Ammo Can Gasket Question

nfa

I am a teacher and am working with a student with latex allergies. I want to know for certain what US ammo can gaskets are made from, and thought of gc.com.

I though I remembered hearing silicone, but am not sure...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie - nfa

Maybe best not to open a cache at all then. Could be many things made of latex in the swag. Another reason for swag free caches!

We're not caching, we're using it to store food for them at a sleepover camp, to keep it away from mice and such in the cabin. This student needs a food supply throughout the night, so an ammo-can seemed like a possible solution.

Jamie - nfa

Under these circumstances, I would suggest a thoroughly-washed cookie tin with a tight-fitting lid.

No rubber gasket, so no possible latex issues.

The metal container will certainly keep rodents out.

Much less noisy as the contents are accessed throughout the night! :)

I'm pretty sure an ammo can's seal is neoprene, but it could be Buna-n.

good thinking...thanks!

J

We're not caching, we're using it to store food for them at a sleepover camp, to keep it away from mice and such in the cabin. This student needs a food supply throughout the night, so an ammo-can seemed like a possible solution.

Jamie - nfa

If you're staying inside a cabin, then you don't need to do much more than store the food in a Rubbermaid Roughneck box. A "half-size" one is perfect for food, as there's not a lot of digging to do to get stuff out.

If you're really concerned, then you can put something heavy on the lid.

We've stayed in a cabin with a very active mouse for a week. All our food was either in the cooler or in Roughneck containers. We had no problems with Dumbo getting into them.

Edited by Pup Patrol

If you're staying inside a cabin, then you don't need to do much more than store the food in a Rubbermaid Roughneck box. A "half-size" one is perfect for food, as there's not a lot of digging to do to get stuff out.

I think that's a good idea, too. You don't know what all was stored in a surplus ammo can, but a lot of it was very much not food. Then you can save the ammo can to use in the way it was intended -- as a Geocache. :P

This child can suffer from exposure to the latex particles from a balloon in the same room as them...so I'm trying to be sure.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Jamie

Not sure what they are made of. But I too am highly allergic to latex. Been in the ER with anaphylactic shock from latex gloves. I get itchy eyes and scratchy throat if anyone is handling balloons nearby (not necessarily just in the same room). I have had absolutely no reaction to ammo can seals.

Maybe best not to open a cache at all then. Could be many things made of latex in the swag. Another reason for swag free caches!

Jamie - nfa

In that case I would use a lock n lock.

This child can suffer from exposure to the latex particles from a balloon in the same room as them...so I'm trying to be sure.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Jamie

Not sure what they are made of. But I too am highly allergic to latex. Been in the ER with anaphylactic shock from latex gloves. I get itchy eyes and scratchy throat if anyone is handling balloons nearby (not necessarily just in the same room). I have had absolutely no reaction to ammo can seals.

My wife is also highly allergic to latex and has never had a problem with an ammo box.

However for food storage I would use a loc & Loc or an ice chest not because of latex but due to the original contents and oils of the ammo box.

Edited by captnemo