PocketQuery Constipation

HartClimbs

I've only been using GC.COM for a few months but the last few days the PocketQueries seem to be delivered very late.

Any word as to what's up? I normally have two "regular" pocketqueries that run each day (and I'd been getting the results first thing in the morning - now I don't get the email until the evening). As an example, I haven't gotten my FRIDAY queries yet. icon_frown.gif Also, the "adhoc" queries I'd run used to come back within a few minutes - now they also seem to take all day to run.

Is there something I'm doing differently that's causing the queries to be delivered so late?

I've been doing three queries weekly on Fridays for the past 6 to 8 weeks. Numbers 39 and 176 consistently arrive between 3 and 4 AM EST while my third, number 7777 rolls in early evening. Any spur of the moment queries (e.g. early Sunday morning) all seem to arrive within a few minutes.

Based on that I would say the system is working pretty darn good.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

>snip<

Based on that I would say the system is working pretty darn good.

>snip<

As long as your queries are running fine - then I'm happy. icon_razz.gif

I probably should have just dropped an email to Jeremy directly - I'll do so since things still seem to be slow (and as I said, maybe I'm doing something wrong).

We're making a lot of changes to the back-end on the site, which may cause longer delays in pocket queries going out each day. The changes will eventually make them emailed faster in the future. Sorry for the delays.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I had PQs set up to run on Saturday and they didn't. I am now going to try to set them up to run today and see if they go. But I still did not get my 5 queries I wanted on Saturday. They want to play the limit game that's fine. But then you have to give me the service as you have set it up. I don't get to have those back. I don't get a credit for the ones that I requested but were not sent to me. I guess that is just another way to save precious bandwidth. Or maybe there really is a list and they start messing with you if you request 5 different PQs everyday.

quote:
Originally posted by dustyjacket:

The only problem I have had is selecting "all cache types" misses some. Now I select each type instead of "all".

Of course, I don't have them run every day. Each one runs once a week.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

I just tried your trick to see if I can get back to getting all my unfounds (there are less than 500) and now I'm not even getting the queries at all.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I just tried your trick to see if I can get back to getting all my unfounds (there are less than 500) and now I'm not even getting the queries at all.

Pocket Queries are running about 9 hours late today, so the problem may not be the changes that you made.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

How dependent I have become on the Pocket Queries in the last couple of months! You'd think a minor glitch like this would be, well, minor, but it's not to me any more!

The importance of pocket queries is a testimate to the ingenuity of folks like ClayJar, yourself, and others who've built all these neat utilities to make managing cache lists easier!

On a constructive note (rather than just whining about pocketquery constipation), a suggestion (which I think has been made before): Jeremy, would it be possible to add a field to the pocketquery display screen along the lines of "last time/date run"? This way, if you saw the query was run but you didn't receive any output, you know there may be a problem with your predicates. On the other hand, if you see the query didn't run - you know it's not an email or other problem, but just pocketquery constipation?

As Fizzy noted - these queries are a huge value to your subscribers, hope you don't mind the suggestion. Does this sound easily doable?