College course assignment

Blueflashlight

I am in a New Media Technology class and we are working on podcasts. The group with the most hits on their podcasts will not have to take the final. I have convinced my group that Geocaching would be a great topic for the podcasts. I am the only group member that is a cacher.

I need a few things here:

1)Ideas for GEOCACHING-RELATED topics to discuss in the podcasts... and the one vodcast we will be doing later in the semester.

2)Suggestions for names. We are students at Missouri Southern State University (MSSU) in Joplin, MO.

3)Support for this idea to show my fellow group members that I am not crazy in thinking we can win this challenge.

and... finally

4)Lots of sharing of the link to our podcasts once we complete them.

Thanks, guys!

Edited by Blueflashlight

Put up your link to the podcast. I'll try it out. I just moved to Columbia Mo, and have been using geocaching to learn more about Columbia and MO. Start out the first episode with an explanation of what geocaching is, maybe do one on what it takes to hide one in your area. Maybe tie in goecaching with finding those little out of the way spots that people don't know about. With the tragedy of what happened earlier this year, maybe show how it impacted the geocachers in the area... Just a few ideas.

1)Ideas for GEOCACHING-RELATED topics to discuss in the podcasts... and the one vodcast we will be doing later in the semester.

C'mon, are you really a stundent that geocaches or a marketing major used to using cliff notes and his frat buddies to give him the answers to (not so tough) questions? <_< Ok, Giving you the benefit of the doubt... :ph34r:

1) What Geocaching is, how it works, what you need to do it

2) Containers, types, sizes, what not to use...

3) Cache types, traditional, multi, puzzle, earth

4) What not to do (should get loud aplause from those that frequent these forums

5) Types/brands of GPSr's (kind of relates to #1)

etc. etc.

Edited by FobesMan

Sorry... The connection is that the podcasts will be ABOUT Geocaching. My bad... Should have made that clear.

You have a bad? A bad what? A bad cold? A bad assignment? OK, sorry... pet peeve. I HATE that phrase. The correct phrase is, "sorry, my mistake", not "my bad". But I'm probably just old fashioned.

"The group with the most hits on their podcasts will not have to take the final."

Are you serious? That is what college has come to? He who gets the most hits wins? Sigh... I guess it really IS all about the numbers.

Edited by knowschad

Put up your link to the podcast. I'll try it out. I just moved to Columbia Mo, and have been using geocaching to learn more about Columbia and MO. Start out the first episode with an explanation of what geocaching is, maybe do one on what it takes to hide one in your area. Maybe tie in goecaching with finding those little out of the way spots that people don't know about. With the tragedy of what happened earlier this year, maybe show how it impacted the geocachers in the area... Just a few ideas.

Thanks for your suggestions. It will be a couple weeks before we have the first podcast ready to go, but believe me... it will be posted everywhere we can think of. Welcome to Missouri! You mentioned one of my favorite parts of Geocaching: Finding those out of the way places we never knew about. I was born and raised in Joplin and there are places there I never knew about until I started caching. I don't know if any of the people killed in the tornado were cachers, but I guarantee every cacher in the area was impacted. BTW, the official death count went up by two today, almost four months after the tornado.

C'mon, are you really a stundent that geocaches or a marketing major used to using cliff notes and his frat buddies to give him the answers to (not so tough) questions? <_< Ok, Giving you the benefit of the doubt... :ph34r:

1) What Geocaching is, how it works, what you need to do it

2) Containers, types, sizes, what not to use...

3) Cache types, traditional, multi, puzzle, earth

4) What not to do (should get loud aplause from those that frequent these forums

5) Types/brands of GPSr's (kind of relates to #1)

etc. etc.

Yes, I really am a student that geocaches. I am a non-traditional student in my 40s. I've never, ever used cliff notes, have no frat buddies, and am graduating in December with a bachelor's degree in communication. I have been caching since July 2009. I only have 280 finds logged, but have found caches in 16 states and two Canadian provinces.

The idea of this course is to teach students to use the newest technology, including social media sites, to get their message out. Thanks for your suggestions. It is exactly what I was hoping for. I am the only member of our group that has ever been geocaching (that will change soon!) so I wanted some input from other cachers.

I want to apologize for my out-of-line remarks above. Your edited post does a much better job of explaining why you started this thread that it did when I wrote my reply.

1)Ideas for GEOCACHING-RELATED topics to discuss

This forum should provide a wealth of topics worthy of discussion.

One very pertinant and topical subject would be a discussion on the recent "power caching" phenomenon and how that has (or has not) changed geocaching.

Sorry... The connection is that the podcasts will be ABOUT Geocaching. My bad... Should have made that clear.

You have a bad? A bad what? A bad cold? A bad assignment? OK, sorry... pet peeve. I HATE that phrase. The correct phrase is, "sorry, my mistake", not "my bad". But I'm probably just old fashioned.

"The group with the most hits on their podcasts will not have to take the final."

Are you serious? That is what college has come to? He who gets the most hits wins? Sigh... I guess it really IS all about the numbers.

Someone forget to take their Geritol this Wednesday morning? :anibad:

*** Geesh, I'm 2 days behind.

Edited by GeoBain

As I sat here thinking of what kinds of podcasts I'd be likely to link to friends/family about

geocaching: I recommend a good dose of humor, storytelling, or both. Maybe it's because I'm so visually oriented, but the thought of listening to someone give short straight-up informational talks about the basics of caching sounds... boring. Except for the one vodcast, it's just audio, correct?

I'm assuming your target audience is people unfamiliar with caching, and not existing cachers?