Loading maps in Garmin Montana 600

baloo&bd

Now that I have the Montana, I want to take advantage of the 16GB memory card. I have many maps, mostly topo, from GPSFILEDEPOT. Since I travel, and anticipate even more this year, I want to take advantage of having multiple states on the GPS.

When I use either Basemap or MapSource, I keep bumping up against the 4GB limit. In MapSource, it doesn't tell me until after all my selections (what a pain).

How do I work around this? Ideally I think I can cam most of the lower 48 in the 16GB card.

At the bottom of the selection window in MapSource is a running total of the number of segments/quads and their total size.

You will likely get to the 4000? (more like 3860) segment limit before you reach 4Gb.

For the 'newer' units (OC, OR, DK, 78, 62, MT), send a mapset to the unit. MS/BC uses 'gmapsupp.img'

as the file name - rename this to somename with a .img extension. The the same for additional mapsets.

I'm not sure what the map segment limit is for the Montana series but I have 6.2 GB of maps and another 8GB of Birdseye imagery on a 16GB card. Everything seems to work fine for me.

City Navigator is a 1.4GB mapset with very few segments. Add that to a Topo US 24K mapset and your well over 4GB already.

Each individual ".IMG" file must be less than 4GB. So as long as you load one map product at a time you can load multiple .IMG files that go way over 4GB in total. Load the mapset you want onto the SD card and rename it something pertinent, "mymapsetname.img". As you load the maps you will rename one gmapsupp after another until your done.

EXAMPLE: Select an entire mapset for Arizona and rename the gmapsupp.img to ArizonaTopo.img. After that's done go and load the mapset for Nevada and rename the gmapsupp.img to NevadaTopo.img. Etc, and so on.