58 benchmarks listed in the wrong county

101 DOR to134 DOR are listed as being in Beaver County,UT, but are in fact in Iron County, UT. Also 30 DOR to 50 DOR & (T32S R15W SEC 20 NW NW1/4) are listed in Beaver County, but show as being in Iron County.

We did a benchmark run in Iron county today to see if the marks were actually listed in the wrong county. We only had time to check 1 line of disks that runs from Modena north into Beaver County. We checked some at each end of the section of that line that is in Iron County. Before we could get to Lund to check the second string the weather turned nasty and we got rain and hail. Those backroads are not the place to be when things get wet and nasty. Even though we did not get to check the Lund line, we are sure they also are listed in the wrong county.

We found and verified 9 marks along the Modena line as being in Iron County. There are 3 marks (X 75, Y 75, Z 75) listed as Beaver County and show as actually being in Millard County according to the description and coordinates.

This makes 58 benchmarks listed for Beaver County that need to be re-listed to their proper counties.

Now the work begins logging the marks and caches we found the past couple of days. :D

John

John, do you use the current version of DSWorld? It has a way to submit correct state/county listings to the NGS

7ecb0e90-2720-4824-af3b-6efe984543db.jpg

You can also use DSWorld to see the counties on Google Earth, and get lists of all the NGS marks listed for each county....to check and see if they are correct.

66233e7f-6091-4350-bb82-17944b9de31d.jpg

Edited by LSUFan

I've found/run across a few. A couple with typos on the coords. One of my favorites is KV0043. Description is for Grand and Elizabeth in Rahway, NJ.. Coords are for N Moore and Greenwich in Manhattan. I don't see any obvious typo on coords here...

Cannot find the page for the one in Passaic County, but listed as Sussex County. Typo on that one.

Sorry, surveyor, but if you cross the river, you've gone from Somerset to Warren County. That one was correted.

Then, of coure, there's the problem with new counties (or in Virginia: independant cities.) Benchmark was in that county when set, but it's in Roanoke now. Wondering if that might be the problem with Iron County? Was it incorporated after the marks were set?

(We won't go into the grief I got on the easternmost benchmark in Pa, which is really in NY. Got that one corrected!)

This is what we saw on our Delorme mapping program to make us go and stay a couple of nights at Cedar City - 160 miles one way to get to Cedar City and then over to Modena to start up the one line to verify they were there and in the wrong county. That was 65 miles to Modena from Cedar City, then up to the County line. We put some miles on our new truck finally. It was 7 months old and we really had not gone that crazy yet.

1bb9022b-705c-4376-a218-63161f56856d.jpg

We got rained out twice but still managed to have fun.

Shirley~

PS: We do not submit to the NGS.....

John, do you use the current version of DSWorld? It has a way to submit correct state/county listings to the NGS
Thanks for mentioning this; I hadn't noticed this capability in DSWORLD before.

That said, if you run DSWORLD (in XP at least) in a non-administrator account, it won't allow you to write to the file (in the \Program Files\DSWORLD directory) that is used to store the data before uploading to NGS. The workaround is: right-click on DSWORLD and select 'run as...' and choose your administrator account.

I wish DSWORLD had a couple of other features: logging of activity, so you could see, for example, what wrong-county info you've reported, and a way to associate your name and contact info with the uploaded data in case there are issues on the other end.

Or maybe the program has those features and I haven't discovered them

~ArtMan~

This is what we saw on our Delorme mapping program to make us go and stay a couple of nights at Cedar City - 160 miles one way to get to Cedar City and then over to Modena to start up the one line to verify they were there and in the wrong county. That was 65 miles to Modena from Cedar City, then up to the County line. We put some miles on our new truck finally. It was 7 months old and we really had not gone that crazy yet.

Shirley~

Does that spell "I Call"?

Shirley~

Does that spell "I Call"?

Hee Hee, I told John that it looked like "I C U" = I see you, but your "I Call" is even better because as soon as the heavy tourist season died down, we were off and running. Even if it was just for a day and a half for that area. We had to go before the snow started, that road we traveled from Modena up is closed in the winter.

Shirley~

Shirley~

Very cool - I'm going to be out in that exact area this coming weekend and Monday, give or take some. :)

We also stopped by some of the old iron mine tailings and rockhounded some. Came up with some nice magnetite in the crystal shape. Even prettier than the old pictures on our web page here.

So, if rockhounding interests you, send us an email and we will give you more info.

Shirley~

I wish DSWORLD had a couple of other features: logging of activity, so you could see, for example, what wrong-county info you've reported, and a way to associate your name and contact info with the uploaded data in case there are issues on the other end.

Or maybe the program has those features and I haven't discovered them

~ArtMan~

ArtMan, I see someone has been listening to you. B) DSWorld now has logs, that keeps up with a lot of the things you submit.

8ec6abc3-ad4c-40dd-a94f-99849bf5db07.jpg?rnd=0.9477152

In the above pic background...Utilizing the stations, published, by state/county function of DSWorld, I could see one mark that is listed for Union Parish, but shows up in Lincoln Parish. After reading the datasheet, it is definitely in Lincoln Parish. I sent in a correction thru DSWorld, and here is the log for it.

c9a6629b-83a3-4c70-b0f9-52d83a161e8c.jpg?rnd=0.09644663

Good deal, and a great suggestion by you.

Edited by LSUFan

Interesting for me that the corrected mark was CQ1199.

"CQ" has long been used by writers and editors to signify that something is correct, even though it looks like it could be wrong, e.g. "Elvis Aron (CQ) Presley." The origin is unclear, though I've seen suggestions that it derives from "correct but queer."

Not to be confused with "CQ," the amateur radio — and, before that, telegraph — code meaning "calling anyone."

Your font of useless information,

-ArtMan-

"CQ" has long been used by writers and editors to signify that something is correct, even though it looks like it could be wrong, e.g. "Elvis Aron (CQ) Presley." The origin is unclear, though I've seen suggestions that it derives from "correct but queer."

Your font of useless information,

-ArtMan-

ArtMan, you are CQ. It does mean correct. It actually comes from the Phillips Code, which was a telegraph shorthand code so they could send press reports quicker. POTUS and SCOTUS are two of the main examples of Phillips code.

I got into a discussion of this same thing a few years back, which is how I know it..... but can't reveal the embarrassing details of how it happened in the forums. :lol:

Here is a link to an article on it, to add to your useless font. LOL

http://www.radions.net/philcode.htm

Edited by LSUFan

I was under the impression that the meaning of CQ in HAM radio was “seek you” which sounds like CQ. It could be also used to look for a single operator, for example “CQ CQ KH6HCW”.

But then I’ve been wrong before. :D

I've heard it used in that meaning too, as a couple of my railroad coworkers are Ham operators. I'm thinking tho, that this may be a 'new' development, as opposed to telegraph work. :)

I was under the impression that the meaning of CQ in HAM radio was “seek you” which sounds like CQ. It could be also used to look for a single operator, for example “CQ CQ KH6HCW”.

But then I’ve been wrong before. :D

I've heard it used in that meaning too, as a couple of my railroad coworkers are Ham operators. I'm thinking tho, that this may be a 'new' development, as opposed to telegraph work. :)

Agreed as HAM radio is newer than telegraph.

I was going to ask the HAM guy at my volunteer job (railroad) but he did not come in today.