Can you rent GPS devices?

cutedanni22

I have been dragged into doing a similar sort of thing for a school my dad is an assistant at, he is organizing a group of students to go out and find geocaches that I have put out (non-official as the land would need permission from people who ignore emails).

We toyed with the idea of 2nd hand etrex's off ebay for less than £10 or some keyring gps's that I cant find any more... but given these students are 15-16 year old, its more than likely they will have smartphones that have the ability to use gps apps

Check out the local Geocaching groups, or your local parks and rec department. When I lived in Ohio the Parks department put on geocaching classes and offered loaner GPS units for use during park hours. Here in MO I've noticed the geocaching association puts the classes on and it looks like they have the units available for the classes. You might even get someone to assist you with the class.

Looks like cutedanni22 is from Georgia, in the Alpharetta area.

Perhaps a few of your local cachers might be able to help you out.

How about posting a call for help in the South and Southeast subforum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=22

I think that you might appreciate having an experienced cacher help you.

If nothing else, the ins and outs of working the gps might take a bit of a learning curve. It would be good to have a handle on it, instead of trying to learn its workings AND find caches with an audience of youngsters. Finding the caches beforehand might be a good idea.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Try your local library.

You'd be surprised what kind of wacky things they're into nowadays, that have nothing to do with books.

I work in a library and the rumors are all true.

We have a couple of Garmin 76 handheld GPS receivers available for 3 day loans. I wrote the software that managed the equipment availability for the GPS receivers and other non-book resources we loan (cameras, audio recorders, laptops, study rooms). It'll tell you when something is available, and if it's checked out, when it's scheduled to be returned. http://mannlib.cornell.edu/equipment-software/equipment-loans/gps/garmin-gps