Rules against commercial caches

Motorcycledude

I am all for ruling out caches with the sole purpose of promoting a commercial business, but things are getting ridiculous now.

Some bizarre examples I have gathered lately of caches that have been denied:

* A cache outside a non-commercial amateur theatre society, mainly consisting of highschool kids was denied since the name of the theatre was mentioned. Yes, they do charge a nominal ticket price for their performances a few times a year, to cover their costs but come on! These are people doing something with their spare time for fun, much like a geocaching event where you are asked to chip in for the rent of venue.

* A cache in a small town where an old man used to run a legendary business repairing cars. He is now 90 years old and retired - plus the place burned to the ground last spring and now consists of a concrete slab and 2 burnt our car wrecks. However in the cache description it was mentioned "Erik started *insert company name* in 1946". Apparently the firm is still registered and that was enough for the description to be denied.

* I created an event during a big festival, you were not required to enter the area, but I could not name the festival in the name or the description (as if ppl wouldn't notice that there was a rock festival with 40 thousand visitors next to the event).

These are just a few examples. Also, I want to make it clear this is not meant as critisism against the reviewers. They are only doing what they are told to. It is the rules that are silly and anal.

At the same time Groundspeak specifically state that the no good challenges can be fully commercial. Double standards anyone?

Edited by Motorcycledude

* A cache in a small town where an old man used to run a legendary business repairing cars. He is now 90 years old and retired - plus the place burned to the ground last spring and now consists of a concrete slab and 2 burnt our car wrecks. However in the cache description it was mentioned "Erik started *insert company name* in 1946". Apparently the firm is still registered and that was enough for the description to be denied.

Maybe you can try thinking outside the box. There is a cache series in my area called "Usta B". One is placed at a building that Usta B Pruden Hardware...but the cache name is Usta B Nuts and Bolts. In the description it tells a little about the store including its name and that its is now closed and if you visit it you might find the sign Mr Pruden put on the door the day he closed "Gone Fishing won't be back"...Just a thought.

There are many ways to list a cache, just like there are many ways to approach one....some are harder then others....just find the easier path.

Ok, let's say they allow exceptions. Who decides what's an appropriate exception, and what's not?

A rule that is applied universally is fair. It can be silly, but it's fair. A rule applied subjectively is always perceived as not fair. Simple.

The same problem already exists as it is today. This means you cannot put a cache outside The Smithsonian, Empire State Building, The Eiffel Tower, The Sydney Opera etc. and write about that in the description.

And you already have situations where you have to be subjective. Can I place a cache next to an orchard and name it after a fruit that also happens to be the name of a manufacturer of crappy overpriced cellphones staring with an "i"?

Groundspeak should allow reviewers to use common sense. It used to work very well up until they decided this was no longer possible some months ago.

And no - it isn't fair when at the same time challenges can be commercial. I cannot call a cache "The Eiffel tower" but I can create a challenge where you take a picture of yourself while ordering a Big Mac Menu.