CO claiming a find

Sniggle&Snoet

One of our local cachers is claiming finds on their own hides. This seems odd to me, but I would like to know what really experienced cachers have to say about it.

In all honestly it doesn't bother me but I can say it is generally seen as an extremely noob thing to do. It's been seen that way since way before I started caching.

Sometimes trying to do maintenance on them blasted nano's you feel like you have to claim a find. I went to put a new log in one of mine, couldn't find it, put a new nano out... now there is all sorts of problems with new "NM" logs as the log is full and people saying they found 2... even though the listing and log says whats happens

Tempted to archive it to save the hassle

IMHO, it's kind of silly to claim a find on something you hid yourself - you really should know where it is. I do know of some CO's who claim finds on their own Challenge Caches - not because of the find, but because they met the conditions of the challenge itself some of which are extremely difficulty to meet. Whenever I create a Challenge Cache, our local reviewer asks if I've met the conditions myself - which I have - so I don't find it necessary to log a find on it - but that's just me and YMMV.

I have seen a CO claim FTF on their own cache, even though the coords were really off so no one else could find it!! Unbelievable. He just could not understand why people were complaining.

Someone nearby was logging several finds for each cache, since they counted one find for each person in the family. (one account, but 4 family members = 4 "Find it" logs for one cache)

I think the most ridiculous thing is when a cache owner logs a FIND every time they go back to check on their cache, week after week. Seems silly.

Sometimes trying to do maintenance on them blasted nano's you feel like you have to claim a find. I went to put a new log in one of mine, couldn't find it, put a new nano out... now there is all sorts of problems with new "NM" logs as the log is full and people saying they found 2... even though the listing and log says whats happens

Pull one or the other. Clear the NM flag.

Pull one or the other. Clear the NM flag.

I did, you would think having 2 caches there would make it easier to find :D

Yes... a bit odd... it happens... Are they fairly new cachers? Maybe they don't realise that most cachers think it's "not the done thing"... Oh well. Never mind. Worse things happen at sea.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they're just being silly or something.

It would be even odder if they were claiming FTFs on them. ;)

Okay, that would be hilarious!

Yes... a bit odd... it happens... Are they fairly new cachers? Maybe they don't realise that most cachers think it's "not the done thing"... Oh well. Never mind. Worse things happen at sea.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they're just being silly or something.

Okay, that would be hilarious!

There was a cache in my area that required a boat or a short swim to get to the location and the cache was underwater. The daughter of the person that placed it was there when it was placed it came back the next day and not only found it but also claimed FTF.

For one of the early power trails that had 800 or so caches, several people were in involved in the placements but since the site doesn't allow multiple accounts to get "credit" for the hide, all of them logged a find on every cache on the trail.

Doing so is totally bizarre, and almost no one does it. Here is the official Groundspeak knowledge bookson the matter. HOWEVER this subject has come up hundreds of times. And these threads tend to attract the "anyone can do anything they want and it doesn't affect anyone" crowd like flies. Fine and dandy if you want to argue with someone just for the heck of it, but the reality is that like .00001% of Geocachers go around logging finds on their own caches. :o

One of our local cachers is claiming finds on their own hides. This seems odd to me, but I would like to know what really experienced cachers have to say about it.

I think it's silly but harmless.

There are a few scenarios where it might be appropriate though. Sometimes an account has multiple users (a family for example). Say the wife hides the cache and the husband goes out a few days later with the kids to find it I can see them logging a find.

And of course there are many people who adopt caches that they previously found, so they may own one or more caches that they logged finds on. If you were to go through my profile you'd find several caches where I logged finds. That is because I adopted the caches some time after I found them.

You presume that experienced cachers all agree. Some don't care, some think it's a sin and indicates what a horrible person you are in all aspects of life (I'm not exaggerating), and everything in between.

Whenever I create a Challenge Cache, our local reviewer asks if I've met the conditions myself - which I have - so I don't find it necessary to log a find on it - but that's just me and YMMV.

What i fyou hadn't, would the reviewer refuse to release the challenge?

From the Knowledge Books, "Reviewers may ask the cache owner to demonstrate that they have previously met the challenge and/or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so."

Haven't had one refused because I've been able to demonstrate that I've met the challenge (except for the ones that I have created that take a year to complete, e.g. Ontario's Public Holidays Challenge Cache), and that others have expressed an interest in my challenge.

From my current forum signature:

'Logging your own cache is the Geocaching equivalent of a bad toupee. You think it makes you look better. Everybody is pointing and laughing at you " - Chief301

Is there a good toupee?

toupee or not toupee..... that is the question!

Edited by CrewK9
Whenever I create a Challenge Cache, our local reviewer asks if I've met the conditions myself - which I have - so I don't find it necessary to log a find on it - but that's just me and YMMV.

What i fyou hadn't, would the reviewer refuse to release the challenge?

From the Knowledge Books, "Reviewers may ask the cache owner to demonstrate that they have previously met the challenge and/or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so."

Haven't had one refused because I've been able to demonstrate that I've met the challenge (except for the ones that I have created that take a year to complete, e.g. Ontario's Public Holidays Challenge Cache), and that others have expressed an interest in my challenge.

I am aware of what the guidelines say, it doesn't say you have to have already done it yourself, it is simply meant to imply that the challenge should be achievable. I can see asking this for some obscure challenge where the requirments seem unachievable but for a fairly stragiht forward challenge (like the ones that I looked at that you've published) it seems an unreasonable requirement to me (assuming that the reviewer would have refused to publish were you to have said no).

I am the CO of two challenges, have not completed the requirements for either one and was not asked if I had by the reviewers who published them. The same was true of the owners of the Fizzy, Delorme and Counties challneges in our state. I don't think any of them had the requirements complete when the caches published although they might have done them by now.

It is my intent to complete the requirments for both of my challenges someday but when I do, I will not be logging them as finds. I'll simply add my name to the list of cachers that have completed it on the cache page.

Since it's not about the numbers, why would anyone care?

If someone posted pics of themself wearing wool socks and sandals in the summertime, would that be of a concern also?

Socks with sandals looks bad no matter what time of the year it is.

Same goes for logging a find on your own cache.

Well so what if someone does that? It's a bit different than littering the page with fake finds. To what end will they promote change? Ridicule? Castigation? Alienation? The numbers are not a measure of anything anyhow. Some girls are sexy with socks and sandals. :D

MrsB

What would it matter anyway? FTF is a side game, it has nothing to do with GS.

I don't think cache owners should log their own caches, but if you're going to log your own cache what does it matter if they are first to find or last to find?

No, these are not adopted caches; she has claimed finds on most of her own caches. And guess where the accummulated favourite points are spent? I guess part of it is that I am surprised that the system even allows you to claim a find on your own cache. Or give a favourite point to your own cache. And I worry that newcomers in our area will look at this and think that it is the normal thing to do. She has been caching longer than most in the area, and could therefore start a trend in the area. I do realize that worse things have happened at sea as The Blorenges said, but I didn't realize that only earthshaking events in the annals of geocaching could be discussed here.

Edited by SniggleOgSnoet

:unsure: Is it possible that the cacher adopted the caches from the original owner subsequent to their find? :unsure:

Finding a cache and and then later taking over ownership does not mean that the original stat isn't legit. Leave it. Placing a cache and then going out and thinking you have the right to Find it. No.

Edited by BlueDeuce