What is the most you have spent on fuel to hunt for a single cache?

Student Camper

What is the most you have spent on fuel to hunt for a single cache?

I used $140.00+ in boat gas to not find GCYX7A, not to mention food, drink, wear and tear, dog food and all of the other usual expenses associated with an overnight camping trip.

Epic fail, but the Geodog and I had a good time anyway.

Moderator, This was intended to be in Geocaching Topics, please move if appropriate.

Edited by Student Camper

Depends if you define a trip as the purpose of one cache. I have taken airplane trips with one cache as the focus but it was not the only cache I did. I attempted one darn puzzle cache find 7 times and it was like 40 miles round trip every time. Also once drove 250+ miles round trip once for a challenge cache FTF. Won't do that again, but it was a special circumstance.

We spent quite a bit of money to take a special trip from Las Vegas to go to the Toroweap Overlook and the One Giant Step virtual, traveling through two other states and down a "road" that took us 60 miles from the nearest town (which was established by polygamists because of it was out of the way), missing most of that day's professional darts matches (which was the reason for our trip in the first place).

I am not sure that we did it in order to find a single cache, but I am not sure that we would have taken that particular detour if not for the cache. In any event, it was some of the best money that I have ever spent.

A few years back I was heading to Strasbourg and Frankfurt. In order to convince my wife that this was a worthwhile venture, I reminded her that her good friend from her days in Aberdeen Scotland now lived outside of Zurich. So if we flew over a few days early they could visit, and I could find a cache or two in Switzerland while they were chatting. Our first day there it was raining hard, really hard. The next day I DNF'd all three that were in the village where they lived. So before we left to meet our friends in Strasbourg I had to drive 20 min further into Switzerland to find an easy cache in order to color in the country on my maps. I don't have a specific dollar/euro amount, but surely that was the most expensive single find of mine.

This past weekend the wife and I decided to drive into Indiana from our home in Illinois to add another state to our map. While in Indiana I had the great idea of driving up into Michigan to find a cache and add that state to my map. Well one idea led to another and I convinced my wife that Ohio wasn't all that far away. In one day we did a four state, 380 mile Geocaching adventure. It turned out to be a lot of fun.

A few years back I was heading to Strasbourg and Frankfurt. In order to convince my wife that this was a worthwhile venture, I reminded her that her good friend from her days in Aberdeen Scotland now lived outside of Zurich. So if we flew over a few days early they could visit, and I could find a cache or two in Switzerland while they were chatting. Our first day there it was raining hard, really hard. The next day I DNF'd all three that were in the village where they lived. So before we left to meet our friends in Strasbourg I had to drive 20 min further into Switzerland to find an easy cache in order to color in the country on my maps. I don't have a specific dollar/euro amount, but surely that was the most expensive single find of mine.

I did something similar for a cache in Tanzania. I was in the country for about four days and although most of the trip was funded by a grant for the work I was doing there, I arranged a trip to Mikumi National Park (about 50 miles from where I was staying) which included a driver, his fuel costs (which are quite high in Tanzania), entrance fee to the park, etc. Total cost for me was about $150 and I did find the cache. However, when we first arrived at the entrance to the park (where the cache was located) I looked for it for about 15 minutes before we headed in and didn't find it. I did find it after another 15 minutes or so search on the way out. Fortunately our driver wanted to chat with a local for awhile. Although there were a few caches near where I flew in (Dar es Salaam) they were in Zanzibar, about 40 miles away and required a ferry ride, and I was never closer to any other caches than the one at Mikumi National Park.

I have, on more than a couple of occasions, chosen a specific hotel to stay at while traveling in a country I had not previously visited due to it's proximity of a cache. It's never significantly added to the cost of my trip though. When traveling internationally I'll often look for creative itineraries that will allow me to do some geocaching in a new country, if I can do it without adding to the travel budget allowance I'm given. I've been trying to find a way to get from Rome to a small coastal town in Croatia for a trip next month but so far haven't had much success.

My brother and I did a road trip to Glacier National Park 2 years ago. It was just after I'd gotten into caching but I wasn't as hardcore as I am now. We drove over 2600 miles that week, hiked over 40 miles through the park, drank copious amounts of beer in the campground but only found 1 cache the entire time: A PNG at the base of the sign for the campground where we were staying.

I think the average price per gallon of regular unleaded was about $2.50 at that time and we took my car that gets 33 MPG. So we spent roughly $200.00 for fuel that week for one find.