whatever (which, btw, is great for mobile cache page viewing; always hated loading EVERY log when I only wanted to check a few past the most recent 5).

But, I do think having the link to view all logs placed back on the cache page - either by navigating to the url that loads them all immediately (as previously), and/or by clicking a link that inserts the entire list of remaining logs dynamically (as scrolling does) - would be the best and quickest way to emulate the previous functionality while keeping the chunk-loading system and the Logbook addition.

Hadn't commented on how the logbook works before because the only time before my previous posts that I'd opened it up, it didn't have any logs in it. (That was when I had the endless "Loading Caches" message.) Ultimately it would not do me any good in the field because I won't have it. The way I'm doing things right now, the only info I will have (if any) is what is on the cache page when I save it to my computer and copy it onto my smartphone. Likewise, it won't do any good for people who print out cache pages. (Though I suppose they could just scroll down to get a bunch of log entries and print that, they wouldn't need the full set.) For me at least, trying to bring up the live website in the field is expensive, and something I try to avoid. (I know a Premium Membership will make this a lot easier, but that takes money I don't have to spare yet, and the way things are going now I might not be able to get much use out of it, but that's another topic entirely.)

Good grief. I thought the nightmare was over after barely recovering form the last update disaster. I should have known better.

Once again, navigating to Forums from geocaching.com/my does not log me in. Clicking Log In and entering account/password takes me to My Profile page, it does not log me in and return me to Forums. Illogical, as Spock might opine. Although, that having been done it seems to work subsequently.

I have reloaded pages, reset Safari (5.0.5) but all cache pages show ZERO logs and spinning wheel "Loading cache logs"

Clicking View Logbook results in Zero Logs Found as mentioned above. Clicking Visit Log from my Quick View page does show me the correct log, however.

Please, I implore you, stop "fixing" things that aren't broken (and thereby breaking them) and fix the things that are, and that users have been requesting you redress for months, if not years.

I'd appreciate it.

No logs... Windows 7 64-bit, tried with IE9, Firefox 6.0.2, and Google Chrome 14.0.835.163. Also no logs in Windows XP with any brower. Android fails as well.

Really... is this stuff ever tested before you implement it, and stop fixing things that aren't broke or "fixing" things just to keep breaking unofficial apps, it's not worth it.

THIS IS WHY I DON'T HAVE A PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP ANYMORE!!!

Edited by acejavelin

Update: Logs now showing at bottom page. Five minutes after previous post, and I changed nothing. Thanks for whatever you did, or didn't do!

LOL... same here, logs suddenly started showing now, hope it will last!

Maybe it's working for you but it ain't for me. Came to the site update thread just to see if anyone else was reporting this issue. somehting isn't right because logs are not loading on any of the cache pages I've tried to view (about 10 or so...)

The request at Feedback has been to remove the avatars, not resize them.
Not all of us signed that petition.

I like 'em.

I like the avatars too.

I also like the Facebook-like auto-updating logs at the bottom of the page. (Of course, I imagine that I'd like them less if they didn't work for me.)

Update: Logs now showing at bottom page. Five minutes after previous post, and I changed nothing. Thanks for whatever you did, or didn't do!

LOL... same here, logs suddenly started showing now, hope it will last!

Hmmm, I'm a premium member and as such shouldn't my logs be fixed first? Mine aren't working:(

Good grief. I thought the nightmare was over after barely recovering form the last update disaster. I should have known better.

Once again, navigating to Forums from geocaching.com/my does not log me in. Clicking Log In and entering account/password takes me to My Profile page, it does not log me in and return me to Forums. Illogical, as Spock might opine. Although, that having been done it seems to work subsequently.

I have reloaded pages, reset Safari (5.0.5) but all cache pages show ZERO logs and spinning wheel "Loading cache logs"

Clicking View Logbook results in Zero Logs Found as mentioned above. Clicking Visit Log from my Quick View page does show me the correct log, however.

Please, I implore you, stop "fixing" things that aren't broken (and thereby breaking them) and fix the things that are, and that users have been requesting you redress for months, if not years.

I'd appreciate it.

Clearing your browser cache will fix the non-loading problem.

I'd appreciate it.

Clearing your browser cache will fix the non-loading problem.

Nope. Still no logs.