The importance of land owner's permission

geoawareCA

The lesson here is that a land manager has the right to ask for an EarthCache to be removed. In North America, NSS also has that right for any cave as per the agreement it has with the EarthCache team.

surely you mean USA, not North America

i am not aware of NSS having any jurisdiction on the caves in Canada, if they do i would like to see it

The lesson here is that a land manager has the right to ask for an EarthCache to be removed. In North America, NSS also has that right for any cave as per the agreement it has with the EarthCache team.

i am not aware of NSS having any jurisdiction on the caves in Canada, if they do i would like to see it

From the GSA EarthCache FAQs:

Can I develop an EarthCache in a cave area?

Cave areas are very sensitive. For this reason EarthCaches developed around caves in North America will go through an additional approval stage with the National Speleological Society to ensure that research and other factors are not being affected by people visiting the cache.

While the NSS probably doesn't have any legal jurisdiction over Canadian caves (and probably none over American caves, either), it sounds like Groundspeak/GSA have a private agreement with NSS to allow them to review cave-related EarthCaches.

From the GSA EarthCache FAQs:

Can I develop an EarthCache in a cave area?

Cave areas are very sensitive. For this reason EarthCaches developed around caves in North America will go through an additional approval stage with the National Speleological Society to ensure that research and other factors are not being affected by people visiting the cache.

While the NSS probably doesn't have any legal jurisdiction over Canadian caves (and probably none over American caves, either), it sounds like Groundspeak/GSA have a private agreement with NSS to allow them to review cave-related EarthCaches.

extremely flawed agreement, NSS may know what is going on in the US not Canada

in terms of environmental issues, except the money part, how is a cave owned by someone and charging a fee for tours any different than any cave out there that anyone can enter at their own free will

Cave Laws are governed by State and Federal Laws, and NSS is the watch dog so to speak. Groundspeak, GSA, and NSS are all partnered in some way with caves in the US. http://www.caves.org/region/mar/cave_sign_va.pdf

Virginia is not in Canada

Edited by t4e