Increase in Premium Member only caches

Dave1Zippy

Hi,

Noticed more and more caches near me are for Premium members only. What is the story here? Do you get a special incentive for this or are they sooo special they want to restrict numbers finding the cache. I cant see what is in it for those that coneal it other than to spoil the fun for 'ordinary' members like me. :mad:

Some people are of the opinion that making there caches PM only helps to protect them from being muggled or cleaned out of swag. The idea is the people who have invested the money in a PM are more likely to take better care of the cache and place it back where it belongs. They also think that PMs will log trackables correctly and will not get stolen. Often a Co will change there cache to a PM only cache if they think its being stolen buy people who got the basic membership just to trash caches and take what they can from them.

This is a topic that comes up often. You can do a form search for PM only caches and find all sorts of people arguing over PM only caches. Bottom line it does come down to one simple thing. If you want to have access to the caches then pay the $30 for one year. Or if you have purchased a new Magellan or Garmin unit then you can get a 30 day free trial. Some Magellan units have a code in them. With the Garmin units its a simple link you use after registering your device. But $30 for a 1 year membership is pretty cheap. Its not that hard to come up with that money. I know i live paycheck to paycheck. But there are always ways to cut back on something to give you that extra bit of money. Drink one less beer a day cut back on smoking and that money becomes available pretty fast.

Here is that link for the Garmin free trial.

http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

based on the area you've cached recently i see one multi only that is a PM cache

I live in Solihull, West Midlands, UK but visit Devon often where my parents live. I have not overly indulged in GC, bit I have just acquired a dog and hoped to do a bit more while I walk him. The area I live has a lot of PMs and it is frustrating. I know £30 a year is not a lot, but I an in principle opposed to paying for such things unless I see an added value.

based on the area you've cached recently i see one multi only that is a PM cache

I live in Solihull, West Midlands, UK but visit Devon often where my parents live. I have not overly indulged in GC, bit I have just acquired a dog and hoped to do a bit more while I walk him. The area I live has a lot of PMs and it is frustrating. I know £30 a year is not a lot, but I an in principle opposed to paying for such things unless I see an added value.

Pocket Queries and finding Caches Along A Route are your added value for a Premium Membership in my opinion. (Depending on the GPS, you may be able to store the full info on the cache, including description, hint, and some logs as well.)

Even if you only get a 1 year membership or a 30 day trial you can use it to your benefit. You can create a bunch of PQs for the areas you cache is that cover all the PM only caches and keep them saved on your PC. So after the membership laps' you will still have access to the PM only caches for as long as they stay active and there locations are not changed.

Hi,

Noticed more and more caches near me are for Premium members only. What is the story here? Do you get a special incentive for this or are they sooo special they want to restrict numbers finding the cache. I cant see what is in it for those that coneal it other than to spoil the fun for 'ordinary' members like me. :mad:

There are many threads on this subject, at least one or two that are pretty recent. I don't know if the number of PM caches near you is increasing or not, but the cherry costs extra. That's just the way life is.

Hi,

Oh wow. There's another reason to add to my list. :rolleyes:

All of my recent hides are PMO. I like to see who is viewing my caches.

Hi,

You fun spoiler, you! :mad:

All these theories are nice and one or two have at least some merit but the bottom line is people want to see the audit log, either becuse they want to use it to keep better track of itmes in the cache or becuase they just like to see all the people that are looking at their caches.

We have twenty hides, all basic but have thought of making one premium and only for that reason. Mostly just curious how the feature works and see who is looking.

For me the value added is contributing to keep GC.com online. We may not agree with the quality of some of the things they do but I think we can all agree we enjoy the value added of keeping it going.

Is this thread not recent enough?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=281357

And on page 2 of that thread, an excellent reason for PMO caches, which might be relevant to the OP of today's thread:

I'm glad you took the comments from posters in good humour.

I looked at your finds and at the surrounding caches - yes, there is an unusually large number of PM only caches around you - and this is one reason why...

Over the last 18 months the "West Midlands" region of UK (and some other UK areas) suffered from the attention of a group of people who were deliberately destroying caches. This caused many owners to restrict their caches to PM only. See post: here. I haven't heard anything of that group's activity recently so I don't know whether they are still active but I suspect many of the COs will leave their caches as PM only.

MrsB :)

Edited by Pup Patrol
I live in Solihull' date=' West Midlands, UK but visit Devon often where my parents live. I have not overly indulged in GC, bit I have just acquired a dog and hoped to do a bit more while I walk him. The area I live has a lot of PMs and it is frustrating. I know £30 a year is not a lot, but I an in principle opposed to paying for such things unless I see an added value. [/quote']

I started off not being a Premium Member, but when I hit 100 finds, I knew that it was time to give back. Geocaching is supposed to be fun and inexpensive fun at that. I do not know the numbers, but if all the Finds were divided into all the money spent on Geocaching, I would think it comes to less than $1.00 a find, and could be as low as ten cents a find. So it is not an expensive hobby. BUT, running a Web Site like Geocaching.Com does cost a LOT of money. I do not know the annual Budget of Geocaching.com/Groundspeak, but I am sure it runs in to the Millions of Dollars per year. Salaries, Benefits, Taxes, Utilities, Rent, IT Equipment, Coffee, Toilet Paper, etc... add up. While there is no hard and fast rule, I would think that if you are finding less than 10 caches a year, don't bother with becoming a Premium Member. Enjoy the sport and enjoy the free information. BUT, if you start doing more caches, you will find that becoming a Premium Member has many advantages, mostly PQ's and watching your cache visits.

Now, for my RANT. When I see PREMIUM MEMBER only, I don't expect to find a "Micro/Log Only" stuck under a Lamp Post Skirt. How does Dictionary.com define PREMIUM:

pre·mi·um

noun

1.a prize, bonus, or award given as an inducement, as to purchase products, enter competitions initiated by business interests, etc.

2.a bonus, gift, or sum additional to price, wages, interest, or the like.

3.Insurance . the amount paid or to be paid by the policyholder for coverage under the contract, usually in periodic installments.

4.Economics . the excess value of one form of money over another of the same nominal value.

5.a sum above the nominal or par value of a thing.

adjective

10. of exceptional quality or greater value than others of its kind; superior: a wine made of premium grapes.

11. of higher price or cost.

12. of or pertaining to premiums: to work in premium sales.

If you want to put out a premium member only cache, MAKE IT A PREMIUM. The most time I ever spent making a Geocache was about 20 hours, and I still did not think it qualified as a PREMIUM Cache. It is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ec3cb9b9-f19c-474d-8330-2d2bb3e5d0d8. So far, it has 13 FAVORITE votes out of 60 finds. So it is a pretty good cache, but not what I would consider PREMIUM.

So while there is no Geocaching RULE that states what a Premium Member cache should be, the very NAME denotes something of quality. When I go out caching and the non PM caches are of better quality (container, hide, log book, swag, etc...) than the PM caches, it is quite disappointing.

We all enjoy this great sport, so most of us agree that it is a good thing to become a PM, just to say THANK YOU to those that created and maintain the resources that allow us to get away from the computer and get out in the world to experience life.

technically it's "premium member", not "premium cache". In which case, I think it's more appropriate to say that a Premium Member has the added right to restrict finds as they see fit to other Premium Members.

That's technically speaking.

I fully agree that PM caches that are LPCs are stupid. But if it's a matter of testing, or concern for its lifetime, I could understand. Even so, ideally they'd be made public after a while. I did that with a series of mine, initially published as PMO. After a while I opened it up. My main reasoning was I wanted to see how long they would last not being publicly visible on the site. There was no issue after a while, so I opened it to the public.

It's not a Premium Cache. It's a Premium Members Only cache. We just want them to be Premium Caches ;)

Don't forget you can also get a 3 month membership for only $10. Want to know what the big deal is about being a PM? Then try it out for 3 months. Everybody can afford $10. Then you can decide if it brings any value to you.

Also, if you aren't caching very often then I don't see why it is a big deal anyway. I am sure there are plenty of non PMO caches around. We waited a couple months before getting the membership. We first wanted to see if it was something we really were going to continue doing. We even used the free iPhone app for the first couple weeks for that same reason. We were hooked very quickly and bought the $10 app after a couple weeks. We then decided we wanted the ability to create PQs and be notified of new caches. It has been worth the inexpensive $30. I too have a policy of not spending money on things that don't bring any value or on things we don't NEED. I also teach my children this. We also recently cancelled cable TV completely in our home as well as our land line phone service. We didn't NEED either one of those. I saw no value in home phone service so that was an easy decision. I also don't want my children to sit in front of the television all day long so decided the value of having cable service did not bring a positive value to our family so decided recently to cancel that. I love the fact that Geocaching gets us outside as a family and that brings a LOT of value to our family. So that fact combined with the fact that we are now saving almost $150 per month not having the phone and cable service made the decision to get the Premium Membership a very easy one.

Ok....so this doesn't exactly answer your original question but thought I would share to give you something to think about and present another point of view.

Edited by SmallsKC

Even if you only get a 1 year membership or a 30 day trial you can use it to your benefit. You can create a bunch of PQs for the areas you cache is that cover all the PM only caches and keep them saved on your PC. So after the membership laps' you will still have access to the PM only caches for as long as they stay active and there locations are not changed.

This is not entirely true. While yes, you can run a bunch of PQ's and download PM only caches to your PC or GPSr, but once your 30 days membership lapses, you will no longer be able to open the PM cache pages at gc.com and log them.

I know £30 a year is not a lot, but I an in principle opposed to paying for such things unless I see an added value.

its not £30 per year its $30USD per year which at current exchange rate is £19.04.

your principle is a sound one, but you can't really complain that those that chose to pay get some extra perks, one being the ability to place PM caches

having said that, i am willing to bet that placing PM caches is not what makes people become PM's, in my opinion is one of the less significant benefits

This is not entirely true. While yes, you can run a bunch of PQ's and download PM only caches to your PC or GPSr, but once your 30 days membership lapses, you will no longer be able to open the PM cache pages at gc.com and log them.

You are correct but you can save the individual cache information so you will still have that information. As far as not being able to log them online, you are correct you cannot log them but you can still find the cache and sign the physical log. Isn't that the most important part of caching? I don't know how COs feel about that though. Don't really know what the unwritten rules are as I am still a newbie myself.

Edited by SmallsKC

OP's area. (Not too far from my location...)

6146927843_7580bd711c.jpg

Close to built-up/city areas, a few local CO's around here have made their caches PMO due to the trashing of caches, believed -but not proven- to be done by those using the free phone apps, which allow you to find the coordinates and caches without signing in to Geocaching.com...

Find the cache, find a trackable in there, take it, forget about it, trash the cache, move on to the next... Find another 'game' to pass the time for a day or two.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

You are correct but you can save the individual cache information so you will still have that information. As far as not being able to log them online, you are correct you cannot log them but you can still find the cache and sign the physical log. Isn't that the most important part of caching? I don't know how COs feel about that though. Don't really know what the unwritten rules are as I am still a newbie myself.

There is, and always will be -according to Jeremy the boss- a 'Backdoor' method to log PMO caches, if you should be able to find them...

There is a GS "allowed" work-around, that allows non-PM members to log PM caches online. A search of the forums will reveal several threads (including this one).

I know £30 a year is not a lot, but I an in principle opposed to paying for such things unless I see an added value.

its not £30 per year its $30USD per year which at current exchange rate is £19.04.

your principle is a sound one, but you can't really complain that those that chose to pay get some extra perks, one being the ability to place PM caches

having said that, i am willing to bet that placing PM caches is not what makes people become PM's, in my opinion is one of the less significant benefits

Right! Take the point on the £19 and interesting comment on the West Midlands activity in one response. Thanks for the PoV everyone - retreating back into my corner for now!

a very isolated reason, but a reason not mentioned. I created a challenge cache which effectively required you to make a pocket query....you can only make pocket queries if you are a PMO so I had to make the cache a PMO.

Some TB issues in our area so folks try to make them PMO because the main TB hoarder (defined in this case as someone who will hang on to them a year before moving) does not have premium member status.

No value added.... Then why geocache? I would pay this small amount even without the perks just to help keep the website running. Too many people, and I am not saying the OP is one of them, think that everything on the internet should be free. Running servers and programing cost quite a bit of money.

Dave1Zippy...this is NOT directed at you in any way. I am just participating in a discussion. Please do not take this personally!!!

I used to be a Software/System Engineer and also did independent contracting plus own and run another business and do have a website for that business. My husband is a Network Design Architect and has also spent many years as a Network System Engineer. We know all too well the costs involved. There are so many expenses that people really don't realize and/or understand. Running a site/business such as geocaching.com costs way more than most realize. I agree that there are too many people think things on the internet should be free and many of those people also have entitlement issues and believe everything should just be handed to them and shouldn't cost them anything.

The person taking the time to make the hide and maintain the Cache makes the rules. There are plenty to go around. I like doing this is great past time for old retired guy like me so the 30 dollars a year I spends is worth it to me to keep this site up and running. With out it there would be no Geo Caching.

No value added.... Then why geocache? I would pay this small amount even without the perks just to help keep the website running. Too many people, and I am not saying the OP is one of them, think that everything on the internet should be free. Running servers and programing cost quite a bit of money.

Dave1Zippy...this is NOT directed at you in any way. I am just participating in a discussion. Please do not take this personally!!!

I used to be a Software/System Engineer and also did independent contracting plus own and run another business and do have a website for that business. My husband is a Network Design Architect and has also spent many years as a Network System Engineer. We know all too well the costs involved. There are so many expenses that people really don't realize and/or understand. Running a site/business such as geocaching.com costs way more than most realize. I agree that there are too many people think things on the internet should be free and many of those people also have entitlement issues and believe everything should just be handed to them and shouldn't cost them anything.

I'm a PM but none of my listings are. I pay for the extras that I get from being a PM. Want to know why none of my listings are PMO? :unsure:

Because I CAN! :laughing: Which makes about as much sense as why many listings are PMO. :D

Hi,

You fun spoiler, you! :mad:

Hiding PMOs from here on out is just part of my dastardly plans to destroy geocaching.

Below, excerpted from my profile, are my thoughts on the topic.

I support the sport. The reason none of my caches are "Premium Members Only" is to encourage new comers into the sport. I know I didn't experience "love-at-first-cache". The addiction grew slowly and by the time I knew I was hooked it was too late to go back. The sport won't grow without new blood and for most people addictions need time to take hold. Are the folks at Geocaching.com just really nice giving free memberships or do they know what they are doing? Probably a bit of both.

UPDATE:My opinion has changed and I now think most of my caches should be Premium Members Only. The advent and popularity of the Geomate, Jr., now allows people who may have never visited the Geocache.com web site to go out and hunt for caches. People without a vested interest in the sport don't have any real incentive to play-by-the-rules (or even be aware of them). Most of my caches will now be published as Premium Members Only.

... just part of my dastardly plans to destroy geocaching.

Soooo, you ARE the Death of Geocaching!

Or was it the Black Eye of Geocaching?

Drats, now I'm confused.

It is established prophecy from at least 4 separate seers and prognosticators that I will be the one who destroys geocaching. Having accepted my destiny, I am doing my best. However, I may not be quick about it. I prefer the slow painful death of my victims.

So far, I have tried counting coup on trackables, but my nemesis, Groundspeak, just turned it into the discovery feature.

Then, I decided to proliferate a profusion of micros across the geocontinuum with my evel and odious One Degree of Separation project, but alas, the majority of hiders and finders enjoyed themselves.

My latest magnum opus has been to advocate the hiding of PMOs to create a civil war between PMs and those riffraff, the NPMs, that will destroy geocaching.

My all out thermonuclear mutually assured destruction plan (ODS2) has been in preplanning since 2007. 12/21/2012 is the release date. Geocaching doesn't stand a chance. Mwahaha, muahaha!!!

Dr_Evil.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

I support the sport. The reason none of my caches are "Premium Members Only" is to encourage new comers into the sport. I know I didn't experience "love-at-first-cache". The addiction grew slowly and by the time I knew I was hooked it was too late to go back. The sport won't grow without new blood and for most people addictions need time to take hold. Are the folks at Geocaching.com just really nice giving free memberships or do they know what they are doing? Probably a bit of both.

UPDATE:My opinion has changed and I now think most of my caches should be Premium Members Only. The advent and popularity of the Geomate, Jr., now allows people who may have never visited the Geocache.com web site to go out and hunt for caches. People without a vested interest in the sport don't have any real incentive to play-by-the-rules (or even be aware of them). Most of my caches will now be published as Premium Members Only.

Well, there's an agenda! Hating on the Geomate Jr. is so 2009 though. :P Please hate on the Iphone or Droid Smartphone Apps, in 2011. Don't bother with hating on the Windows Phone App, they'll probably only sell like 2 of those.

I think what Snoogans is trying to say is he gave away 13,000 film Canisters at a GeoWoodstock. Probably IV or V, but don't quote me on that. :o

Well, there's an agenda! Hating on the Geomate Jr. is so 2009 though. :P Please hate on the Iphone or Droid Smartphone Apps, in 2011. Don't bother with hating on the Windows Phone App, they'll probably only sell like 2 of those.

I think what Snoogans is trying to say is he gave away 13,000 film Canisters at a GeoWoodstock. Probably IV or V, but don't quote me on that. :o

Hate??????????? Whew, guess I was told!

I know of a pretty well respected CO (at least well respected by me) who has tons of great hides out on public hunting land & in the woods of southern Wisconsin. His hides vary in size and type but there are quite a few ammo cans. All of the sudden a few ammo cans vanished without a trace. The CO replaced them and a few weeks later the ammo cans vanished again. :mad: At $14.00 each (and I know as I just bought two (.50 cal) ammo cans today) he figured he had a case of an ammo can cache maggot on his hands. So he archived them and then rehid new caches in slightly different locations and made them PMO caches. Thus far he's not had any issues.