(GPS) I know what I want but I need your expertise!

Maglor64

I am pretty new to geocaching. I inherited a Garmin nuvi dashboard unit and thought I would give this hobby a try. I ended up loving it! However, I quickly figured out that the dashboard unit wasn't what I was looking for. SO I am trying to find a better unit for the hobby.

I have done quite a bit of reading of reviews, and have searched through some threads on the subject here, which has helped me figure out what features I want but has not helped me to narrow it down to an idea unit. Here is what I think I want in order of importance:

2. Great satellite reception without dropping the signal.
  3. Paperless geocaching
  4. Full street-maps for the US plus basic street maps for the rest of the world.
  5. Internal compass (so I know which way I'm facing without moving).
  6. Ability to add topographical maps.
  7. Long battery life (at least 15 hours).
  8. $250 - $350 price range

Right now I'm kind of drawn to the Garmin GPSMAP 62S: My link

It's at the top of my price range, which is okay, but I'm worried that it doesn't come with full US maps. Do I have that right? Would I have to buy maps at another $100 or so cost?

Another one that I have my eye on is the eTrex 20, which doesn't appear to be for sale yet. My link

Is there a more appropriate unit I should be considering? Are my expectations realistic at all?

Thanks for your help. :)

Edited by Maglor64

The 62s is a good s=choice and the eTrx 20 should also be a good choice. But if you happen to like the touch screen interface then look into the Oregon and Dakota units. Having a paperless unit will be good but its only helpful if you have a Premium membership. Without a PM you can't get the paperless data for the caches just the basic info.

Do any of these units mentioned come with full US maps in them?

I actually have a Dakota 20 right now that I bought from Cabelas for $300. He said to download full maps for it would be another $100. The unit is basically useless out of the box with only the basic maps. And I'm actually not keen on the touch screen, so I'll be taking that back.

Is there a legal way to get free full US road maps?

Any thoughts on this site: My link

Edited by Maglor64

Do any of these units mentioned come with full US maps in them?

I actually have a Dakota 20 right now that I bought from Cabelas for $300. He said to download full maps for it would be another $100. The unit is basically useless out of the box with only the basic maps. And I'm actually not keen on the touch screen, so I'll be taking that back.

Is there a legal way to get free full US road maps?

Any thoughts on this site: My link

Actually the unit is not useless out of the box. You'll find most units don't have maps out of the box. There are some that have a T designation in there name and they come with full Topo maps. They also have allot more internal memory to support the maps. You don't need the maps to find a cache. I have a Dakota 10. I use a Nuvi to get to the parking location or any other good starting location for the cache. Then its to the Dakota and its compass page. I only use the topo map i put on my Dakota to verify that i'm on a good approach and i don't have a body of water in my way. Are you wanting a unit that can serve double duty as a Nav unit and a field unit?

As for the touch screen i find it much better to use then buttons. As you get more into caching you will start doing multi caches and puzzle caches. You will find the needs to enter cords manually. On a button interface that takes some time scrolling around the alphanumeric pad to enter all the info you want. It's much easier to enter it with a touch screen. Admittedly the Dakota's touch screen is a bit small. The Oregon's on the other had are just like the Dakotas but with larger screens.

The gpsfiledepot maps are pretty good topos, at the price you're looking for. ;) The only shortcoming is they are not routable, but are just as good if not better topos than Garmin's topos.

What I'm more immediately interested in is road maps. Does gpsfiledepot have free full US road maps?

Again, I want a GPS that has all the roads in the US and basic roads for the rest of the world.

Also, what does "not routable" mean. Do you mean that if I plug in my cords it wont point my in the right direction?

Actually the unit is not useless out of the box. You'll find most units don't have maps out of the box. There are some that have a T designation in there name and they come with full Topo maps. They also have allot more internal memory to support the maps. You don't need the maps to find a cache. I have a Dakota 10. I use a Nuvi to get to the parking location or any other good starting location for the cache. Then its to the Dakota and its compass page. I only use the topo map i put on my Dakota to verify that i'm on a good approach and i don't have a body of water in my way. Are you wanting a unit that can serve double duty as a Nav unit and a field unit?

As for the touch screen i find it much better to use then buttons. As you get more into caching you will start doing multi caches and puzzle caches. You will find the needs to enter cords manually. On a button interface that takes some time scrolling around the alphanumeric pad to enter all the info you want. It's much easier to enter it with a touch screen. Admittedly the Dakota's touch screen is a bit small. The Oregon's on the other had are just like the Dakotas but with larger screens.

Yeah, I've already done a few multi cache's and a couple mystery cache's so I see what you're saying about ease of entering cords.

Yes, I want to have a GPS that can serve "double duty" as you say. The other night we were running around doing some urban cache's and it was a paint to have to keep entering the cords twice and switch back and forth between the two units. Right now I almost like using the Nuvi more because I can orient myself to the cache be the roads around it. Only problems are the short battery life, the weak signal. and the fact that I can't tell which way I'm facing unless I'm moving.

Obviously the Dakota 20 doesn't have those problems, but again - no maps. :(

FYI, in addition to not being a huge touch screen fan, I was looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 62S is because how highly it's rated for having a great satellite signal (being a unit with a big 'ol antenna :D). The Dacota does well in tree cover, but it's definitely not as accurate as when in the open.

Another unit I was considering was the Magellan eXplorist GC. It appears to have full US road maps, but no internal compass.

Again, to rephrase part of my question: Is there a decent GPS unit out there that has full road maps in the $250-$350 range.

Edited by Maglor64

The GC only has the typical base map as most units do. Only showing the major roadways. Another problem with the GC is its inability to upgrade the maps. At least with the Dakota or the 62 you can get free routable maps for the unit. Then you can have turn by turn directions to the cache.

You may want to look into the DeLorme units. DeLormes are well priced and come with maps. I'm not familiar with there units since i've only ever owned Garmin units.

I am pretty new to geocaching. I inherited a Garmin nuvi dashboard unit and thought I would give this hobby a try. I ended up loving it! However, I quickly figured out that the dashboard unit wasn't what I was looking for. SO I am trying to find a better unit for the hobby.

I have done quite a bit of reading of reviews, and have searched through some threads on the subject here, which has helped me figure out what features I want but has not helped me to narrow it down to an idea unit. Here is what I think I want in order of importance:

2. Great satellite reception without dropping the signal.
  3. Paperless geocaching
  4. Full street-maps for the US plus basic street maps for the rest of the world.
  5. Internal compass (so I know which way I'm facing without moving).
  6. Ability to add topographical maps.
  7. Long battery life (at least 15 hours).
  8. $250 - $350 price range

Right now I'm kind of drawn to the Garmin GPSMAP 62S: My link

It's at the top of my price range, which is okay, but I'm worried that it doesn't come with full US maps. Do I have that right? Would I have to buy maps at another $100 or so cost?

Another one that I have my eye on is the eTrex 20, which doesn't appear to be for sale yet. My link

Is there a more appropriate unit I should be considering? Are my expectations realistic at all?

Take a look at the Garmin Oregon 450T.

Has topo maps and not a big learning curve.

Thanks for your help. :)

Since you already own a NUVI, I would suggest using it to navigate to the cache via the roads. Especially if you cache alone, verbal turn by turn directions and a larger screen are much easier to use. Combining a premium membership and GSAK allows you to store a virtually unlimited number of caches in your NUVI as POIs. You can use the same combination to download the coordinates to your handheld. This eliminates the need for roadmaps on the handheld,

The Explorist GC would probably work for you. It does come with detailed street maps of the USA and Canada. It is not routable but, you have the Navi for that job and while the Explorist GC doesn't have an internal compass it only take two to three steps to determine you bearing to a cache. The major drawback to the Explorist is it doesn't have tropo maps and you cannot download new maps for it but, these issues are minor. One "problem" with the Explorist is that the screen doesn't seem bright enough in some situations you have to shade the screen with your hand sometimes. HOwever, all and all it is a good unit for geocaching easy to load caches into, and it does allow for paperless logging of caches if that's your thing.

Thank you all for the input. I've been giving it a lot of thought. However, there is a new development.

I went to Cabelas to return the Dakota 20. While I was there I thought I might as well take another look at which GPS units they had. Lo-and-behold, the Dakota 20 was on sale for $100 less than I had payed!!! The Garmin GPSMAP 62S was also on sale. So these two are the front runners for me right now. Here's the brake-down:

Garmin Dakota 20: $199.99

Garmin GPSMAP 62S: $329.99

That brings the GPSMAP well into my price range and the Dakota 20 below it. Cabelas has a bundle you can add to any unit for $50. I'm not sure, but I thought I remember him saying this included full US road maps. If I got that bundle with the Dakota 20 I'm still well within my price range, but the bundle with the GPSMAP is over my price range, however I may be willing to stretch a little if it's the right unit for me.

Both units have paperless geocaching. The Dakota 20 has a touch screen but the GPSMAP has a better antenna. I really like the idea of great reception even in heavy tree cover. Do you all think the GPSMAP is that much better in terms of reception to justify the price difference?

Also, the GPSMAP was the shaded relief in the base-map. Is that an important feature? I think the GPSMAP also comes with a bunch of accessories (like bike mount - which is nice). Are there any other differences I should consider?

Right now, my biggest question is: Is there a noticeable difference in satellite reception between the 2 units I am considering?

The 2 units have the same antenna in them and have relatively the same accuracy. Though there are arguments to be had about the antenna being more external like the GPSMAP vs. Internal like the Dakota. There may be some interference from an internal antenna but not enough to make a difference.

But if the GPSMAP is a bundle pack with bike mounts and you have the money then go for it. Its one of the most popular Garmin units sold.

I own a Dakota 20 and am very happy with it!:)

Plus, there are free routable maps out there for Garmin GPSr's, http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I use those paired with the NW Trails that are layered on top. Great maps!

Cool, good to know. Right now I'm leaning toward the Dakota 20. :)

I hope I can figure out how to use that site when the time comes.

Also, what are "NW trails"?

The 2 units have the same antenna in them and have relatively the same accuracy. Though there are arguments to be had about the antenna being more external like the GPSMAP vs. Internal like the Dakota. There may be some interference from an internal antenna but not enough to make a difference.

But if the GPSMAP is a bundle pack with bike mounts and you have the money then go for it. Its one of the most popular Garmin units sold.

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

Glad to know it's the same antenna. Sounds like the little bit of better accuracy the GPSMAP may or may not have isn't enough to justify a $130 price difference.

Other than accesories that might come with the GPSMAP, why might you recommend it over the Dakota 20?

Edited by Maglor64

I own a Dakota 20 and am very happy with it!:)

Plus, there are free routable maps out there for Garmin GPSr's, http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I use those paired with the NW Trails that are layered on top. Great maps!

Cool, good to know. Right now I'm leaning toward the Dakota 20. :)

I hope I can figure out how to use that site when the time comes.

Also, what are "NW trails"?

NW Trails (or North-West Trails) is a a GPS map that can be added atop other maps providing more trails. You don't seem to live in the NW of North America though, so it's probably not much of a help.

Here's the link: http://www.switchbacks.com/gpsmaps.aspx

That other map I mentioned seems better than any other map that road map Garmin sells... well to me at least.;)

Since you already own a NUVI, I would suggest using it to navigate to the cache via the roads. Especially if you cache alone, verbal turn by turn directions and a larger screen are much easier to use. Combining a premium membership and GSAK allows you to store a virtually unlimited number of caches in your NUVI as POIs. You can use the same combination to download the coordinates to your handheld. This eliminates the need for roadmaps on the handheld,

I agree with Team Taran. How many all-in=one products have you purchased that lived up to your needs or expectations? I'm still looking for one.

I use my NUVI to get to the cache area, even used it to find 3 cache's on Saturday when my Android battery was toast. Two of those were in the woods. Certainly wouldn't recommend it for it's speed of updating, but it will get you within 30 feet or less.

If you already have a car navigation unit that allows you to import way points or input them, then you really only need a handheld that is accurate in the trees and let the car unit do your navigating and serve as a backup option.

ANyone gonna try and talk me into the GPSMAP 62S?

I'm heading out for the day in about 30 minutes...

Well? Hope you got the D20--I have one and really like it. A few functions could be added (that were on my Legend Cx), but overall, a nice little unit. And $199 is a great price.

Yep! Got one today! :D

Now it's map loading time!

What do you use? I'm thinking about getting Garmin's City Navigator. Amazon has it for $50. My link And having just saved $100 on the Dakota 20, that doesn't seem like a terrible price.

Well? Hope you got the D20--I have one and really like it. A few functions could be added (that were on my Legend Cx), but overall, a nice little unit. And $199 is a great price.

What do you use? I'm thinking about getting Garmin's City Navigator. Amazon has it for $50. My link And having just saved $100 on the Dakota 20, that doesn't seem like a terrible price.

That's what I use, and that, too, is a very good price! But, do a search on here about the difference between the SD card and CN on disk. Some prefer one over the other.

Edited by GrateBear
Glad to know it's the same antenna.

Well, not quite. The 62 series has a quad helix antenna, while the Dakota has a ceramic patch antenna. This gives the 62 an advantage in terms of reception, but in real life it hardly makes any difference.

Yeah, the guy at Cabelas basically said the same thing. Not identical, but a negligible difference.

That's what I use, and that, too, is a very good price! But, do a search on here about the difference between the SD card and CN on disk. Some prefer one over the other.

I grabbed the $40 plug and play SD card from Amazon just for ease of use. Hope it gets here fast! I can't wait to use it!!!

Give the free one a try first, see if you like it.

I'll definitely go with the free one for any topo maps I get, but ultimately I decided to go with City Navigator for the POI's.

Also, the ease of use appealed to me. I don't know anything about downloading maps and the idea of just sticking an SD card in and that's it makes me happy. :)

I'll definitely go with the free one for any topo maps I get, but ultimately I decided to go with City Navigator for the POI's.

Also, the ease of use appealed to me. I don't know anything about downloading maps and the idea of just sticking an SD card in and that's it makes me happy. :)

We're noobs too. Our research led to the differing map update pricing/rules for the download/CD versions vs. the SD card version. You may prefer the SD card for ease of use anyway.

I'm lovin' the Dakota 20 with City Navigator.

I got a Premium Membership to make paperless Geocaching easier. I had been downloading one cache at a time to my Dakota, but I would like to be able to select a whole page to download. I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

I've been to this page a bunch of times: My link But I still haven't succeeded in doing it yet.

I use a Mac.

I downloaded Routebuddy which looks really nice. Reminds me of the iTunes layout. Problem is when I tried to download a bunch of them I couldn't without paying for the 'full version' of Routebuddy.

I also downloaded Google Earth, but have no idea how it can help me.

What do you all do to download mass amounts of caches at once?

Pocket Queries are a great way to download many caches :), here's another link to an article about them:

Knowledge Books

They are awesome!

Okay, so when I do a pocket query of my zip code and I get this:

Screenshot2011-09-24at74627PM.png

(Incidentally I've seen this screen many times as I have done an ordinary search of my zip code before. I've also done the following several times before as well.)

I check the box indicated by the arrow above, and all the boxes are checked like so:

Screenshot2011-09-24at74641PM.png

Then I go to the bottom of the page and click "Download Waypoints".

Screenshot2011-09-24at74653PM.png

At which point Safari downloads the page full of caches and I get this far:

Screenshot2011-09-24at74709PM.png

I need to know how to get all those caches onto my GPS. :(

I mean, I've been able to download one at a time by clicking this:

Screenshot2011-09-24at75615PM.png

Or this:

Screenshot2011-09-24at75627PM.png

But I really want to be able to download a bunch at a time.

What am I missing?

Edited by Maglor64

I'm lovin' the Dakota 20 with City Navigator.

I use a Mac

Then you want to use BaseCamp for Macintosh

When you run a pocket query, a GPX file should be sent to you VIA email.

Here's what you should do:

Go to the Pocket Query page and select "create a new query".

pq1.jpg

Once on the next page, give the query a name and select days to run (if you want it to run the same day you created select that day)

pq2.jpg

Then select the different options of what you want to include/exclude.

Next, select where you want to center the Query from, as well as how much of a radius you want to include.

pq3.jpg

Click "Submit" and a new page should come up with a small piece of text at the top reading somthing like this (whatever amount of caches your Query included).

pq4.jpg

Now, check you email a soon enough( usually a couple minutes, sometimes longer) you will receive a message with a GPX file attached. That GPX file contains all the caches from your Pocket Query.

Transfer those files(once extracted) to your GPS`s GPX folder and off you go!

Hope this helps!

Any questions?

Okay I got this email:

Screenshot2011-09-24at83538PM.png

Clicked on the link (now in purple) and got the same old page:

Screenshot2011-09-24at74627PM.png

and then this:

Screenshot2011-09-24at74709PM.png

Still don't know where to go from there. Is the "WinZip" thing what I'm missing?

Seems that the key lies somewhere in here :lol: :

That GPX file contains all the caches from your Pocket Query.

Transfer those files(once extracted) to your GPS`s GPX folder and off you go!

Hope this helps!

Any questions?

Tell me more about that bit!

Edited by Maglor64

Okay I got this email:

Screenshot2011-09-24at83538PM.png

Clicked on the link (now in purple) and got the same old page:

There should be a file attached to that email, if not, go back to the Pocket Query page (the one in my first picture) and select the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab.

pq5.jpg

Then click on the Query you want to download, and it will download.

Edited by Mr. Wilson & a Mt. Goat

That "same old page" that looks like a regular search page is a /preview/ of the pocket query. Not the actual pocket query, which would either be attached to the e-mail or (for queries over 500 caches) only downloadable from the website. (500 query queries can be downloaded as well.)

Also, you want to avoid .loc files. They do not have very much info in them and would require converting to be used in your GPS anyways. You want .gpx files. For the pocket queries, they should be inside a .zip file. (If the .zip has .loc files in it, you need to edit the query online and set it to do .gpx files instead.)

Downloading .loc files is something Basic Members may do.

Still don't know where to go from there. Is the "WinZip" thing what I'm missing?

"WinZip"? I thought you were on a Macintosh. Just double click the gpx.zip file and it exstacts to a folder where you will have a pair of .gpx files. Open BaseCamp ans go to File->Import-> and select the .gpx files and they will be added as lists in BaseCamp.

There should be a file attached to that email, if not, go back to the Pocket Query page (the one in my first picture) and select the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab.

pq5.jpg

Then click on the Query you want to download, and it will download.

That "same old page" that looks like a regular search page is a /preview/ of the pocket query. Not the actual pocket query, which would either be attached to the e-mail or (for queries over 500 caches) only downloadable from the website. (500 query queries can be downloaded as well.)

You guys are right. I completely missed that there was a zip file attached to that email.

I was successful. And I now have 500 caches on my Dakota! :)

Because I have BaseCamp the files opened there.

Is that what you're talking about coggins?

"WinZip"? I thought you were on a Macintosh. Just double click the gpx.zip file and it exstacts to a folder where you will have a pair of .gpx files. Open BaseCamp ans go to File->Import-> and select the .gpx files and they will be added as lists in BaseCamp.

So you do the Pocket Query and then BaseCamp?

Edited by Maglor64

You guys are right. I completely missed that there was a zip file attached to that email.

I was successful. And I now have 500 caches on my Dakota! :)

Because I have BaseCamp the files opened there. Pretty sure there are extra steps I'm doing though.

Did you change the number of caches you wanted to more then 500? It can go up to 1000 caches, but 500 is the default. If there were more then 500 in the requested area, you may be missing some.

One more thing I thought I'd add.

I load them the files to my GPS by copy/pasting them to the GPX folder of my GPS, not by going through BaseCamp or other software(although that works fine)

Yep. There is a lot more you can do when you use BaseCamp with the pocket queries that if you copy them through the finder to the gps, the old school way of doing it.

Looks like BaseCamp will make organizing Cache's a lot easier.

Yes, there are some very cool things that you will be able to do once you get started.

Although if you want to organise caches, then GSAK is the way to go :)

Also, don't be distracted by recommendations to use GSAK as windoz users don't know what an iMac is.

Yep. There is a lot more you can do when you use BaseCamp with the pocket queries that if you copy them through the finder to the gps, the old school way of doing it.

Looks like BaseCamp will make organizing Cache's a lot easier.

Yes, there are some very cool things that you will be able to do once you get started.

What are these cool things you speak of? because I'd like to know as well.:)